The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Calling LCF students, something GOOD please?

Helloo..I've applied for LCF (foundation course), just had my interview a couple of days ago, and (if I get in) am really excited about it because all that art and fashion just sounds blissful to me...But I have been having a little browse on here and almost everything I've read about it seems to be negative? People saying there's really low satisfaction rates, everyone drops out, full of rich hoxton-types (OK I expect that one's probably rather true), rubbish tutors, not worth the money, that kind of thing. I am feeling a bit disillusioned. Would any LCF students that actually LIKE it care to reinstore my faith? :smile:

Sof x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I actually quite like LCF.
In the first term the tutors were a bit all over the place which I think is why people say they aren't very good? But they are all so nice and really good teachers and they know they're stuff.
There are a lot of people who are up their own bums!! But thats sort of to be expected at a college that focuses on Fashion. Also, the drop out rate in my class has been pretty high, but I'd put that down to people not be realistic abuot the amount of work they would have to do. I think they thought they were going for an easy degree subject... but its still a degree so there is going to be academic stuff involved!
I don't really know what the foundation courses are like in comparison to the degrees, but if its where you want to go and do then go for it. You get out of it what you put in!
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
First and foremost, let's underline the advantages. It goes without saying that this college is internationally recognized in the fashion industry, with a 100+ year history to boot. This is reflective of the continued standard and exposure LCF receives at the London Fashion Week. In addition, the frequent collaborations with corporations and household names in the industry are yet another indicator of its relevance (recently with the Beijing Olympics and with multiple high street chains such as Topshop and River Island). I regularly visit and observe catwalk exhibitions throughout the year (as part of my job) and LCF has continually impressed me overall. To be fair, aside from a select few other institutions, there's not many "good" fashion institutions in this country.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the college encompasses a range of courses that all vary considerably. The tutor(s) and the 'type' of students you will encounter depend on so many variables that it's difficult to generalize. Although I studied at CSM (an associate college within UAL), I visited LCF regularly due to friends. The stereotype that people are obnoxious is overrated. I certainly didn't experience this, but I won't dismiss that it exists.

In essence, LCF has its downers, absolutely (akin to the rest of UAL), of which I won't list because you're not seeking that. Ultimately, self initiative and natural awareness of the industry you're trying to get into is imperative. Students enter the college with an element of naivety and expectancy that just because it's LCF they will receive everything on a silver platter. As notdellie has rightly said, with all of these art and design colleges, what you receive is what you put into it. Opportunities are abundant to those who seek it.

Also, don't base your opinion from an internet forum, of which very few are actually students from the college (went to an Open Day or viewed some newspaper statistic). Your decision should derive from the standard of the work the course is producing (shown on the website and/or yearly degree shows) and by visiting the college and speaking to the tutor/students yourself.
Reply 3
Thanks both of you thats cheered me up! Yeah I being realistic about the amount of work I'll have to do and am really up for it, I like to throw myself into things... Trust me, after a year of working at a costcutters for 10 hours a day this will be wonderful. Wish me luck!
Reply 4
Not a problem. :smile:

Unfortunately, there isn't many students from UAL on this forum. The majority of the concerns posted are by those 'considering' one of the colleges at UAL, rather than students actively studying. This inadvertently leads to further applicants reading said concerns. It's like a vicious circle.

That said, I'm not suggesting that these concerns do not exist, they do (as evidenced by the select few members that are students), only that they are blown out of proportion (generalizing).
Reply 5
Yeah that's a good point. I guess alot of people think its an easy route and they're the ones that complain but I know I'm going to love the work so I expect it'll be fine. Thanks for replying!
I absolutely love LCF, wouldn't go anywhere else :]
Reply 7
Just what I wanted to hear, thanks :biggrin: What are you taking??
BA Hons Fashion Journalism :smile:
Reply 9
Ah fun...I just got my acceptance letter today! Reaaally pleased and happy! (Thats for the foundation course). Oh I am so excited :biggrin:
Ahhhh congratulations!!! You'll love it :smile:
do any of you know what the fashion portfolio course is like and and helpful advice?
can anyone help me, ive got my essay thing there on monday for fashion journalism, and just want to know what kind of question the essay could be, and what they ask you in the interview thanks
Reply 13
I believe twilight fingertips would be of most help to you there, probably best off asking her :-)
thank you x
Reply 15
Quite alright :-)
Reply 16
BravadoStudios
do any of you know what the fashion portfolio course is like and and helpful advice?

Hi...not sure if you still want an answer just joined u see...I'm currently in my last couple of days on the Fashion Portfolio course.

I loved it...but I'm a bit odd...I like doing tons of work u see...if you're really into fashion and u really want to study fashion then this course is a good first step. It's really hectic but it allows you to sample almost every pathway in fashion: design/photography/styling/textiles/marketing...kinda

I went into the course just knowing I wanted to do fashion came out feeling really excited about textiles. I think this yr the course had over 200 of us and we were split into 8 groups...the major emphasis at the beginning is helping u to work on ur design development and research which I thought was good because I had it in my head I would just sit and draw up random designs but now I understand the process of identifying a theme, doing the relevant research workin up preliminary designs then developing those sketches and somehow getting 3 or 4 different things from one starting point.

The only problem I see is maybe the group sizes, especially if your an international student with english as ur second language u may get lost even though they offer english language support, but the majority ppl who did drop out of my group around 4 or 5 were non english speaking int'ls.

If you know ur a lazy person or u procrastinate a lot then you may find it to be a bit too much...as soon i got assignments got started on them a.s.a.p...but i know some of my classmates waited until like the day or so b4 it was due and had major headaches because it is a lot of work ...but the tutors were really friendly and kinda mad (in a good way) and they give really good advice...for some ppl not what they wanted to hear...but at the end of the day I was really pleased with the course :smile:

the cafe kinda sucks though... :frown: but there is a really great fish and chip place and tons of restaurants the course is at the lime grove campus which is right next to shephards bush market which is great for material...and i heard that for the sept 2009 they should be finished doin some major upgrades to the site so that should be cool as well as they're movin the photography students there so...way better computer labs and such
Reply 17
Hi PetaO, any idea how much we'll spend on the supplies if we're doing fashion portfolio? and for the photography, do we have to have our own camera? thanks! im rushing for this yr's intake so would like to find out more.
Tutors are totally crap.
They don't give you any help at all but just expect you to work all the time.
ESPECIALLY THAT CLAIRE SWIFT, TOTALLY USELESS TUTOR.
Awful teaching methods, awful environment and tacky equipment.
Original post by Alysc
Hi PetaO, any idea how much we'll spend on the supplies if we're doing fashion portfolio? and for the photography, do we have to have our own camera? thanks! im rushing for this yr's intake so would like to find out more.

I took the LCF Fashion Portfolio course a couple of years ago and enjoyed it so much. I chose that over the Foundation course as the classes are smaller and it is something different to have on your CV. The courses are quite similar, but I found the Lime Grove campus closer to everything you need (fabric, central london etc. )

In terms of supplies, you will spend a bit on sketchbooks, art supplies and that sort of stuff, but you are going to a creative place - what do you expect. It is each to their own, to get the most out of it and to make your work the best, you will want everything to be accessible.

LCF have lots of facilities, in particular they are happy to loan you alot! It is nice to have your own camera, just a compact one to carry around so you can snap inspiration for your work, but again you are going to a creative institution. If you thinking more DSLR's then they are available for you to loan for work, but I don't think it is a must have!

I hope that helps!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending