The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rogan

Original post by rogan
Whitworth park is a lovely social place to be, dont be put off by the small bedrooms theyre more than enough space for any student!

to add onto a few posts above, grosvenor place is flat based but not in the way most are.. easy flat is a corridor leading to another flat, sort of like a travelodge split into corridors each corridor has a locked bathroom and kitchen only the corridor bedroom owners have keys too

Not all are small - I have the smallest room and it's still fine, but some of my flatmate's rooms are massive! Easily double the size of mine! Whitworth is built so strangely...

And the locked bathroom thing really put me off applying there - i know I'd always forget the key when bursting for the loo :colondollar:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 1181
Original post by steffi.alexa
Not all are small - I have the smallest room and it's still fine, but some of my flatmate's rooms are massive! Easily double the size of mine! Whitworth is built so strangely...

And the locked bathroom thing really put me off applying there - i know I'd always forget the key when bursting for the loo :colondollar:

whitworth has the benefit of being one of the more social of the inner city halls though, looks lovely out in summer

but yes very very strangely laid out, god knows what made them have flats of like 12, 2 stories high, but still in one flat.. especially when the entraces to the flats are on the 2nd floor..

totally bizarre
Original post by rogan

Original post by rogan
whitworth has the benefit of being one of the more social of the inner city halls though, looks lovely out in summer

but yes very very strangely laid out, god knows what made them have flats of like 12, 2 stories high, but still in one flat.. especially when the entraces to the flats are on the 2nd floor..

totally bizarre

I know, it's gorgeous right now - everyone's out on the grass/picnic tables chilling etc (okay, during the daytime haha) :coma:

Yeah, I spent the first semester finding it difficult to sleep as I tried to place where I was in relation to other people... Eventually worked it all out!
I'm thinking
1 - Weston hall (did this used to be called something else? There's never much mention of it anywhere)
2 - Grosvenor st. building
3 - Whitworth park

Is it bad that they're all in the city? As in, am I less likely to get in? I liked the whole area better, so I don't really want to be elsewhere.
I'm keen to apply to fallowfield for the social aspect.. however, out of curiorsity I'm just wondering why fallowfield is so popular? I would think city would be more popular as it's closer to all the bars and clubs?!

Also, is it hard/expensive to get back to fallowfield at night after a night out?
aah okay so Bowden is generally a bit nicer than Grosv. St? How different is Ronson hall from these two?

I didn't get a chance to see Whitworth though it interested me when I first saw it online. I don't quite understand what people mean by the layout? I know I'm specific in not wanting anything like a hall of rooms layout, i.e Wright Robinson I felt like it was a hotel on a school trip, really not my style! I just liked the idea of fewer people sharing facilities so must mean flat based!

Also, would people recommend the Victoria Park campus over city campus? I thought Canterbury court was reeally nice, but not sure if it's worth the higher price socially and convenience-wise!
Reply 1186
Original post by Katterson
I'm thinking
1 - Weston hall (did this used to be called something else? There's never much mention of it anywhere)
2 - Grosvenor st. building
3 - Whitworth park

Is it bad that they're all in the city? As in, am I less likely to get in? I liked the whole area better, so I don't really want to be elsewhere.

weston hall isnt mentioned much as its full of loaded international students that dont leave their bedrooms (a bit of a stereotype but its kinda true) its rather boring and definately not worth its huge cost,

Grosvy streets lovely as with whitworth park, id say apply to those 2 and grosvenor place, you'll definately get into one of those 3 for sure
Reply 1187
Original post by laumbrooks
aah okay so Bowden is generally a bit nicer than Grosv. St? How different is Ronson hall from these two?

I didn't get a chance to see Whitworth though it interested me when I first saw it online. I don't quite understand what people mean by the layout? I know I'm specific in not wanting anything like a hall of rooms layout, i.e Wright Robinson I felt like it was a hotel on a school trip, really not my style! I just liked the idea of fewer people sharing facilities so must mean flat based!

Also, would people recommend the Victoria Park campus over city campus? I thought Canterbury court was reeally nice, but not sure if it's worth the higher price socially and convenience-wise!

Up until recently ronson was a post grad hall and i think its still mainly post grad students.. although that may have changed,
gros street/place/bowder are all similar just laid out a bit differantly, all nice

if your looking for small flats (ie 4-6 people sharing a central kitchen without ajoining bedrooms) definately stay away from the city center, as most are similar layout to wright robinson in that sense, fallowfields halls are a bit more as you described.

Victoria park, in my eyes is the worst of both worlds, your further away from town/all the cheap bars and clubs in town/cheap food in town as well as the same things in fallowfield, its also harder to justify getting the bus from VP so it can take you longer than getting the bus from fallowfield
Reply 1188
Hi, I've been reading through this thread! Lots of really helpful information, thanks! :biggrin:
I went to the Open House yesterday, which was really fun.
I'm going for catered so somewhat limited on my choices. I probably would have gone for a city residence if they had catered there. As it is, my choices are probably going to be: 1. Ashburne 2. St. Gabriels 3. Dalton Ellis
Yeah, I know St. Gabriels is an all girls place but the people seemed really nice and it seemed nice altogether. I thought it was a bit cramped though and I don't know about sharing a flat with only four girls so might ask for non-ensuite. The bedrooms with en-suite were MASSIVE though. They were actually bigger than my current bedroom. I thought Ashburne was really nice. It looked like a really balanced place. The rooms were a good size and the furniture was all newish. Dalton Ellis was a bit austere for my tastes. All of the people showing us around were like, "We like studying here and we are very proud of our academic history." The rooms tended to be a bit small though. It was all very clean and modern looking but perhaps a bit sterile. We also looked at Hulme but it seemed really grim to me. It was really dark and a bit dirty. The rooms all had old furniture in them and the cupboard doors in one room, were almost falling off.
Didn't look at anywhere else but if anyone has suggestions for anywhere else I should consider, it would be great! Is anyone else going for catered as well? Seems like everyone is doing self-catered.
I've put Oak House with basin, Oak house without basin then Richmond park (dont really wanna go there). Oak house did look pretty ugly on the open day but why pay like £30 more a week
Original post by sdiana91
I'm keen to apply to fallowfield for the social aspect.. however, out of curiorsity I'm just wondering why fallowfield is so popular? I would think city would be more popular as it's closer to all the bars and clubs?!

