The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
lilangel890
Which accommodation would you lot say was the quietist? I really can't do with nighttime noise in excess. Reading above I see Village looks a bit quieter but anyone know a specific block (so I can request it due to medical reasons...) Cheers :smile:

the village isn't necessarily quiet (i know that from experience - constantly needing earplugs!)
there is a block that is put aside for mature students which is meant to very quiet but i can't remember which it is, but it might be worth ringing them up and asking about that one
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Hygeia
the village isn't necessarily quiet (i know that from experience - constantly needing earplugs!)
there is a block that is put aside for mature students which is meant to very quiet but i can't remember which it is, but it might be worth ringing them up and asking about that one

Oh right ok thanks :smile: Do you think it will be the same price? I've inquired at other uni's as well and they've suggested postgraduate halls which are like 2 grand more!
Reply 22
lilangel890
Oh right ok thanks :smile: Do you think it will be the same price? I've inquired at other uni's as well and they've suggested postgraduate halls which are like 2 grand more!

i *think* it's just one of the blocks in the village so charged at the same price as the other village rooms
UEA's my insurance, so I guess I need to apply for accom?

Um, my question is thus: what's village accom? They didn't really explain this at the open day...

ALSO: AAAH! I don't want to live in the city centre! How can I avoid this?
Reply 24
Grape190190
UEA's my insurance, so I guess I need to apply for accom?

Um, my question is thus: what's village accom? They didn't really explain this at the open day...

ALSO: AAAH! I don't want to live in the city centre! How can I avoid this?

Village accommodation: there is a university village (at the top of this map) here - should give you an idea of where it is in relation to everything else.

It's all en-suite accommodation, virtually identical to the campus en-suite stuff just a bit cheaper. You are grouped in flats of 6-8 people, and have a shared kitchen (with hob, grill and microwave but no oven).

If you don't want to live in the city centre, make sure you rank it last (and get your application in relatively early) - that's all you can do (see post further up about ranking)
Hygeia
Village accommodation: there is a university village (at the top of this map) here - should give you an idea of where it is in relation to everything else.

It's all en-suite accommodation, virtually identical to the campus en-suite stuff just a bit cheaper. You are grouped in flats of 6-8 people, and have a shared kitchen (with hob, grill and microwave but no oven).

If you don't want to live in the city centre, make sure you rank it last (and get your application in relatively early) - that's all you can do (see post further up about ranking)

No oven!!? How the heck are you meant to cook? Do campus accommodations have ovens?
Reply 26
lilangel890
No oven!!? How the heck are you meant to cook? Do campus accommodations have ovens?

I *think* that the standard accommodation might but i'm only about 50% sure of that :p: campus en-suite doesn't as far as i know

The microwaves have a convection oven function but that gets very frustrating when 3 of you need the oven at the same time and 2 others want to use the microwave :s-smilie:
Reply 27
Dunno wtf I'm going to do without a proper oven!!!
Reply 28
frogpig
Dunno wtf I'm going to do without a proper oven!!!

it's doable but not the easiest way of sorting your food out! (i ended up eating a lot earlier than everyone else so i could use whatever i liked)
Do you have to apply for accomodation yet, if you are having a gap year and starting in 2010.
Reply 30
clark.robertson
Do you have to apply for accomodation yet, if you are having a gap year and starting in 2010.

No

Going on last year's application procedure the application forms didn't go out until 6th May, and you heard whether you got your preferred location the day after results day.

There aren't any ovens at all in standard/en-suite UEA residences. Norfolk/Suffolk have two microwaves (one of them serving as a fan oven as well), 4 hobs and a grill with 2 fridge freezers, while (if memory serves me correct) en-suite accomodation has 2 hobs, one microwave (with fan oven), a grill, 1 stand alone fridge and 1 stand alone freezer.

You'll be surprised what you can do with what's on offer, it's possible to do a full roast dinner with the facilities provided - even if its slightly more obscure.
chaywa
No

Going on last year's application procedure the application forms didn't go out until 6th May, and you heard whether you got your preferred location the day after results day.

There aren't any ovens at all in standard/en-suite UEA residences. Norfolk/Suffolk have two microwaves (one of them serving as a fan oven as well), 4 hobs and a grill with 2 fridge freezers, while (if memory serves me correct) en-suite accomodation has 2 hobs, one microwave (with fan oven), a grill, 1 stand alone fridge and 1 stand alone freezer.

You'll be surprised what you can do with what's on offer, it's possible to do a full roast dinner with the facilities provided - even if its slightly more obscure.

Hey,
Was just wondering if you are staying in norfolk/sufforlk...if you are i have a random question..do you every find sharing a kictchen and toilet with 14 is a bit too much?

Thanks
Reply 32
cocobrownie
Hey,
Was just wondering if you are staying in norfolk/sufforlk...if you are i have a random question..do you every find sharing a kictchen and toilet with 14 is a bit too much?

Thanks

I'm in Norfolk (Block B)

Honestly no, but that might be down to the fact that I have fantastic flatmates and we all get along very well. The kitchen does get messy quick if you don't wash/dry up though and there's always a slim chance that both the showers will be in use at the same time in the morning but on the whole I love it here, it's close enough to all the amenities whilst being far away enough from the main hubbub (its only a 2/3 minute walk) of the LCR at night to guarantee that you won't get woken up by drunken revellers walking past your doorway.
Thanks thats really helpful...do you remember around the time that you applied and was norfolk what you asked for?

Thanks
chaywa
No

Is this the same process for people who have put UEA as their insurance?
Reply 35
ohwowpistol
Nelson has the biggest rooms etc

But Paston is best for parties. Standard :smile:

I have to agree.. Paston is the best for parties :smile: I'm living here now, and wouldn't want to be anywhere else! Though it's also best for fire alarms! (Well, not best, but you learn to live with these!) And there's no choice into which accommodation you's prefer.. just ensuite, non-ensuite and the village (which are ensuite rooms). I have to say I think all the accommodation is brilliant, I'm obviously biased to Paston but there are a number of other blocks identical to it. I think how sociable the flats are totally depends on the people, however, I like in Paston how we have one long corridor soo every can leave there doors open and so as people walk past you can say 'hi' or go in and chat. Whereas my only thing with Constable Terrace and Nelson Court is that the rooms are over a number of floors. However, saying that I know many people in these accommodations that say their flats are sociable - and you don't get a choice as to which block you're in specifically.
I love Paston House, but all the accommodation is pretty damn good.
Reply 36
O and you get used to not having a proper oven.. in fact I don't even know when I'd use one now!
Reply 37
DO NOT APPLY TO LIVE IN THE VILLAGE!!! I lived there for 3 weeks at the start of term and hated every single minute! The rooms are TINY! In the ensuite you can shower while on the loo -it's that small! It's grey, dark, smelly and horrible and a long walk from campus. I hated it so much I had to change. I now live in Colman House and it's light, airy, clean and I don't dread going back to my room! To sum up....the village is a hell hole do not go there!
Reply 38
emzshea
DO NOT APPLY TO LIVE IN THE VILLAGE!!! I lived there for 3 weeks at the start of term and hated every single minute! The rooms are TINY! In the ensuite you can shower while on the loo -it's that small! It's grey, dark, smelly and horrible and a long walk from campus. I hated it so much I had to change. I now live in Colman House and it's light, airy, clean and I don't dread going back to my room! To sum up....the village is a hell hole do not go there!

A lot of people are very happy living in the village - I spent a year there and the only problem I had were my flatmates, which could have happened wherever I lived.
The rooms are pretty standard size for university rooms tbh and my room didn't have a shower over the toilet, it was separate.
Just because you didn't like it, doesn't mean others won't as well.
Reply 39
emzshea
I now live in Colman House and it's light, airy, clean

Colman is the one right near the Sainsburys centre? How are you finding being that little bit further out?

Latest

Trending

Trending