The Student Room Group

Oxford Chemistry Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Any Singapore or international applicants here?? Care to share about your application and interview experience in the year 2012/2013?
Hello everyone !!

What does the questions look like for those who want to study an undergraduate chemistry course ??

Another point, I'm an international student and I wonder if I haven't a good english ! is that will be a serious problem or I'll will be judged only on my chemistry skills ( cause I have to take IELTS anyway) ?
The interview for most MChem courses are generally straight forward. I went to Manchetser and all I got asked was what interests me in the course, am I finding my A-levels fun and what do I hope to achieve at the end of the University course. As long as you can string a sentence together you should be fine. Were are you from and to what uni are you applying to?
Original post by Charzhino
The interview for most MChem courses are generally straight forward. I went to Manchetser and all I got asked was what interests me in the course, am I finding my A-levels fun and what do I hope to achieve at the end of the University course. As long as you can string a sentence together you should be fine. Were are you from and to what uni are you applying to?

This is in the Oxford forum.

Original post by david.davis
Hello everyone !!

What does the questions look like for those who want to study an undergraduate chemistry course ??

Another point, I'm an international student and I wonder if I haven't a good english ! is that will be a serious problem or I'll will be judged only on my chemistry skills ( cause I have to take IELTS anyway) ?

I can't comment specifically on Oxford, but I had a Chemistry interview for Cambridge at the end of last year, and I imagine they are similar. I was asked almost exclusively academic questions about my chemistry knowledge - the interviewer presented fairly open ended questions that I could answer with my knowledge, but often had no single correct answer.

I don't think you will be specifically tested on your English skills, but you will have to speak good enough English to get by - they won't want to teach someone who struggles with English.
I'm wondering if they will ask me questions about Chemistry such as organic chemistry which includes shapes of molecules, mechanisme of reactions .. and other subjects in chemistry ! So do they ask a specific questions like these ?
In the interview you will be asked specific chemistry chemistry. Without going into too much detail, I was asked about the shapes of d-orbitals for inorganic and simple steps and mechanisms in the synthesis of an artificial sweetener. I was interviewing internationally over Skype, and so my math and physical question was combined, but normally, you'd have one of each of those as well.

Obviously, the interview would be easier if you were a native english speaker, but I think as long as your chemistry is fine, they would be satisfied with IELTS that meet the minimum requirements. I do know people here whose english I would not call good, and they get by well now, though it was definitely more difficult in the beginning of the year.
Hello !!

I need to talk to someone on Skype who applied before (or 2013 Applicant) to read chemistry, so he can give me his opinion about my grades, if they are competitive to apply for Chemstry)

Any help would be appreciated
Thank you
PS : Please send your ID Skype on private message, so I can add you
Reply 1387
Hi,

As I've stated in the title, I'm going to apply to undergraduate Chemistry at Oxford University come October. I'm wondering if there's something specific to think about when writing the Personal Statement, either concerning personal statements to Oxford generally, or chemistry specifically. Would it be a good indication to check out the Personal Statement guide on Physics and do the same, but for Chemistry instead?

I'm well aware that it's still very early, but I thought I'd get this thread up here as soon as possible in case there's something specific that I can do to boost my chances of being shortlisted, such as work experience for Medicine.

I apologize if this is in the inappropriate section and kindly ask any moderator to move it to the appropriate place if anyone is bothered by this.
The main problem with this is that TSR has thousands of members. If someone posts that you should write a certain thing in your PS then everyone will see that and include it in their PS - which means that thing isn't individual and unique any more. It won't mae you stand out.

So the best thing that anyone here can tell you is to be passionate about your subject. Read around it as much as possible. Get as many UMS marks as possible. Get work experience if you can. Burn a hole in your pyjamas with your chemistry set. But do it because you want to, and not because TSR told you to.
Reply 1389
Original post by nursing_sue
The main problem with this is that TSR has thousands of members. If someone posts that you should write a certain thing in your PS then everyone will see that and include it in their PS - which means that thing isn't individual and unique any more. It won't mae you stand out.

So the best thing that anyone here can tell you is to be passionate about your subject. Read around it as much as possible. Get as many UMS marks as possible. Get work experience if you can. Burn a hole in your pyjamas with your chemistry set. But do it because you want to, and not because TSR told you to.

I'm not looking for something specific though, I'm referring to 'general' things to include. Take medicine for example, very few would write a PS without talking about work experience. I think the best thing to do would be to look at the Physics guide and base it on that because I imagine them to look at chemistry and physics similarly.

What are UMS marks? I am not from the UK.

Thanks for your reply.
Reply 1390
Original post by Doppel
I'm not looking for something specific though, I'm referring to 'general' things to include. Take medicine for example, very few would write a PS without talking about work experience. I think the best thing to do would be to look at the Physics guide and base it on that because I imagine them to look at chemistry and physics similarly.

What are UMS marks? I am not from the UK.

Thanks for your reply.

I applied this year, and the sort of things I was told to include were:

Projects like CREST award (or similar project work)

Chemistry competitions

Lectures I have been to

Work experience if you have any (which I didn't)

Chemistry books I have read

Obviously there's other things that could be included, and you don't need all of them, but hopefully this gives you an idea.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1391
Original post by jbc123
I applied this year, and the sort of things I was told to include were:

Projects like CREST award (or similar project work)

Chemistry competitions

Lectures I have been to

Work experience if you have any (which I didn't)

Chemistry books I have read

Obviously there's other things that could be included, and you don't need all of them, but hopefully this gives you an idea.

May I ask how it went? If you were shortlisted for an interview, how did that go? What kind of questions were you asked?

Also, I have never taken part in a Chemistry competition (never really been interested in competing against others in any subject in that way). Do you think they would care much about it? Logically speaking, work experience in chemistry shouldn't be expected. It's not really a field you can get a job in without any expertise. In Sweden at least, there are no jobs even related to chemistry that would be obtainable.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1392
Original post by Doppel
May I ask how it went? If you were shortlisted for an interview, how did that go? What kind of questions were you asked?

Also, I have never taken part in a Chemistry competition (never really been interested in competing against others in any subject in that way). Do you think they would care much about it? Logically speaking, work experience in chemistry shouldn't be expected. It's not really a field you can get a job in without any expertise. In Sweden at least, there are no jobs even related to chemistry that would be obtainable.

I applied for Cambridge (for natural sciences with chemistry as my main subject), but, from what I've heard, the oxford application process is basically the same.

In my chemistry interview, I got a few questions about the structure of metals and band theory, and I had several questions about trends in the periodic table. I also had an interview testing my maths skills, which I found more difficult (It was mostly just deriving equations and questions relating to statistics and calculus). But somehow I got an offer despite all the mistakes I made in that interview.

And they won't mind about whether you have done competitions as long as you have other ways of showing you are interested in chemistry.

And they seem to understand how hard it is to find work experience - I didn't feel disadvantaged because I didn't have any.
Reply 1393
Original post by jbc123
I applied for Cambridge (for natural sciences with chemistry as my main subject), but, from what I've heard, the oxford application process is basically the same.

In my chemistry interview, I got a few questions about the structure of metals and band theory, and I had several questions about trends in the periodic table. I also had an interview testing my maths skills, which I found more difficult (It was mostly just deriving equations and questions relating to statistics and calculus). But somehow I got an offer despite all the mistakes I made in that interview.

And they won't mind about whether you have done competitions as long as you have other ways of showing you are interested in chemistry.

And they seem to understand how hard it is to find work experience - I didn't feel disadvantaged because I didn't have any.

I see. Thanks for the reply!
Hello,

I'm currently studying Medicine at a University in Finland, but I'm not liking the course very much, in fact, hardly at all. Before applying for medicine here, I applied to UK Med Schools as well, including Oxford, but was ultimately rejected (which I am happy about in retrospect, because I've realized that medicine is not for me). When I applied to Oxford, it was an open application, but I was allocated to St. Hugh's College and after researching that College, I must say that I was very pleased with it.

Now here's the thing. I'm going to apply to Oxford Chemistry for entry in 2014. While studying Medicine here, I've also taken two university courses in Chemistry (an inorganic course and a physical chemistry one) and quite frankly, I've enjoyed those two courses far more than my first year in Medicine which is why I want to study Chemistry full-time. However, I do have a few questions.

1. Would me choosing St. Hugh's College in my application disadvantage me in any way, because I was allocated to that College in the past and rejected (pre-interview)?
2. Since Oxford interviews +95% of all Chemistry applicants, there's a very good chance of me being interviewed. Do you think the tutors would judge me more harshly because I've already studied Chemistry at university level (note that my courses were 'independent' and each was roughly 3 months), or would they simply see it as something positive because it shows that I am indeed interested in studying Chemistry and judge me on the same basis as all the other applicants?
3. Would the fact that I have studied Medicine for almost a year now disadvantage me? I am concerned that they will assume that Chemistry is my 'second' choice when that really isn't the case. I simply preferred Medicine at first because of the more career options (I will obviously address this in my PS).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1395
Original post by Ripple Effect
1. Would me choosing St. Hugh's College in my application disadvantage me in any way, because I was allocated to that College in the past and rejected (pre-interview)?

It's a different subject with different tutors. It won't matter at all.

2. Since Oxford interviews +95% of all Chemistry applicants, there's a very good chance of me being interviewed. Do you think the tutors would judge me more harshly because I've already studied Chemistry at university level (note that my courses were 'independent' and each was roughly 3 months), or would they simply see it as something positive because it shows that I am indeed interested in studying Chemistry and judge me on the same basis as all the other applicants?

The interview questions are designed to be answerable without university-level chemistry knowledge, so in that sense you should not be at an advantage or disadvantage for already having more experience. They might have higher expectations of you for having already studied some higher-level chemistry. On the other hand, I had been exposed to some higher-level chemistry before my interview and I think it helped me rather than hindered me.

3. Would the fact that I have studied Medicine for almost a year now disadvantage me? I am concerned that they will assume that Chemistry is my 'second' choice when that really isn't the case. I simply preferred Medicine at first because of the more career options (I will obviously address this in my PS).

No.
Slightly irrelevant question but ill ask anyway (for people studying at Oxford currently/in the past)

The chemistry year is big, but obviously within colleges there are only around 4-10 per year. Does the whole chemistry intake mix much? Do you know most of your year?
How many people are in a lab session, and are you given a specific lab partner?
Reply 1397
About the interviews, I've seen people mention that questions regarding reaction mechanisms are often asked. Is this true? If so, what type of reaction mechanisms are we talking about?
Reply 1398
Original post by Doppel
About the interviews, I've seen people mention that questions regarding reaction mechanisms are often asked. Is this true? If so, what type of reaction mechanisms are we talking about?

It would only be something straightforward like a Friedel-Crafts reaction. Maybe find an A level syllabus and see which mechanisms students are expected to know. (e.g. here)
Reply 1399
Original post by BJack
It would only be something straightforward like a Friedel-Crafts reaction. Maybe find an A level syllabus and see which mechanisms students are expected to know. (e.g. here)

Thanks! Perfect for those of us who haven't taken A-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending