The Student Room Group

Oxford Chemistry Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I might be applying.. Have to decide soon.

Mrcarrot
I was going not to apply on the grounds that they pretty much require alevel maths and i don't have AS- however having received AAAAA* yesterday, and the fact that i'm doing an open uni maths course as well as not being able to find 5 unis I like anyway... I might just go for it on the off-chance that there's no competition this year or something :p:

I think I read that 90% of those that get in have Maths.. Which means that 10% don't, so there's still a chance. :smile:
Reply 381
dancing.barefoot
I might be applying.. Have to decide soon.

I think I read that 90% of those that get in have Maths.. Which means that 10% don't, so there's still a chance. :smile: (I'm Draconis btw, wanted a new username..)
Haha, such a tiny chance but I may try anyway :smile: Oh hey! Congrats on your results :| you got way more points than me, but same grades, high fives :p:
Mrcarrot
Haha, such a tiny chance but I may try anyway :smile: Oh hey! Congrats on your results :| you got way more points than me, but same grades, high fives :p:

:thumbsup: You have great results. :biggrin:

I think you should apply anyway. Chemistry isn't at all competitive so with four As you'll probably get at least 3 offers anyway. :smile:
What grades and UMS did you guys get?
Reply 384
dancing.barefoot
:thumbsup: You have great results. :biggrin:

I think you should apply anyway. Chemistry isn't at all competitive so with four As you'll probably get at least 3 offers anyway. :smile:
That's the plan :smile: Thanks very much! You too :smile:

For the above: I got

Physics: 270/300 (A)
Chemistry: 259/300 (A)
Biology: 247/300 (A)
Geography: 168/200 (A)
Extended Project: 56/56 (A*)

:smile:
I got Classics A 180/200
Maths A 260/300
Physics 267/300
Chemistry 269/300

Obv GCSE's on profile and that, I'm dropping classics for next year and hoping to push into A8 on chme and physics.
TigerJack
What grades and UMS did you guys get?

In my sig, in my first post. Four As :smile: You?
Nice results you guys, let's hope we all get in :smile:
I have extenuating circumstances for my GCSEs, so they probably won't be taken into account. (Even though I'm proud of the results I got!)
TigerJack
Nice results you guys, let's hope we all get in :smile:

Lets :smile:
Any thoughts about colleges?
Reply 390
dancing.barefoot
I have extenuating circumstances for my GCSEs, so they probably won't be taken into account. (Even though I'm proud of the results I got!)
What did you get? I "only got" 4A*s and 6As so I don't really know where I stand.

I haven't thought about colleges yet, the system daunts me.
Mrcarrot
I was going not to apply on the grounds that they pretty much require alevel maths and i don't have AS- however having received AAAAA* yesterday, and the fact that i'm doing an open uni maths course as well as not being able to find 5 unis I like anyway... I might just go for it on the off-chance that there's no competition this year or something :p:

Can you not do something like drop biology and take up full a level maths in a year. I got an A in Further Maths AS and still got a 3rd in first year maths.
Mrcarrot
What did you get? I "only got" 4A*s and 6As so I don't really know where I stand.

I haven't thought about colleges yet, the system daunts me.

4A*s and 6As is about average for Oxford students I think. :smile:
I got 4A*s and 1A. My school only let me do 5 since I was only able to attend lessons once or twice a week (due to a chronic illness). Still very happy with those results though.
think i'm going to apply for this or maths at oxford not sure yet... have done further reaidng in both subjects though as they both interest me to leave my options open

chemistry 292/300
maths 291/300
f. maths 277/300
physics 259/300
economics 186/200

EDIT: i liked brasenose college when i looked around
Reply 394
Turdburger
Can you not do something like drop biology and take up full a level maths in a year. I got an A in Further Maths AS and still got a 3rd in first year maths.
Blimey :frown:

I could do that. I've mulled it over though and i'm not sure whether the pros outweigh the cons or not yet...
I've short-listed it to 6 which I'm revisiting in September. My GCSE's were 10A*'s which is obviously pleasing. How many do you think will apply to oxford for chem this year?
TigerJack
I've short-listed it to 6 which I'm revisiting in September. My GCSE's were 10A*'s which is obviously pleasing. How many do you think will apply to oxford for chem this year?

Probably in the region of 500-600.
There's about 200 places, no?
Mrcarrot

My friend does Chem at Oxford and he said quite a few people are studying there sans a-level maths (he also noted that he was amazed at that because his degree apparently is 'basically maths')
SiaSiaSia
My friend does Chem at Oxford and he said quite a few people are studying there sans a-level maths (he also noted that he was amazed at that because his degree apparently is 'basically maths')

I remember a guy from Annes in my year saying he and the other people without Alevel maths or equivalent had to have extra lessons (with Dr. Grout:biggrin: )

About 7 of them if I recall. In my year anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending