The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

self-catering, ensuite, on campus?

the above seems few and far between at Exeter!

I've highlighted St German's so far but can anybody else direct me? I know having ensuite is the be-all-and-end-all but i'm quite up for it and would prefer.

Am open to suggestions about enhanced though.

Just a bit confused!!!

My subject would be in the Amory building if that's of any importance...

thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

ChloeGsy
the above seems few and far between at Exeter!

I've highlighted St German's so far but can anybody else direct me? I know having ensuite is the be-all-and-end-all but i'm quite up for it and would prefer.

Am open to suggestions about enhanced though.

Just a bit confused!!!

My subject would be in the Amory building if that's of any importance...

thanks! :smile:

As you said, the options are limited. St Germans is very very competitive so if you apply there, expect to NOT get a room in there.
Lafrowda enhanced I would DEFINITELY recommend. Lafrowda is brilliant, very sociable and just perfect student halls really. I lived in standard Laffy last year. Ok so you dont get your own bathroom in enhanced, but you get a sink in your room and the nearest toilet or shower room is going to be about maximum 3 seconds walk away and they're cleaned 3 times a week by University cleaners. Also you get LOADS more cash to spend on going out, clothes, shoes etc, instead of investing it in a toilet, basically.
An alternative is James Owen Court. Really nice halls, ensuite, self-catered and more reasonably priced because they're slightly off campus. But they're on the right side for Amory, it would only take you about 15 minutes to walk there. James Owen is a really nice building, and flats of 3, 6 or 7 I believe. I had a friend who lived there last year and she loved it. Its also slap-bang in the middle of town so very convenient for shopping, buses, going out etc.
Don't forget St Davids either, I've heard good things about that little community. Or Point Exe, right down by the train station also. A little bit of a trek to Amory, probably about 20 minutes up a massive hill. Not as close to town as could be, but still not bad.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
yeah i was thinking about Lafrowda!
so what's the application process? do i just choose one and they put me somewhere else?
ChloeGsy
yeah i was thinking about Lafrowda!
so what's the application process? do i just choose one and they put me somewhere else?

Definitely go for Lafrowda if you like the look of it. Best halls! :biggrin:
You'll get an application form in April sometime. Basically fill it out and send it back ASAP. They say its not first come first served but you never know...they've got to have some kind of system and as soon as you get your form back the better.
You have 3 choices...and they'll try to give you one of those choices. You won't hear what you've got until about late August/early September. You could always go for Lafrowda Enhanced, Lafrowda Standard, and then James Owen?
Reply 4
sophisticated
Definitely go for Lafrowda if you like the look of it. Best halls! :biggrin:
You'll get an application form in April sometime. Basically fill it out and send it back ASAP. They say its not first come first served but you never know...they've got to have some kind of system and as soon as you get your form back the better.
You have 3 choices...and they'll try to give you one of those choices. You won't hear what you've got until about late August/early September. You could always go for Lafrowda Enhanced, Lafrowda Standard, and then James Owen?

where's James Owen?
oh, and my dad's convinced i should go for catered but i just think it seems a bit silly. is it really strict meal times and everything?
Reply 5
Don't go for St. Germans. Its not worth the money at all. Stick with Lafrowda.
Reply 6
It's all online now, so don't expect to get a paper form.

What I'd say is, don't get your heart set too much on any one thing (especially not if the thing is St German's, where the ratio of applicants to rooms is something like 7:1). Something basically has to give, and being prepared to be a bit flexible about whether you really need en-suite or really need to be on campus is helpful - otherwise you're just setting yourself up to be disappointed.

James Owen Court is in the city centre, in Sidwell Street (next door to the Odeon). It's worth bearing in mind that nothing in Exeter is all that far from anything else, so not being on campus is not that big a deal (and actually quite handy for shopping and the like).

Actually, if you're after en-suite and don't mind being only just off campus (i.e. over the road) then Northfield is really nice.
ChloeGsy
where's James Owen?
oh, and my dad's convinced i should go for catered but i just think it seems a bit silly. is it really strict meal times and everything?

