The Student Room Group
University of York
York

What is it really like at York University?

I soon have to start applying for Uni's, and i strongly consider York.
What are the people like there?
What cultures are most of those people from?
What kind of facilities are there?
How much freedom do you have?
What are the interviews like?

Thanks x
It's great :biggrin:

Most people around campus are friendly enough. Everyone is friendly on freshers week though (and really, you can't just close yourself off over that week :wink: ). All the staff are usually friendly and approachable too, and the uni has a really laid back feel. Most people are from an English background, but of course, there's also quite a few international students.

For facilities, most colleges have their own bar (and Langwith now has a shiny new one :biggrin: ), decent sports center with gym, and the rooms have the normal bed, en-suite as an option, and the kitchen has everything you would expect to find. The washroom just has washers and dryers, but they both charge you. You're as free as you want too...you don't have to go to lectures, but missing them all would be a bit daft, you just have to attend practicals, seminars and tutorials. Aside from that, you can do as you please...you're an adult and the uni treats you as such.

As for the interviews, it depends on the department, but they're normally just a chat to make sure you're not a complete idiot, with a couple of course-related questions. You're not necessarially expected to get the right straight off, they give you tips and pointers to work towards them :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Wow thanks a lot
What about grades wise? Do they look at your GCSE's?
& does your extra cirruc. matter a lot?
Reply 3
Senem Boyaci
Wow thanks a lot
What about grades wise? Do they look at your GCSE's?
& does your extra cirruc. matter a lot?

It depends on the course you're applying to, I'd imagine. But they don't have a reputation of being holistic in their selection procedures (like Edinburgh), and don't have a reputation for taking GCSEs massively into account (like Durham and LSE) either.

Extra-curricular will help to make you seem interested in the course you're doing, presuming it's relevant experience. I imagine ASs and predicted A-Levels are taken as a big factor, along with the PS (got to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment) and your reference.

Latest

Trending

Trending