The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
tomcoolinguk
Definitely

Its soooo hard to pick..... everything has advantages and disadvantages!

You still keen on Durdham? I think thats where I'm going to go for.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Doolally
You still keen on Durdham? I think thats where I'm going to go for.

Cool... glad someone has got somewhere sorted, lol. I'm kind of keen on them all in varying amounts, apart from Clifton Hill House and Wills. CHH- nice, but oh my god even my mother isn't that obsessive! Wills- great hall but I *just* know that the people will be of a different background to mine. I'm impressed by Goldney/Manor/Durdham, but other than that... I have no idea! I'm still waiting for UCL, but assuming I take my Bris offer I think I'm going to go and stay with a friend (she's in HB) and do the hall bar crawl! That should certainly make my decision much simpler... :p:
Reply 42
tomcoolinguk
Cool... glad someone has got somewhere sorted, lol. I'm kind of keen on them all in varying amounts, apart from Clifton Hill House and Wills. CHH- nice, but oh my god even my mother isn't that obsessive! Wills- great hall but I *just* know that the people will be of a different background to mine. I'm impressed by Goldney/Manor/Durdham, but other than that... I have no idea! I'm still waiting for UCL, but assuming I take my Bris offer I think I'm going to go and stay with a friend (she's in HB) and do the hall bar crawl! That should certainly make my decision much simpler... :p:

Doing a bar crawl will just make you want to go to Badock :biggrin:
Reply 43
i'm at bristol at the mo. well, actually i'm at home now but live in wills during term time. basically, when you are choosing your halls, don't worry about it too much. i agree with tom- it may seem like a really important decision now, but actually you'll find people you'll get on with everywhere. and there are all sorts in each hall, so don't worry if you think you're not posh/ sporty/ musical etc etc enough. choose your halls based on stuff like facilities- i.e. catered/ non, clifton/ stoke, ensuite/ shared etc etc. btw i saw here a while ago someone saying wills has no ensuite. thats not true, all of uvw (newest block) and b staircase (old quad) have ensuite. which is jammy.

ps if you're lazy go for the hawthorns. i am so envious of people who just roll out of bed 10 minutes before lectures. plus people i know there have found it fine not being in hall, they've got to know their housemates really well, it's all fine.

don't stress! the msot important thing to worry about is your a levels so you can actually come here!
Yeah guys one of the students told me on my open day that the student houses are meant to be great fun so don't worry too much! :smile:
Reply 45
Hi,
I'm going to Bristol to do History in october, and I was thinking of applying to Wills as it looks nice. Seems that most people say that about it here too.

I think i was also thinking about clifton hill house (i think thats what its called (maybe not)). Does anyone know if either has got any particular advantages over the other?

Thanks for any advice you can muster.

Haz
Reply 46
Gexko
Hi,
I'm going to Bristol to do History in october,

Join the club... so that's you, me, Doolally and amicus from TSR doing History at Bristol in 2005 so far, afaik.
Gexko
Hi,
I'm going to Bristol to do History in october, and I was thinking of applying to Wills as it looks nice. Seems that most people say that about it here too.

I think i was also thinking about clifton hill house (i think thats what its called (maybe not)). Does anyone know if either has got any particular advantages over the other?

Thanks for any advice you can muster.

Haz

Oooh CHH has loads of advantages- a very good hall, but alas also very popular. Obviously you know that its the only catered hall in Clifton, which has many advantages. It does have a reputation, I have gathered, for being obsessed about petty rules. The no-smoking one is good though! A major flaw (I think of CHH) is the lack of vacation residence which does mean moving and packing a lot. But overall, it is a great hall.
Reply 48
Thanks, luckily i dont live too far from bristol (about an hour or an hour and a half depending how rubbish the roads/rails are being on that day) so i don't think packing up once a term will be too strenuous.

I think i will have to have a look round chh and wills and maybe some others when i get back from my travels in may. and after i've saved enough money to afford a train ticket after i've spent all my money travelling.........
Reply 49
Phil_D
Join the club... so that's you, me, Doolally and amicus from TSR doing History at Bristol in 2005 so far, afaik.

we could do one of those msn name swap things that they seem to do on some forums :smile:

or if the idea of me knowing your email address scares you then you might not want to....................
Reply 50
Gexko
we could do one of those msn name swap things that they seem to do on some forums :smile:

or if the idea of me knowing your email address scares you then you might not want to....................

Yay another History person!

I'm up for swapping addresses..but over PM not for everyone to see! :smile:
Reply 51
Doolally
Yay another History person!

I'm up for swapping addresses..but over PM not for everyone to see! :smile:

Yeah, why not?
:wink:
Reply 52
Hey! I'd just like to tell you guys not to worry about your accommodation too much and not to stress when you get a place you didnt really want. I applied to goldney, durdum, hawthorns and some others and didnt get any of them, I ended up in a student house, 115 Queens Road. We've had so many problems this yr, rubbish cleaners who yelled at us, one of our fridges turning into a freezer, showers blocking and water heating thingy for shower broken for 4 days, kitchen sinks blocking, no lift, thin walls, no common room,people in the union can see into your room, the list goes on and on. But the I've had a good time, its in a brilliant location and the rooms are big and have huge windows and its cheap, I'll be sorry to leave! The only thing which I think would make a difference is if there was a bar or common room! Basically what I'm saying is that your accommodation is what you make it!

P.S I've heard a rumour that if you put down that you do photography you get in to Goldney, probably untrue but worth a try id say!
I just thought I'd chip in to say that my mate lived in Northwell last year and absolutely loved it. People seem to be terrified about the student houses, but they're actually pretty big, and you'll be living with a hundred or so other people in most, and in the middle of the city, so you won't be abandoned and lonely just because you're not in one of the halls.
One question...why does no one seem to be keen on Manor Hall?!
Is there something I should know lol? :confused:
Reply 55
Checking for Spies
One question...why does no one seem to be keen on Manor Hall?!
Is there something I should know lol? :confused:

I been considering Manor Hall too! But apparently the rooms are a bit old, and I fancy something a bit more modern I think. But it does look a good hall - v good location, got some ensuites (I think) etc etc

Where do you think your going to apply then?
Reply 56
Hmmm this thread..actually this whole forum is getting a bit dead. We need to liven it up a bit! Can't think of any ideas for a new thread though...maybe a "getting to know you" type one?!
Reply 57
Doolally
Hmmm this thread..actually this whole forum is getting a bit dead. We need to liven it up a bit! Can't think of any ideas for a new thread though...maybe a "getting to know you" type one?!

Yeah, make a nice thread for us! :biggrin:
Doolally

Yeah do it! :smile: I was thinking Manor or Goldney, but I'm not even definitely sure about whether to choose Clifton or Stoke Bishop yet! Help! :eek:
tomcoolinguk
I went round Wills when I went down to Bristol :biggrin: It is very impressive! I was actually completely amazed by the fact that Wills is also nowhere near 40 minutes from the university buildings! Basically, there are two quads; rooms are very good.

It is possible to organise to go and look round Wills, and the very friendly woman I spoke to said that if you want Wills as your first choice you need to show some evidence of having specifically chosen Wills as the best hall for YOU.

The students I spoke to were generally quite public school, though not in an overtly bad way. It was not, however, completely public school.

My concern with going to Wills would be seeming like a pauper when I'm doing my part-time job etc. Another flaw of Wills is that you get no guaranteed vacation residence, and even if you get it- it is quite expensive. This is worse considering the fact that the rent for 30-week is not really much better than the 38-week lets for some other halls.

Overall, Wills is a great choice. I don't think I'll apply- I'm probably going to go down to Bristol again and look at all the halls and then make my decision. The heavy degree of public school students in the hall is, IMO, a result of the obsession with communal dining and formal dinners and the focus on hall sports etc.

I would definitely look round, preferably during term time, and really try to get a feel for the place.

hi i was jsut writing to say that your a tad misguided about wills. I've been there for 2 years now, one of those years being part of the JCR committee. Dring my stay i've always had vacation residence and rent prices are no different to badock or the bunker for quad rooms (although you'll pay more for an enuite). This year wills was not a rahh hall, yes obviously there is a certain proportion of "very" upper class people but at the same time there are lots of state school people too. I would totally reccomend it, from my expierience (although biased) we've put on some of the best events. generally JCR's that are made up of returners are better than those that are made up of first years which is another thing to think about. Also another thing to look at is returner rates. Halls such as Wills, Churchill, CHH and Goldeny all have really high rates of returners whereas some halls get 2 or 3 people comming back. I think last year wills and goldeny had 90 returners between them and this shows thier popularity. However, other halls like Hiatt Baker which don't have lots of returners are still great places to be. At the end of the day everyone i know loved where they stayed in the first year and it really doesn't matter. You will meet life long friends whereever you are.

General Tips for applications to popular halls
In general halls like wills are looking for people that will add to hall life. That doesn't mean that you have to have been on every sporting team etc but you need to have done something. Also fo wills there are certain facilities such as a chaple, gym, squash courts that other halls don't have. If you really have a need/want to use them then your more likely to be offered a place.

Its unwise to apply for all of the oversubscribed halls. To make sure you get a place in hall, I would put a lesser subscribed hall at least 3rd or preferably on your list (out of 5). If you really want to get into a particular hall then make you personal statement go all out for that hall. The accomodation forms work on a system where you form gets passed from your first choice hall down the list until you are accepted. so in theory if you apply for all oversubscribed halls and get rejected you might not get any of your choices.

Don't lie. Yes lying might get you into your choice hall but say you lie and say you've been in an orchestra for x years but in reality havn't played for years and can't remeber what your doing..at some point the warden is bound to ask you if you want to play for x event and then you end up looking like a fool.

certain halls have a drama/music/sport focus... find out what focus the hall you want to get into is and play to your strengths.

Go and visit. Most of the hall secretaries are lovely and will freely give you whatever information you want and let you have a nose around. Make sure you go when studetns are in though. Normally most halls have designated rooms that students have agreed to show visitors. Also you can never get a feel for a place properly until you have been there.

Latest

Trending

Trending