The Student Room Group

Oxford Chemistry Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Sinuhe
I only did one science (chemistry, obviously!) in the IB, although maths and further maths (as an extra subject) were also relatively relevant. My other four subjects were three language/literature subjects and philosophy, alongside the 'diploma core' (TOK/EE/CAS). And I got in.
The fact that you haven't done physics at A-level shouldn't really disadvantage you in the course itself, once you're past admissions. I didn't do physics, and I got the highest mark in the university in physical chemistry last year (don't know about the marks distribution this year yet).

It's a bit worrying what they're doing with the physical course this year though. Lecture lists have been published and first years apparently have no real 'physics' courses any more - no classical mechanics, no optics, waves and fields. I don't know how they expect people to understand quantum theory without it, although it could very well all be incorporated in the newly prolonged introduction to quantum theory course, or possibly the maths course (for some reason British people are often under the (delusional!) impression that mechanics is part of maths rather than physics ... :wink: ).

In the words of Sascha Cohen, respekt. :wink:
rfrd, in my experience it seems to be the older colleges such as Balliol and Merton that lean towards physical chemistry. You can often get an idea by looking on the website, where Balliol actually mentions it's history in that area. However your A level mechanics is useful to have, and as cpchem said, a significant number of students get in without physics.
Reply 122
But merton says physics or biology is acceptable whereas others say that physics is highly desirable
Reply 123
Seriously though, it doesn't matter, as the general consensus is that A-level/IB physics and/or biology are both a joke. The only purpose they seem to serve is to give you a basic grounding in the subjects, so that the tutors need not start from scratch. The mere fact that IB physics is taught without calculus is ridiculous, because that only allows for very special cases in electromagnetism and so on, hence not very applicable in real life.
cpchem
I'd be pretty sure you'd still get an interview... unless your third A-level is media studies or something.

Oi oi Carl - watch it :wink:

Some of us actually did take Media Studies as our other A Level - and we still managed to get in. :p:

BTW - are you the same Carl from Balliol that gave me a mock interview last year? And sadistically asked me to recite the periodic table from memory :biggrin:
Reply 125
That sounds like me, yup! Anyway, I only asked for one or two things, and I maintain that it was justified - I've heard of it being done.

Surely you ought to take that as a compliment, though... taking media studies and they still think you're suitable... it says something!
Reply 126
1) Yes.
2) Impossible to answer, it varies every year.
3) Yes.
4) Yes, possibly.

Sorry for the blunt answers, but I recommend declining the D grade in CT - that is exactly what I would do. Modulely speaking, you are not so strong, but besides that 4A's is not bad. I would dare say your GCSE's are above average, but A-levels - slightly below average, if we take into account the module grades. But you still have a chance if you are up for the challenge.

Ok, here is what I would do: apply, because trust me, you are not wasting a UCAS spot, do not mention about the full marks in modules - it's overrated, and do you best in your PS and interview. Make sure your teacher writes a good reference about you. Do well in your coming A2 exams.

And finally, just don't worry too much about it. With 4 A's, I wouldn't worry too much.
Reply 127
I don't know if this is an unrealistic question to ask:

How many pages of notes (approximately or exactly even better) did you have for the first year? This includes all lecture notes, tutorial notes etc. that you would put in a folder.

I am intending to buy a folder for inorganic, organic, physical, and maybe even mathematics. Please tell me roughly how many sheets I should expect for each "subject".

A digital photo of all your notes would also do. :smile:
Well, I'm a Physicist and maybe I space things out too much, but we had four modules in our first year and I filled four large folders - one for each module. Then I had my short option in an extra folder. However, I know of other people who got all the lectures, tute notes and past exam papers in about 2 folders.
I dont think you have to declare your module grades do you. I know for my year (the year above you) lots of people didnt.
Reply 130
Eau

How many pages of notes (approximately or exactly even better) did you have for the first year? This includes all lecture notes, tutorial notes etc. that you would put in a folder.

I am intending to buy a folder for inorganic, organic, physical, and maybe even mathematics. Please tell me roughly how many sheets I should expect for each "subject".

I have three box files - one for each of org, inorg and phys. They're all pretty full. My maths notes are somewhat less, shall we say "consolidated" (i.e. I don't know where they all are).
Heartbreaker
I dont think you have to declare your module grades do you. I know for my year (the year above you) lots of people didnt.

