The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

yes o/c. you just need 90% in your A2's... aslong as you put in for a new A-level grade, i see no reason why there should be an exception!
what i want to know is WHY they introduced the A*.... It just looks stupid and demeans the value of the A grade... why couldn't they just make it harder to get an A, if more people are getting them? idiots..
Depends what you get in the other modules. No one has achieved A*s yet so....yeah
Reply 183
jjackson18624
what i want to know is WHY they introduced the A*.... It just looks stupid and demeans the value of the A grade... why couldn't they just make it harder to get an A, if more people are getting them? idiots..

I guess it makes more people feel better about their grades. So people getting As don't feel like B grade students.

Yeah, it's silly.
jjackson18624

Agreed! It makes me feel bad about my A grade, even though i got it before the A* grade came along.....
Zottula
I guess it makes more people feel better about their grades. So people getting As don't feel like B grade students.

Yeah, it's silly.

yeah but A grade students only feel like B grade students BECAUSE of the introduction of the A* lol. no-one pissed on AAA this much before some smartass thought it would be a good idea to make A-levels comparable to GCSEs.

& refer back to 'why couldn't they just make it harder to get an A, if more people are getting them?'
Reply 186
jjackson18624
yeah but A grade students only feel like B grade students BECAUSE of the introduction of the A* lol. no-one pissed on AAA this much before some smartass thought it would be a good idea to make A-levels comparable to GCSEs.

& refer back to 'why couldn't they just make it harder to get an A, if more people are getting them?'

I know some will feel like B grade students, but they can still refer to themselves as A grade students. So will make them feel a bit better than if it was harder to get As and were therefore only receiving Bs.

I totally agree that it's silly though. Just raise the boundary for an A, rather than introduce something new.
JellyBean123
Agreed! It makes me feel bad about my A grade, even though i got it before the A* grade came along.....

ditto to that. but even though i could get one now, i'm not sure whether i WANT one because A*AAB looks a bit silly in my opinion compared to AAAB. For less consistent people A*BC looks even worse. I thought A's where the whole point of 'a' levels. Then they went and got rid of coursework after i slaved for hundreds and hundreds, probably thousands, of hours on in ICT :eek3: I fear A-levels will turn into the new GCSEs... but easier because there's less of them..
Zottula
I know some will feel like B grade students, but they can still refer to themselves as A grade students. So will make them feel a bit better than if it was harder to get As and were therefore only receiving Bs.

I totally agree that it's silly though. Just raise the boundary for an A, rather than introduce something new.

A-levels arent about making people feel better (or shouldn't be). and if more people are getting B's they wont be pissed on as much anyway. B was good when my mum did gcses, nowadays if you get a B its like getting a C, which is probably again down to the A* rather than increasing boundries like they should have. it makes people of the old grades look worse than they actually were.
jjackson18624
ditto to that. but even though i could get one now, i'm not sure whether i WANT one because A*AAB looks a bit silly in my opinion compared to AAAB. For less consistent people A*BC looks even worse. I thought A's where the whole point of 'a' levels. Then they went and got rid of coursework after i slaved for hundreds and hundreds, probably thousands, of hours on in ICT :eek3: I fear A-levels will turn into the new GCSEs... but easier because there's less of them..

Agreed, again! I mean, when I did GCSEs it was thought of as amazing if people got even one A*, now it seems like if you get any less than five you're a complete no hoper. Plus I'm pretty sure grade boundaries for an A are getting lower.....
JellyBean123
Agreed, again! I mean, when I did GCSEs it was thought of as amazing if people got even one A*, now it seems like if you get any less than five you're a complete no hoper. Plus I'm pretty sure grade boundaries for an A are getting lower.....

lol yeah! maybe part of that might be we've been spending too much time on TSR though. If anything you'd have thought they'd want to make A-level grades more credit-worth, but noooo! the sad thing is it's our generation that looses out, because we will look CRAP in 5-10 years time... next think they'll be introducing A** lmao :lol:
next thing they'll be introducing A**

remember kids, you heard it here first :wink:
jjackson18624
lol yeah! maybe part of that might be we've been spending too much time on TSR though. If anything you'd have thought they'd want to make A-level grades more credit-worth, but noooo! the sad thing is it's our generation that looses out, because we will look CRAP in 5-10 years time... next think they'll be introducing A** lmao :lol:

Precisely! And whats even more annoying is I would have the damn A* if it had been available! Psshh. What a load of tosh. Haha, or they'll introduce the Super A or something. That would be cooler.
Reply 193
jjackson18624
A-levels arent about making people feel better (or shouldn't be). and if more people are getting B's they wont be pissed on as much anyway. B was good when my mum did gcses, nowadays if you get a B its like getting a C, which is probably again down to the A* rather than increasing boundries like they should have. it makes people of the old grades look worse than they actually were.

Yep, I totally agree with you. Like I said, the whole thing is silly.
so i finished M1 S1 C1 C2 C3 C4 M2 S2 by January 2010 and cashed in. so i will be getting an A grade max.
now I got an offer from UCL and they want an A*.
so if i register for C3 and C4 ONLY again, just in case i get less than 90% in them, i can re-sit and obtain an A* (given i get the marks) if I cash in again in May - right?

And for maths, lets say they consider M2 or S2 as my sixth unit in MATHEMATICS (not FM), will the marks in those units matter? or will only C3 and C4 marks matter?

HELP PLEASE!
Reply 195
im confused
im doing maths and further maths A2
if i have A for both AS' i need a 90% between C3 and C4?
what modules would i have to get a 90% to get an A* in further maths, apart from FP2 or does it not matter :confused:
fran-timms
Ok Thank you both very much.
The example on the website was very helpful.
I have decided to structure it as follows:
Intro
How a DNA profile is made- split into mini sections
How it is effective- split into mini sections
Conclusion
Evaluation
References

That sounds great- but my college gave me a copy of the teachers guidelines and the recommended layout was of a normal science paper.

:smile: Abstract
:smile: Intro
:smile: Discussion/ developing ideas
:smile: Evaluation
:smile: bibliography
:smile: extra raw data and calculation
The whole point is you do it yourself, and go and independently ask teachers about it.
Just go and have a chat to different teachers in different subjects. I'm sure they'd be happy to help :smile:.

Oh and nice avatar :wink:.
Quick question, for science A levels do the coursework exams count toward the 90% average?

Cheers
Mitch92uK
Quick question, for science A levels do the coursework exams count toward the 90% average?

Cheers

Urgh. :frown: Hope not!

Quick Reply

Latest