Also, is it hard/expensive to get back to fallowfield at night after a night out?

I think it's most popular because of it's reputation as the most social place. The most halls are there, so most people etc. Plus there's shops/bars etc and buses into uni/town every 30 seconds or so.

It isn't really hard or expensive to get back to anywhere in Manchester. Taxis split between the 5/6 people are never more than a few quid, and if all else fails you can get the bus which runs pretty much 24hours, and if you're in FF you'll probably buy a bus pass anyway so it won't cost you any extra (at the time.)
Original post by rogan

Original post by rogan
weston hall isnt mentioned much as its full of loaded international students that dont leave their bedrooms (a bit of a stereotype but its kinda true) its rather boring and definately not worth its huge cost,

Grosvy streets lovely as with whitworth park, id say apply to those 2 and grosvenor place, you'll definately get into one of those 3 for sure

Doesn't seem like that - quite a few of my coursemates live there.
Reply 1192
Woolton Hall question:

I'm going to send an e-mail to them in the morning concerning this, but I was wondering if anyone here could clear this up for me. My mum is convinced that they have the option of going self-catered with the option of buying meals from the cafetria for £4 or something. I'm certain that she's wrong, and that she has mixed up Ashburne and Sheavyn, where Sheavyn can buy meals at Ashburne for £4. What's the actual situation? The reason why this is arising is because of rehearsal times for various music ensembles might make it a waste of money at times to go for the catered option during the week. Anyone able to shed light on the situation, and of the impact of music group rehearsals during the weekdays?
Original post by rfoot
Woolton Hall question:

I'm going to send an e-mail to them in the morning concerning this, but I was wondering if anyone here could clear this up for me. My mum is convinced that they have the option of going self-catered with the option of buying meals from the cafetria for £4 or something. I'm certain that she's wrong, and that she has mixed up Ashburne and Sheavyn, where Sheavyn can buy meals at Ashburne for £4. What's the actual situation? The reason why this is arising is because of rehearsal times for various music ensembles might make it a waste of money at times to go for the catered option during the week. Anyone able to shed light on the situation, and of the impact of music group rehearsals during the weekdays?

I went there on Sunday and I'm pretty sure the guy said that if you didn't fancy cooking your own food you could go grab a meal for £4. That was when I went to look at Burkardt and you could buy meals from the catered site there. If you have rehearsals at different times of the week then it may be a waste to spend your money on catered if you might not be able to turn up for the food, it's probably much easier and overall cheaper to do self-catered, if you can't cook I'm betting everyone lives on ready meals and takeaways anyway! haha
Original post by steffi.alexa
Doesn't seem like that - quite a few of my coursemates live there.

I hope not, it's my first choice o_O

Although I've been told its extremely doubtful I'll actually get Weston..
Since I'll be a language student maybe Weston won't be so bad If i can communicate with some of them :P
Original post by Strangey
Right, I'll tell it to you straight: you won't find what you're looking for.

None of the halls are too far away from uni; Fallowfield (the furthest residential campus) is 25 min away, which isn't too bad at all. As mentioned earlier, you'll need a bus pass which is in the region of £180-190 - when you work it out, it's a massive saving, compared to buying all of your journeys.

If you want self-catered and ensuite Weston, Lambert & Fairfield and Richmond Park are the best bets. Only Fallowfield has a supermarket close to it - the Sainsburys is a few minutes walk from any of the halls. Victoria Park (the more isolated campus) has an Asda 15-20 minute walk, depending on which of the halls you're going for.

The closest with your options that you can get to uni is Lambert & Fairfield and Weston - they're both ~10 minutes walk, or you can take the free uni bus which is more or less door to door.

If you've got any questions, let me know

Hey narrowed down my choices -- Pankhurst, Burkhardt and Dalton-Ellis Hall. Not sure which one is the closest to Economics department and rooms/halls to be used -- any idea??

And let me know, please, of what you think of my choices.. Thanks!
Original post by the_neg_master_
Hey narrowed down my choices -- Pankhurst, Burkhardt and Dalton-Ellis Hall. Not sure which one is the closest to Economics department and rooms/halls to be used -- any idea??

And let me know, please, of what you think of my choices.. Thanks!

Burkhardt's probably closest to uni, but the others are only about 5 minutes walk away.
Also, I'm in DE and I think it's a bit rubbish!
Reply 1198
Right, so Victoria Hall has its own website which says that the rooms there are sold out, but you can still make it a choice through the university application service? Heck, I was happily shown around the place at the open day yesterday. I don't know if I was really considering making it a choice anyway, but it would be pointless if I did if it isn't even available :confused:
Reply 1199
Just a quickie question, I was wondering if anyone was considering private accomodation during their first year because I believe it is cheaper per week to rent. Am I right?

Latest

Trending

Trending