The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Lucyyy
Well I did do biology (finished in July, I'm on a gap year now), but I don't think it was actually one I had to have, only chemistry. I got quite lucky really, scraped the B I needed in chem by one mark :s-smilie: Shame I can't remember a thing now! Frantic back tracking through the old textbooks come August, I think.

I'm hoping to scrape a B in biology. You may not remember anything, but at least you don't have the pressure of exams and results etc.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 381
Chipsxxx
I'm hoping to scrape a B in biology. You may not remember anything, but at least you don't have the pressure of exams and results etc.

No, but I have already had that anyway :p: Should have been going to Sheffield last September but I missed my offer.. had changed my mind about what subject I wanted to do anyway and tried to get in to UEA for pharmacy through clearing.. yeaaaah that all went tits up! haha.
Reply 382
You can register for something at www.room.uea.ac.uk

Not exactly sure what though.........
Reply 383
Hey, so I firmed UEA. I'm hopefully going to start at Norwich Law School in September 2010. When can/should I start applyig for accommodation and how do I go about this? Sorry if this question has already been answered in the thread. Thanks in advance.
Reply 384
HansBlix
Hey, so I firmed UEA. I'm hopefully going to start at Norwich Law School in September 2010. When can/should I start applyig for accommodation and how do I go about this? Sorry if this question has already been answered in the thread. Thanks in advance.

Accommodation applications will start next Tuesday, 4th May. You apply on-line via the UEA site: http://www.uea.ac.uk/accommodation/applyforroom/applicationform
Undergraduate forms aren't up yet, so not a lot to see yet!

I sooo can't make my mind up about accommodation now.. I'd been quite set on the standard rooms for a while but now I really prefer the look of campus en-suite :sad: I know my parents have said they'll pay the difference between the cost and what my loan provides, and even though it'd eat my loan up whole I'd still have plenty enough to live off.. ooh I just don't know!
Reply 385
OK second time lucky with posting this post- last time TSR seemed to forget it lol.

Oops about posting the wrong date up, but right one's there now. Last year applications opened later that they said, some problem with the system.

tofubitz

If you live off campus you can get a permit to park in a car park near the hospital in a student car park I believe, my friend got one after moving out of village after a week to live with family. However, if you live on campus once I don't think you can ever get a permit to park there, you'd just have to pay all the time which would be crazy expensive.

My advice is to not bother for first year, wait till second where you can get a parking space at your house hopefully. I know two nurses who do placements, and they use buses to get everywhere. They both invested in a bus pass and they use it to get to the hospital for lectures too.

Also, bear in mind that they will consider that almost no first years have a car at uni when choosing placements, and almost certainly put them on bus routes or within walking distance.

Lucyyy

You're right, you have to rank your choices in order of preference :smile:
Hello all!
I understand that there are only 60 spaces available for Home (British) postgraduates, but I was wondering if anyone knows where they are? Can I live in Norfolk terrace?
I've always wanted to live in UEA accommodation ever since my brother went to the Uni, so any help anyone can give me will be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply 387
Historians drink free
Hello all!
I understand that there are only 60 spaces available for Home (British) postgraduates, but I was wondering if anyone knows where they are? Can I live in Norfolk terrace?
I've always wanted to live in UEA accommodation ever since my brother went to the Uni, so any help anyone can give me will be much appreciated.
Thanks.

From what I can gather on the UEA website, you can apply for any type of accommodation but you're right about the only 60 places bit. These are the options you have
http://www.uea.ac.uk/accommodation/Postgraduate+Accommodation/PG+Comparison+Chart+2010
it might be worth trying a 'less popular' choice to increase your chances of getting a room.

You apply as normal for postgrads, here
http://www.uea.ac.uk/accommodation/Postgraduate+Accommodation
then because you are from the UK you will be added to a home/EU postgrad waiting list, and they will contact you by email if you get a place.

Good luck!
kpwxx
From what I can gather on the UEA website, you can apply for any type of accommodation but you're right about the only 60 places bit. These are the options you have
http://www.uea.ac.uk/accommodation/Postgraduate+Accommodation/PG+Comparison+Chart+2010
it might be worth trying a 'less popular' choice to increase your chances of getting a room.