I didn't give my module grades either - not that there was anything wrong with them ... it just wasn't my college's policy to declare them.
Eau

Don't kow how many pages but I filled a huuuge lever arch folder for each one and still had some left over, but this included tute notes and problems where I sometimes filled maybe 20-40 sides for each.
Reply 133
cpchem
I have three box files - one for each of org, inorg and phys. They're all pretty full. My maths notes are somewhat less, shall we say "consolidated" (i.e. I don't know where they all are).

dancingqueen
Don't kow how many pages but I filled a huuuge lever arch folder for each one and still had some left over, but this included tute notes and problems where I sometimes filled maybe 20-40 sides for each.

Thanks for the replies. I kinda have a sense of how much notes I will be intaking now...

P.S. do you actually read your notes more than once? I mean from experience, I stored a lot of notes for my A-levels, and 99% of the sheets were not read more than once! But I still feel guilty trashing them.
Reply 134
please can someone get me an offer??!!¿¿¡¡¡¡
Eau
1) Yes.
2) Impossible to answer, it varies every year.
3) Yes.
4) Yes, possibly.

Sorry for the blunt answers, but I recommend declining the D grade in CT - that is exactly what I would do. Modulely speaking, you are not so strong, but besides that 4A's is not bad. I would dare say your GCSE's are above average, but A-levels - slightly below average, if we take into account the module grades. But you still have a chance if you are up for the challenge.

Ok, here is what I would do: apply, because trust me, you are not wasting a UCAS spot, do not mention about the full marks in modules - it's overrated, and do you best in your PS and interview. Make sure your teacher writes a good reference about you. Do well in your coming A2 exams.

And finally, just don't worry too much about it. With 4 A's, I wouldn't worry too much.

why is it overrated to mention full marks? isnt that somehting to be proud of? i got 98% in my bio and maths as levels and full marks in two chemistry modules and i was planning to mention them or get referee to. are you saying this is a bad idea?

Also as a general quesiton i did volunteer work experience at a local hospital and my shcool say to mentin this jsut shwos ur not lazy and can organise somehting. but i think its clearly useless mentioning that when applyign to do chemistry. what is everyones opinion on this?
Reply 136
happyheart
why is it overrated to mention full marks? isnt that somehting to be proud of? i got 98% in my bio and maths as levels and full marks in two chemistry modules and i was planning to mention them or get referee to. are you saying this is a bad idea?

Also as a general quesiton i did volunteer work experience at a local hospital and my shcool say to mentin this jsut shwos ur not lazy and can organise somehting. but i think its clearly useless mentioning that when applyign to do chemistry. what is everyones opinion on this?

Your referee mentioning your excellent module marks wouldn't count against you, so don't worry about it! Mine didn't, but plenty of people do get specific marks mentioned (I didn't know that when I applied...).

I was in a fairly similar situation to you regarding the work experience. Over the past couple of summers (and this one) I've been working in doctors' surgery - it's a summer job, not work experience, but something that is typically associated with medicine applicants. However, if you have gained something useful (particularly chem related) out of the process there is no reason not to mention it; some of my work involved dealing with prescriptions, and I linked this to the relevance of chemists in creating these pharmaceuticals. I can't remember exactly what I wrote, but I made it clear that this enhanced my appreciation of chemistry (which is true). Although Oxford isn't bothered by extra-curriculars, other universities may well appreciate the organisational skills and a sentence or two in a mainly academic PS wouldn't be overdoing it. :smile:
stumpy
Your referee mentioning your excellent module marks wouldn't count against you, so don't worry about it! Mine didn't, but plenty of people do get specific marks mentioned (I didn't know that when I applied...).

I was in a fairly similar situation to you regarding the work experience. Over the past couple of summers (and this one) I've been working in doctors' surgery - it's a summer job, not work experience, but something that is typically associated with medicine applicants. However, if you have gained something useful (particularly chem related) out of the process there is no reason not to mention it; some of my work involved dealing with prescriptions, and I linked this to the relevance of chemists in creating these pharmaceuticals. I can't remember exactly what I wrote, but I made it clear that this enhanced my appreciation of chemistry (which is true). Although Oxford isn't bothered by extra-curriculars, other universities may well appreciate the organisational skills and a sentence or two in a mainly academic PS wouldn't be overdoing it. :smile:

thanks i wasgoing to say somehting similar abotu pharmaceuticals but i didnt want it to come across as "im trying to make up a reason for doing this" kidn of hting. but yeh thanks for the advice
Reply 138
Eau

Ok, here is what I would do: apply, because trust me, you are not wasting a UCAS spot, do not mention about the full marks in modules - it's overrated...

v

Oxford University, Instructions for Completing the Oxford Application Form:

27. Additional Information

'This section should also be used to indicate... for example: performance in particular modules (UMS scores), if taking A levels...'
Reply 139
Elles - you're so COOL! You have a red dot next to your name! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending