The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter accommodation 2009

So... what's everyone thinking? Self-catered or catered halls?

I'm defintely self-catered en-suite although not entirely sure where to go! St German's looks great although heavily oversubscribed and most current students say it's not worth the money?!

I think my other two will be James Owen and Northfield (although this is also quite expensive!)

The catered halls look nicer than the self-catered but it seems a pain to have set meal times?!

Scroll to see replies

Self Catered 1. Lafrowda enhanced 2. Lafrowda Standard 3. ????? I don't have a clue. Obviously I want self catered but can't afford an ensuite, and even though I like the look of st.davids, it's more expensive than the other enhance accommodation. I guess I will have to put Cook Mews, but don't want to be off campus :s-smilie: Anyone have any suggestions about what I should do eeek :s-smilie:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Self Catered yes. En suite no. Waste of your money. You don't need it. Its a waste of space. Choose Lafrowda and win.
Reply 3
Yeah, i was thinking about putting Lafrowda enhanced in as a choice too. I'd quite like en-suite, my parents want me to too but i think i'd rather be on campus than have en-suite i guess.
My parents have said that they will pay for my accommodation (such a relief!) and are ok with the St German's prices so i will definitely put that as my first chioce, then it's a toss up between James Owen Court, Northfield and Lafrowda enhanced.
It would be great to be on campus and apparently it's further from Northfield to my building than James Owen is even though Northfield is much closer to campus (i'd be based in Amory).

Difficult!
Reply 4
I'd say the distance from JOC to Amory is probably 1.5 to 2 times the distance from Northfield. Northfield's definitely closer - it's technically not on campus but only in the sense that it's on the other side of the road - but neither is particularly far away so it's not much of an issue.

But, seriously, not being on campus isn't a problem. People get really obsessed with it, when it's actually no big deal. You'll need to be on campus some of the time, for some things, but you'll need and want to be in town at other times for other things, and the campus and city centre are within easy walking distance of one another. I don't know why people get as worked up as they sometimes do about being on campus - it seems to really worry people before they get here, and then stops worrying them when they arrive and find out it's fine. I don't know that I can explain it any better than that!
Reply 5
I'd also say don't bother with ensuite, it's expensive and unnecessary, unless you have an illness that really does require that you have it.
I also agree with Persipan; in Exeter nothing's really that far from anything. I had friends in Exeter living just about everywhere from Exwick to Monks Road...didn't seem to cause them any problems.
Reply 6
Angelil
I'd also say don't bother with ensuite, it's expensive and unnecessary, unless you have an illness that really does require that you have it.
I also agree with Persipan; in Exeter nothing's really that far from anything. I had friends in Exeter living just about everywhere from Exwick to Monks Road...didn't seem to cause them any problems.

yeah, i know it isn't but my dad is very set on me being on campus which is a pain :s-smilie:
so i think i'd put down St G's, Northfield and then Lafrowda enhanced. But he said then if i don't get a decent one then he wants me to go catered just so's i can be on campus but i seriously don't want catered!!!!
Reply 7
ChloeGsy
yeah, i know it isn't but my dad is very set on me being on campus which is a pain :s-smilie:
so i think i'd put down St G's, Northfield and then Lafrowda enhanced. But he said then if i don't get a decent one then he wants me to go catered just so's i can be on campus but i seriously don't want catered!!!!

Um. Really, my advice to your dad would be the same as to you; being on campus isn't the be all and end all. I'd ask him why he's that set on it - he obviously has some concern, and depending on what it is we might be able to set his mind at ease a bit. Is he worried you'd be a million miles away? (You wouldn't.) Does he think you wouldn't be with other first years? (You would.) Does he think you'd be somehow 'safer' on campus? (Exeter's generally a very safe place, and I don't see how being on one or the other side of an invisible line makes a lot of difference, here.) What's his thought process?
Reply 8
Surely its your decision and not someone elses?

Isn't that what university is all about?
Reply 9
yes, but you haven't met my parents!
don't get the wrong impression - i do make my own decisions etc - they don't rule my life! for one, my dad didn't want my course at all let alone exeter.
i guess, for him, being on campus signifies really being a part of the university and yes, i think in his mind, for some reason, he thinks it's safer. He knows Exeter isn't dangerous it's just, coming from Guernsey, anything seems bigger and everything so i think he likes the idea of me being on campus.
Also (just guessing here, but i know him - unfortunately) i think in his mind campus = uni = work, which is what 'uni is all about, not having fun!' (his words, not mine!) whereas living off campus = having a life = more focused on fun than work.
yes, i know it sounds silly but i think that's him!
so yeah, probs to appease him (sometimes, these things are much easier) i'll do St G's, northfield and lafrowda even though northfield seems very expensive.
Reply 10
Okay, all fair points. My parents didn't play any part in my university career so I guess its something a little alien to me.

Out of those choices I would implore you (as would most others here worth their salt) to choose Lafrowda over the others. Really, it is the best choice. Having lived in pretty much all of the university accommodation by now, the only campus accommodation I would willingly choose would be Lafrowda. I wouldn't be too wild on Northfield if I were you, I have heard some discouraging things. Also being Unite, or whoever whatever they're called, I haven't heard good reviews about 'third-party' halls either.

Of course, ultimately your choice. Its always good to have informed consent though.
Reply 11
yes, and because i'm overseas, i'm not going to get much of a chance to look round any accommodation that isn't on the tour on the open day so i'm open to anybody's opinions! and very grateful!
yeah, and Northfield looks quite isolated! :frown:
on reflection, St German's, Lafrowda then Northfield....
now, no offence to anyone at all, but does it get a bit skanky with people sharing a bathroom?! Does everyone make an effort to keep it relatively clean? (i know they get cleaned too!)
Reply 12
If I had a pound for every time someone asked about the bathrooms...

No. A cleaner comes round twice a week to clean them. In fact, the bathrooms in Lafrowda were cleaner than my en-suite here. Plus I've never had any trouble and none of my friends who live or have lived in Lafrowda have had any trouble with toilets / showers being 'occupied' when they want to go and use them.

I would still very much dissuade you against St. Germans. Really. Lafrowda is just so much better than this place, in every single way.
Firstly, campus is not a crime free bubble. There's nothing wrong with living off campus in places like James Owen Court, Cook Mews etc. Nothing bad happens there, and people still do work. I'd say I did less work living on campus cos in my breaks between lectures I'd just toodle back to my room and take a nap instead of say, staying in the library, which I do alot more in second year now I live 20 mins walk off campus.

THE BATHROOM ISSUE! Ahhhhh!
I'll say it again;
Cleaners come round twice a week to clean the shower, bath, and the two toilets. I never ever had a problem with cleaniness in Lafrowda. Actually, just one problem...hair in the plughole in the shower. But come on, thats not that bad. Man up and get some rubber gloves...sorted.
I never had to wait for a shower. Maybe once. But only then it was about 2 minutes. I repeat again, Lafrowda flats are split between girls and boys. I had 6 boys in my flat. How long does the average boy take to shower? About 3 minutes. Its not an issue. Everyone has different timetables and habits etc so you hardly ever have to wait for long.

And ditto to lmcorr. Lafrowda rules superior over all other accommodation. It should be the most expensive IMO, not the cheapest :biggrin:
Does anyone have any idea: I'm going to ask to be in a single sex flat, but could this jeopardise my chance of getting into Lafrowda ? :s-smilie:
Reply 15
sophisticated
And ditto to lmcorr. Lafrowda rules superior over all other accommodation. It should be the most expensive IMO, not the cheapest :biggrin:

Hear hear! If I had the money, I'd quite happily pay Holland prices to live in Lafrowda again.
Reply 16
What about St Davids for another self-catered option? Only a little further than Northfields and they are really nice :smile:
Reply 17
yeah, Lafrowda is looking more lovely every time i log on tsr! you people do a good job in promoting it!
apparently, i read somewhere that St German's is going to be just international next year, would that be better for me then, give me a stronger chance to get in? (i'm overseas :smile:)
is northfields as isolated as it looks on the map?!
ChloeGsy
yeah, Lafrowda is looking more lovely every time i log on tsr! you people do a good job in promoting it!
apparently, i read somewhere that St German's is going to be just international next year, would that be better for me then, give me a stronger chance to get in? (i'm overseas :smile:)
is northfields as isolated as it looks on the map?!

St Germans is going to be INTO students I believe, which is students from China etc. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here? So I doubt you'd be placed in with them.
Lafrowda is brilliant. End of. Just go for it, its the best option and the cheapest so more money for things you want like going out, nice food, clothes, music etc. Whats not to love?
No, Northfields is not isolated at all. Its literally across the road from the road leading up to campus, and right next to the Impy (Weatherspoons) which is very popular with Uni students especially first years. But like someone else said, and as I forgot, it is run by UNITE as opposed to the University, and I have heard bad things about them. Still, I know someone who lives in Northernhay (in the city centre) which is also owned by UNITE and she loves it.
Reply 19
why, what do the UNITE people do?! are they more strict about things?!

OK, my official decided list (unless i see something next week that looks better/my choices look bad!) is St German's, Lafrowda, Northfield.
I decided I definitely want self-catered but that being on campus was more important than en-suite. I guess by putting lafrowda in there they're just going to ignore my plea for St German's but oh well, from what you guys have said, not having en-suite doesn't seem so bad!

Latest

Trending

Trending