The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

jennikay
Suppose it depends on the boarding school... I almost got sent to The Mount :frown:

Er... is that a bad one? We had Winchester College down the road who we always made fun of because they had their business suits and gowns etc... but then they called us commoners most of the time, so the banter was mutual :p:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
sunspoon
Er... is that a bad one? We had Winchester College down the road who we always made fun of because they had their business suits and gowns etc... but then they called us commoners most of the time, so the banter was mutual :p:

Its INCREDIBLY posh... it's in York, I told someone I know from there that I was considering going there and they laughed and laughed at me, and said I was too common for that school. :p:
And I'm not common by most peoples standards!
Reply 102
studyboy
No peaches6994! That is too little! I don't think even the smartest in my course (Maths) does only 3 hours a day.

omg :frown:
blip
omg :frown:

I think (I hope! :frown: ) that was sarcasm. If not, well, I'm destined to fail :p:
I don't think I've ever done 3 hours of work a week outside of lessons...
jennikay
Its INCREDIBLY posh... it's in York, I told someone I know from there that I was considering going there and they laughed and laughed at me, and said I was too common for that school. :p:
And I'm not common by most peoples standards!

I've played against a few poshies in and around York (St Peter's, Ampleforth, Pocklington...) but I'd never heard of The Mount. But apparently our girls play them occasionally - presumably it's an all girls school?

Edit: Though in hindsight Google would have sufficed - sorry to hijack the thread :awesome:
Blatant Troll
I've played against a few poshies in and around York (St Peter's, Ampleforth, Pocklington...) but I'd never heard of The Mount. But apparently our girls play them occasionally - presumably it's an all girls school?

Edit: Though in hindsight Google would have sufficed - sorry to hijack the thread :awesome:

Oooh, Ampleforth lol. I stayed there for the weekend once - really really pretty, but ****ing ridiculously expensive lol. And Catholic. Not a big fan of Catholicism.
The Mount is a Quaker school :awesome: and yeah, it was all girls. Apparently they have all lived very sheltered lives. I figured it was probably like Oxbridge - just a bit too posh for my liking :p:

Ended up at just a different state school :rolleyes: But it saved my parents some ridiculous amount of money and I'm sure I was happier there than I would've been at the Mount.
Reply 106
jennikay
I think (I hope! :frown: ) that was sarcasm. If not, well, I'm destined to fail :p:
I don't think I've ever done 3 hours of work a week outside of lessons...

same!!
i never did work outside lessons in school - not even homework :frown: . (that did ofcourse mean lots of self-flaggelation before exam time).

i guess going to imperial is a case of CHANGE or DIE!
blip
same!!
i never did work outside lessons in school - not even homework :frown: . (that did ofcourse mean lots of self-flaggelation before exam time).

Same. :frown: though There wasn't much revision for maths :rolleyes: just physics! I spent probably about 10x the time on physics as I did for Maths/Further Maths combined...

I'm going to have to work a lot harder at Imperial, but shouldn't be too bad. I'll be happy if I get a night out once a week/fortnight and get to see my boyfriend every week/fortnight :smile:

I'd imagine it will be fine if you do all the compulsory work e.g. assessed problem sheets, and some of the optional work, and have decent notes.

And then revise like crazy before exams. :p:
Blatant Troll
I've played against a few poshies in and around York (St Peter's, Ampleforth, Pocklington...)

:teehee: Did you play home or away :mmm:
Undiscovery
:teehee: Did you play home or away :mmm:

Well regardless, I scored on many an occasion :teehee:
Blatant Troll
Well regardless, I scored on many an occasion :teehee:

Hmmm Ok. What is your impression of 'those' schools :mmm:
Reply 111
ChosenOne
ChemEng. Don't think I am mistaken, older students have told me this and we were told by tutors at the start of the year that if you make it through this year, you're very likely to get your degree. 2nd year has highest failure rate etc ... We was told this year will be 'intense' and that we should find the workload in the final 2 years 'lighter'.

jeeezz u guys have managed to scare the hell out of me!!!:eek:
Is 2nd year of ChemEng really that hard??? or are u guys just exaggerating:p:
Emperor
jeeezz u guys have managed to scare the hell out of me!!!:eek:
Is 2nd year of ChemEng really that hard??? or are u guys just exaggerating:p:

2nd year was hard. It's bearable though, don't worry. Imperial's a good place to study. :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending