The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

anyone done mechanical engineering know the workload??
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 41
The J-Man
I'm maths first year. recommended work load is 40 hrs including lectures. i wud say i do abt 25. So far kinda been struggling cause its hard to stay focused, but it is definitely bearable. You just gota do some work.

What do you mean?? Do you study for 5 hours a day (excluding Weekends) Or do you only do an hour of work a day (including lectures)? :confused:
Reply 42
studyboy
What do you mean?? Do you study for 5 hours a day (excluding Weekends) Or do you only do an hour of work a day (including lectures)? :confused:

40 hours would be including lectures unless the maths department expects a lot more than the physics department!
Reply 43
yeah seriously, how is the Mech eng workload?
They (mech eng.) would have you believe they have the hardest course of the lot. They don't claim to have the largest workload, but those who wish to do well usually study outside of the lectures. My housemate on the other hand does no work, goes out most nights, and spends the weekends in bed. And he's failing. Despite going to every lecture, apparently.
Reply 45
You're going to fail any course at Imperial if all you do is just go to every lecture.
I don't even go to lectures..:eek:
Reply 47
What about Biochemistry? Is the workload bareable?
Also, it's possible to combine Biochemistry with studying one language (or maybe two) at the humanities department? Isn't that too much workload?
Reply 48
Victor See
40 hours would be including lectures unless the maths department expects a lot more than the physics department!

40 hours is just an arbitrary number. Slowpokes like me will need at least 60 hours a week excluding lectures!! :frown: (Being serious here!) I just hate it come week 6 and beyond. So many coursework and tests!
Reply 49
bigdaveracer
anyone done mechanical engineering know the workload??

Get ready for an amazing first year, then a suicidal second year. Then finally third and fourth year your gonna do jackall until you start studying for exams in which case you don't have a life for about months. That's how I've done it atleast :P

In any case, year 1, 3, 4 perfectly fine, some might say we do less than others. 2nd year, ridiculous, unimaginable and downright evil. 1-2 reports every week, 9-5 days most days of the week and ridiculous amount of coursework.
ponjavic
Get ready for an amazing first year, then a suicidal second year. Then finally third and fourth year your gonna do jackall until you start studying for exams in which case you don't have a life for about months. That's how I've done it atleast :P

In any case, year 1, 3, 4 perfectly fine, some might say we do less than others. 2nd year, ridiculous, unimaginable and downright evil. 1-2 reports every week, 9-5 days most days of the week and ridiculous amount of coursework.

what do you mean by you do nothing in years 3 and 4??

surely you have even mroe assignments and major projects to do?

though second year sounds horrendous, dont think ill be able to cope base don that and the fact if i get in, ill seriously be scraping in
ponjavic

Is it any easier for the civil engineers?
Reply 52
bigdaveracer
what do you mean by you do nothing in years 3 and 4??

surely you have even mroe assignments and major projects to do?

though second year sounds horrendous, dont think ill be able to cope base don that and the fact if i get in, ill seriously be scraping in

Yeah correction on this one :/ I barely did anything last term, now the sickest amount of coursework has hit me and while I do get out twice a week the amount of allnighters I'm doing has increased rapidly. 24+ hours on one single report for a B- and a disciplinary talk with a supervisor, fuk yes!
Reply 53
Snobpence17
Is it any easier for the civil engineers?

From what I've heard the distribution of work load is quite different but the amount is about the same, i.e ridiculous and not comparable to other london unis (for engineering, and from what I've heard!)
Reply 54
What about the same question but MSc Finance? Has anyone did it? How it was?
Reply 55
Im thinking of applying for Geology through clearing this year, or properly for 2010 entry. This thread has scared me a bit.. how does the workload for Geology compare to that of UCL?

I keep seeing more and more posts suggesting that you have to put masses of work in at Imperial and will still struggle to do well without being 110% focused on your course. :s-smilie:
Reply 56
Imperial through clearing ? That doesn't add up.

And i'm a mathematician.
Reply 57
spex
Imperial through clearing ? That doesn't add up.

And i'm a mathematician.

Geology is on Extra and it appears to be undersubscribed.. I assumed that there is a likelihood of it going to clearing.
Reply 58
taheki
Geology is on Extra and it appears to be undersubscribed.. I assumed that there is a likelihood of it going to clearing.

Yea it is, i think it will go through extra, so def try and apply!
Also yea its quite undersubscribed, i didn't even know they did geology till a few weeks b4 application!

And apparently, yes the workload at imperial is tough. In the first year not much work is needed/done outside of lectures (for geology), but in year 2 everything steps up like 10 notches, with loads of coursework/reports etc...*gulp* (so i've heard).
how about EE Engineering? I just know I have put in much efforts to get 4As in my Edexcel A-levels, really hope that i can cope with the workloads..

Latest

Trending

Trending