The Student Room Group

Oxford Chemistry Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Isabobble
Ah, might be just me then :p: nah it's not THAT many people, it just made me laugh hearing that I'd already been discussed in general college gossip! I was hoping to get there as a relative stranger haha! And yup... it is indeed true :awesome: I have one of those lower back ones that looks as though it's gonna be something written in Japanese or what have you. Except it's not, it's the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle :lol:. Have you had your reading list yet? I've got the books and I've read quite a bit, but I don't want to do any actual work unless I know what I have to do!

I'm not sure whether this is really bad or not, but I've never heard of whatever that is :P ! Is it some physics/mechanics term or is it a chemistry one I should know about :confused:

I don't know how far to read into these books because I swear I'm gonna forget everything in freshers week and they seem to suggest you've just got to get a scope of the sort of work! How much have you lot read?
danhirons
I'm not sure whether this is really bad or not, but I've never heard of whatever that is :P ! Is it some physics/mechanics term or is it a chemistry one I should know about :confused:

I don't know how far to read into these books because I swear I'm gonna forget everything in freshers week and they seem to suggest you've just got to get a scope of the sort of work! How much have you lot read?

Uhhhmm... it's quantum mechanics, so a bit of both haha. I think we do it in 1st year? Not sure though. I only really know about it from outside reading and being a proper geek and buying a couple of textbooks last year. Unfortunately as people there already know I've got it written on me I'll have to be able to explain it perfectly ahah :eek:.

And I've just read the first few chapters of organic, had a look most of the fundamental concepts for physical and had a peek at inorganic. No idea what I'm gonna do with the maths though, I've probably forgotten how to do everything and it's going to be awful...
Isabobble
Uhhhmm... it's quantum mechanics, so a bit of both haha. I think we do it in 1st year? Not sure though. I only really know about it from outside reading and being a proper geek and buying a couple of textbooks last year. Unfortunately as people there already know I've got it written on me I'll have to be able to explain it perfectly ahah :eek:.

And I've just read the first few chapters of organic, had a look most of the fundamental concepts for physical and had a peek at inorganic. No idea what I'm gonna do with the maths though, I've probably forgotten how to do everything and it's going to be awful...

ahhhhhh haha,

I've got Sivia's book for maths, well should be delivered to me soon :P, and just looking at past A2 calculations etc. Organic's where I'm weakest at so just going through Sykes atm :biggrin:

Edit: Oh and I wanted to ask people already there/going there what to do about Lab coats? Do you take your own or buy one there or what?
for all you guys with a place i'm applying as we speak! and would like to know any tips for the interview/personal statement?
Reply 984
danhirons
ahhhhhh haha,

I've got Sivia's book for maths, well should be delivered to me soon :P, and just looking at past A2 calculations etc. Organic's where I'm weakest at so just going through Sykes atm :biggrin:

Edit: Oh and I wanted to ask people already there/going there what to do about Lab coats? Do you take your own or buy one there or what?

Sykes is awesome. Not so keen on Clayden though :s-smilie: :frown: I got a book by Steiner, the Chemistry Maths Book. Seems sexy enough to do the trick.
Powerhead
Sykes is awesome. Not so keen on Clayden though :s-smilie: :frown: I got a book by Steiner, the Chemistry Maths Book. Seems sexy enough to do the trick.

I have Steiner too :h: *chemistry five*! I haven't seen Sykes... how does it differ from Clayden?
Reply 986
Isabobble
I have Steiner too :h: *chemistry five*! I haven't seen Sykes... how does it differ from Clayden?

Sykes focuses on organic mechanisms in particular. That is, there are no chapters on nomenclature, or spectroscopy for example. A little bit of comparing apples and oranges on my part, as they obviously have different focus, but still, I don't really like the fact there is a lot of chapter-hopping in Clayden >.<

*reciprocate chemistry five*

I am using it for filling up the holes that our odd mathematics curriculum has left me with. Even with Steiner firmly by my side, though, mathematics give me lots of ph34r. :s-smilie:

EDIT: Bugged emoticons.
Reply 987
From what I remember, Grout (the main maths lecturer) slates Steiner's book. Sykes is OK, but is an entirely different type of text from Clayden et al. Although CGWW is not perfect, it's as close to 'the perfect organic textbook' (an entirely mythical entity) as you'll find.
Anybody want to buy a fairly good set of university textbooks.

Clayen
Sykes
Atkins
Inorganic Atkins thing
Greenwood and Earnshaw (This is very good for Inorganic Finals when you get to them)
The Standard Maths book whose name I forget
Another Maths one which is actually good and nearly new
3 or so primers.

Any offers?
Reply 989
Turdburger
Anybody want to buy a fairly good set of university textbooks.

Any offers?

What's the condition on the inorganic atkins? And what edition is it? PM pls.
Right ok, I have a bit of an odd question... How much contact is there (generally) between undergrads and DPhil students in terms of labs? Do they use the same buildings on a regular basis? :s-smilie:
Reply 991
Isabobble
Right ok, I have a bit of an odd question... How much contact is there (generally) between undergrads and DPhil students in terms of labs? Do they use the same buildings on a regular basis? :s-smilie:

Not at very much afaik. There are separate teaching labs, and research is in the CRL, I think?
Reply 992
Research and teaching labs are separate entities. Bear in mind, however, that most of the people supervising you in labs will be DPhil students.
cpchem
Research and teaching labs are separate entities. Bear in mind, however, that most of the people supervising you in labs will be DPhil students.

Ah thanks. And :zomg:... argh!
Reply 994
Isabobble
Ah thanks. And :zomg:... argh!

Trying to avoid somebody?
BJack
Trying to avoid somebody?

...:ninja:

Sadly, yes :emo:. Not the best situation to get myself in lol, I realise...
Reply 996
guitarmike456
Hey guys i'm looking to apply for chemistry at oxford
I applied to an open day at lincoln college however now I think i want to look around st anne's college
The only thing is that St annes says it only admits 4 chemistry students per year :eek:
does anyone know how many the other colleges (lincoln) admit per year?
Mike

It's on their respective websites. But atleast one helpful soul, has already consolidated the information for you - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27647985&postcount=762. Keep in mind however, that what matters at the end of the day is the applicant/place ratio, not solely the number of places.
I think my Personal statement is finished, but I am still not sure of its quality. Is it possible for one of you guys to perhaps review my personal statement? If anyone is interested, please PM me.
Reply 998
Summerdays
I think my Personal statement is finished, but I am still not sure of its quality. Is it possible for one of you guys to perhaps review my personal statement? If anyone is interested, please PM me.

There is a PS reviewing forum on TSR, I suggest you post it there.
Reply 999
By the way, what would people here recommend to focus my maths revision on? Especially since I was under a different curriculum, I'd like to know which stuff of the A-level curriculum are a "must-have" if you will? That is, so I can atleast take a look at them before October.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending