The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

york seems too have negative stereotypes, ugly students, boring, cold ...
University of York
York
jorge regula
he university as a whole has a bit of a small town mentality - most peoples' idea of a good night out is a few sips of cider from a plastic bottle, going for a dance at the local chav/cheese club then back to bed by 1.30am.

i suppose binge drinking then puking your guts out is a good night out then XD
Reply 62
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
i suppose binge drinking then puking your guts out is a good night out then XD

God forbid people remember their night out or don't sleep through their lessons.
Reply 63
laser
The Willow is by far the best Chinese restaurant in York (if you want disgusting Chinese food, go to Jumbos) - although I've not been since they stopped doing the all you can eat buffet.

I hope your joking
Reply 64
Cooljack
I hope your joking

No. Where's better?
Reply 65
anywhere that hasn't nearly gone under after two serious health code violations, apparently they had "gunge" growing out of something in the kitchen.
Reply 66
I think York is great! The city is really querky, and ok maybe the campus looks a bit grim at the moment - but it's winter! In the spring, vines will be flowering on the walls and there will be cute little ducklings! :biggrin:

I'm not really a hard-core drinker, but a lot of my flatmates like to go out a lot and they have some awesome nights. Fancy-dress when going out is always fun... and a lot of people do the 'golf' drinking game. Tru, the Gallery, Ziggys and Club Salvation are great clubs. Ziggys is my favourite - it's like an old mansion inside. Tru is modern and is always a good night. There are also some good nights at the Duchess - silent discos :smile:

We have 2 pubs near campus - I go to the Charles a lot, it's always busy and really cheap. (Which reminds me - people in York are really genuine and friendly. I left my phone in the Charles, but luckily someone handed it in. That would have never have happened where I'm from haha)

We also have loads of cocktail bars, such as The Evil Eye, Montys, Nagshead (although someone mentioned that it's really bad - I like it's atmosphere! Grungy but awesome :p:) Vodka Revolutions, .. and also a new bar on campus which is pretty swish (The Courtyard)

There are loads of clubs and societies to keep you busy. This is a great way to get involved on social nights if you want to go out drinking. Not to mention trips (aka a weekend of partying).

Leeds is only half an hour away too!

There are also some really nice places to have meals with your friends. Akbars is a great Indian Restaurant with a busy atmosphere - plus their naan breads are huuuge. Betty's Tearooms (expensive) is worth a visit or two...
Here's proof of the naan bread :p:
Just remember guys, it's the company you keep that matters above all else :smile:
Reply 69
The novelty sized naan does help though :smile:
Reply 70
misternite
Just remember guys, it's the company you keep that matters above all else :smile:

True facts.
Reply 71
laser
No. Where's better?

I have a friend who had very bad food poisoning after eating at Willows. If you want good, authentic Chinese try Happy Valley on Goodramgate. Great food.

OP, basically, if you think York's got no atmosphere, don't come. People from bigger towns expect more nightlife in my experience; if you want London/Manchester style nights out, York doesn't stand a chance in measuring up. However, York as a Uni is laid-back and willing to laugh at itself (hence the fondness for cheese in the clubs). This may not be to your tastes, but understand that we find it offensive when you say that it's boring.
Reply 72
Poica
OP, basically, if you think York's got no atmosphere, don't come. People from bigger towns expect more nightlife in my experience; if you want London/Manchester style nights out, York doesn't stand a chance in measuring up. However, York as a Uni is laid-back and willing to laugh at itself (hence the fondness for cheese in the clubs). This may not be to your tastes, but understand that we find it offensive when you say that it's boring.

Quite frankly I find it ridiculous that you take this personally and are offended by my opinion (which I've based on a lot more than an open day). And not everyone has found it offensive... please try and take it the way it was meant: me worrying and wanting some valid argument against my opinion. Sorry for any offence.
Reply 73
Annie354
Quite frankly I find it ridiculous that you take this personally and are offended by my opinion (which I've based on a lot more than an open day). And not everyone has found it offensive... please try and take it the way it was meant: me worrying and wanting some valid argument against my opinion. Sorry for any offence.

I'm sorry, if I called your mother ugly, stupid and dull after meeting her a couple of times, you'd be offended, and rightly so. You're insulting somewhere I love based on a couple of days here.

If your opinion is that York is cold, miserable and boring then you've already answered your question as to whether or not you want to come here.
lol but she didnt call 'your mother ugly, stupid and dull'
Reply 75
Poica
I'm sorry, if I called your mother ugly, stupid and dull after meeting her a couple of times, you'd be offended, and rightly so. You're insulting somewhere I love based on a couple of days here.

If your opinion is that York is cold, miserable and boring then you've already answered your question as to whether or not you want to come here.

My mother is not the same as a city/campus! Comparing the two is once again ridiculous. And I have spent more than a couple of days there, you're now the one making silly assumptions.
I didn't make this thread to just express my opinion on York, I wanted more of a student's insight into uni life...
Reply 76
Annie354
My mother is not the same as a city/campus! Comparing the two is once again ridiculous. And I have spent more than a couple of days there, you're now the one making silly assumptions.
I didn't make this thread to just express my opinion on York, I wanted more of a student's insight into uni life...

No, your mother isn't the same as a city. It was an analogy, and an extreme one to make a point. I chose your mother because I assumed you love her. I love York. Therefore, I found your opinions offensive.
Sorry for the assumptions. Have you lived here? Have you been here for more than a week? If you have spent so much time here, surely you know what it's like?

I think you have every right to express an opinion, and try to get an idea of what the University is like. I also think we have every right to be offended by your negative opinion. Some people will respond positively and try to make you see why they love the place. Some people like me are less forgiving and not want silly little girls at their University, bitching.
Reply 77
Poica
No, your mother isn't the same as a city. It was an analogy, and an extreme one to make a point. I chose your mother because I assumed you love her. I love York. Therefore, I found your opinions offensive.
Sorry for the assumptions. Have you lived here? Have you been here for more than a week? If you have spent so much time here, surely you know what it's like?

I think you have every right to express an opinion, and try to get an idea of what the University is like. I also think we have every right to be offended by your negative opinion. Some people will respond positively and try to make you see why they love the place. Some people like me are less forgiving and not want silly little girls at their University, bitching.

1. It isn't your university, and I haven't been bitching
2. My mother really doesn't work in your analogy... you shouldn't get offended just because you love something, that really won't end well.
3. Yes, I've spent a lot of time in York (especially accumulatively) and that is how I reached my opinion. But I realise that my opinion (just like everyone else's) is limited and therefore I've asked for other peoples, stating my opinion as I did in order to get more knowledge on the subject,
4. I'm only saying it's silly to get offended by my vaguely stated opinion on a city/campus/uni, and have specifically apologised for any random offence.
5. You're being offensive at this point and making things personal, not me.
Reply 78
Annie354
1. It isn't your university, and I haven't been bitching
2. My mother really doesn't work in your analogy... you shouldn't get offended just because you love something, that really won't end well.
3. Yes, I've spent a lot of time in York (especially accumulatively) and that is how I reached my opinion. But I realise that my opinion (just like everyone else's) is limited and therefore I've asked for other peoples, stating my opinion as I did in order to get more knowledge on the subject,
4. I'm only saying it's silly to get offended by my vaguely stated opinion on a city/campus/uni, and have specifically apologised for any random offence.
5. You're being offensive at this point and making things personal, not me.

"OK, that is my main problem with York: it has a miserable atmosphere and the social side doesn't seem that great either.

I know people this year who have started York and even though they love it, from my point of view the events (especially during freshers week) were flat and boring, and overall it doesn't seem as though there's much going on on the social side.

Everything at York for my course is brilliant, it's just that side of it which stopping me from wanting to firm the offer.

Can anyone attest to this? Does anyone have really cool freshers week stories? Or can tell me a lot of what York has to offer in regards to being social....

(Sorry if this is a whiny thread, it's just the one thing really bugging me about my decision)"
Yeah. Vaguely stated. Not bitchy.

The fact that you would not get upset if someone insulted something you loved worries me. The fact that you cannot (or will not) understand the offense you might have caused someone worries me.

However, I suppose I lowered the tone by insulting you. I apologise for that.
Reply 79
Poica
Yeah. Vaguely stated. Not bitchy.

The fact that you would not get upset if someone insulted something you loved worries me. The fact that you cannot (or will not) understand the offense you might have caused someone worries me.

However, I suppose I lowered the tone by insulting you. I apologise for that.

I certainly didn't target things at York and attack them. I just stated general things...
And its a city/uni/campus - people insult Britain all the time and even though I love it and I'm incredibly loyal, I wouldn't get offended, it isn't personal.

Latest

Trending

Trending