James Owen is right next to the Odeon, and about 2 minutes walk from the high street. Its on sidwell street, which is basically packed with takeaways, kfc, pizza hut takeaway, subway, dominoes etc and charity shops, but a little bit further on there's the high street with all the main shops etc.

Catered is NOT worth it. You're paying about an extra £30/35 a week for food, which is RIDICULOUS. Also it is strict meal times, early breakfasts etc which most people don't get up for. You don't get lunch either. The quality of the food isn't all that great either. Stick to self-catered for flexibility and convenience and being able cook what you want when you want :smile:
Reply 8
Agreed. So many people in Catered in effect lose money as so many don't even bother with some meals most days, so if you're paying for everything yourself you'd be losing out in the long run. Self Catered is the way to go. Consider if you need En-Suite, I think personally no one does. And you'll pay through the nose for it, for the money balance, I wish I'd stayed in Lafrowda now.
Reply 9
lmcorr
I wish I'd stayed in Lafrowda now.

You could probably go back...
Reply 10
Ah, its too late now. Can't be bothered with all this moving about lark.
Reply 11
lafrowda looks like a Council estate :s-smilie:
Reply 12
dolly123

Don't travel anywhere around Lafrowda at night. Its far too dangerous. The sound of the gunshots keep me awake at night.
dolly123

Haha lmcorr is joking.
And how dare you :shifty: Lafrowda is lovely. Ok the buildings arent as attractive as they could be, but its perfectly safe and the atmosphere is wonderful; very friendly.
Reply 14
Lmcorr, not meaning to be rude, but I said “LOOKS” like one. I didn’t say is the “same” as one or even “replicas” one....

sophisticated

And how dare you :shifty: Lafrowda is lovely. Ok the buildings arent as attractive as they could be, but its perfectly safe and the atmosphere is wonderful; very friendly.

Lafrowda is not aesthetically pleasing.. glad we agree
Reply 15
cough council estate cough
Reply 16
dolly123
Lmcorr, not meaning to be rude, but I said “LOOKS” like one. I didn’t say is the “same” as one or even “replicas” one....

Ermmm... doesn't that rather support an assumption that council estates are by definition dangerous hotbeds of crime and gunfighting?
Reply 17
What I meant was that it looks like one (an estate) from its structure and physical build (quality to). From my understanding a structure of a building does not include the stereotyped behaviours of the people living within it.

By definition Council Estates are:

n. “Housing that is built, operated, and owned by a government and that is typically provided at nominal rent to the needy.”
"A tower block, block of flats, or apartment block, is a multi-unit high-rise apartment building."

Therefore
Persipan
dangerous hotbeds of crime and gunfighting?

Your definition is a factor based upon the people who MAY live there, but its not a universalised truth that they always do. So it doesn't define the Estate itself. You are merely making a social judgement, with not relation to the physical appearance of the buildings and flats.

As I have stated before, the physical structure/building/appearance of Lafrowda looks like a Council Estate. To put it plainly High rise flats.
Reply 18
To clarify, having spent several years working in social housing, I'm well aware that is isn't what it's often stereotyped to be - I was just being pedantic since you made a distinction between 'looking like' and 'being the same as', and I felt that 'being the same as' has to involve a comparison with some set of assumptions.

Let's not worry about it, though, everyone agrees Lafrowda isn't the most outwardly attractive - the architecture is popularly compared to that of a Swedish prison...
dolly123

Lafrowda is not aesthetically pleasing.. glad we agree

Why does it really matter? All Universities have some aesthetically pleasing and some not so aesthetically pleasing buildings. If you're only looking to go to a University where all its buildings are pretty and surrounded by flowers then you might as well go and get your McDonalds application form now :tongue:
To be honest, I didn't really care what Lafrowda looked like. Its the people that make it what it is (which is brilliant by the way), not the colour of the bricks and mortar. If you want aesthetically pleasing halls then by all means go and live in Holland, but I can pretty much guarantee you that the experience will not be as fulfilling.

Latest

Trending

Trending