Hugely helpful and much appreciated. Thank you for all you help and for wishing me luck- I've a feeling I'll need it.
**PRINCESS**90
Hey, Im going to UEA in September but really cant decide which accomodation to choose..all the people already at UEA say the en suites are nicer but norfolk.suffolk terrace have more parties and they'r cheaper,
does anyone know which accomodation they're going to choose?
if u do, just reply on ere pleasee :smile:

thankss and cu all in september :biggrin:

The rooms in Norfolk/Suffolk tend to be bigger than the en-suite rooms (except Nelson Court, they're bloody massive!)
I've found that Suffolk and Norfolk are much more sociable and definitely have more parties.
Suffolk Terrace is definitely the best on campus :wink:
Reply 390
Anyone know in whihc one your most likely to score? ^^
I think it comes down to the person, not the room...
netprime
I think it comes down to the person, not the room...

Well then! I don't have a chance! (forced chuckle followed by heavy sigh)
Reply 393
Ahh if we get to apply on tuesday, I'll have to make my mind up really soon (as in tomorrow)

Just to clarify- we don't have to have all of student finance sorted out before we apply for accom do we?
I've started getting it sorted, but I haven't sent anything off yet :/
Reply 394
Hi

I am a current student at uea and have been in all the accom, these are my thoughts...

New En-Suite - Loud, fire alarms at 4am, really friendly people, people tend to go out lots, messy, if you are a fresher and don't have much work to be doing in the first year this is the place to be.

Village En-Suit - Quiet, slightly tidier, marginly more international students, 10mins walk from campus, friendly people, more relaxed, can go to campus for partying just need to make some friends in the above or below accom. Someone mentioned crime, I think the main issue is it is next to a concil estate and hence if you leave your bike tided up with basically a peice of string they may steal it, sadly I think this is the case at every university students are far too easy targets so just lock you bike in the secure bike storage with a D-Lock and lock your room (insurance is provided) and then there is no issue at all.

Norfolk/Suffork - Cheaper, Friendly people, lots of parties, does seem quite bad on open day but you are only sleeping there really does not make that much difference, bathrooms not really an issue.

City center - Looks like a prison, been there once, seemed empty...
Reply 395
Lit2010
Ahh if we get to apply on tuesday, I'll have to make my mind up really soon (as in tomorrow)

Just to clarify- we don't have to have all of student finance sorted out before we apply for accom do we?
I've started getting it sorted, but I haven't sent anything off yet :/

Don't worry too much over picking immediately, they don't assign rooms for most students until after results day so you have a while before you need to pick and it won't affect your chances of getting your first choice.

And no, student finance doesn't matter.
Reply 396
what happens if you already have an unconditional place? do you get assigned a room before august?
What's the likely hood of getting your first choice?
Reply 398
rach8u
what happens if you already have an unconditional place? do you get assigned a room before august?

iloveblondie

Yes I think it's sometime in June or July they assign places for unconditional people? It's before results day definitely. I'm not sure that this means you'll definitely get your first choice if you're unconditional, but I'd imagine if not it can only help. Of course there aren't enough unconditional offers to make this properly reduce chances for conditionals.

And not sure about a percentage or anything, but most people I know got their first choice. In fact the one friend I have who didn't went through clearing.

If I had to estimate the order of popularity for the main accoms I'd probably say
Norfolk/Suffolk (cause it's cheap)
Ensuite campus
Village
Orwell/wolfson
Mary Chapman (cause its far away, but not actually as bad as some say- you make a huge saving even after buying a bus pass)

and the others somewhere in the middle. But don't let this affect your choice too much, you'll almost certainly get one of your top 3 choices.
Reply 399
People who are at UEA already:
Which do you prefer- Ensuite campus or ensuite village?
I know I definitely want an ensuite, but I'd rather go for somewhere quieter and a bit less messy. Does anybody have any comparison of the two?

Latest

Trending

Trending