The Student Room Group

Yes or No?

This has probably been done, in which case sorry but i'm in a bit of a dilema as to whether or not to take a gap year.
I have a 3 B offer from Glasgow which i'm going to accept but i didn't defer my entry so technically i have to go straight there, unless i ask them if i can defer now. If I can then i'd probably just work for a year and get some money, as i don't know if i feel ready to leave Bristol yet!
I can't make up my mind whether or not to take a year out though i keep changing my mind... Any ideas / advice?!
Sorry this is so long, it wasn't meant to be! :redface:
Hmm..

Points to consider:
Do you need to save up the money for uni on a gap year?
Do you know what exactly you'd do on it? (the year off)
Could you picture yourself in uni in a few months?
Perhaps u know other people who have taken gap years, you could speak with them..

I'm not doing a gap year myself, so can't really provide any personal information..

Time is running out, so it's coming up to make your mindup time! :p:
Reply 2
Hehe! yeah i know, that's whats so scary... i don't know if i can see myself at uni, i think i can but at the same time it feels so soon and im not sure if i'm ready... as for my year out i think i'd get a full time job and get money, always useful as i'll be away for 4 years.
thanks for reply :smile:
Badgercity
Hehe! yeah i know, that's whats so scary... i don't know if i can see myself at uni, i think i can but at the same time it feels so soon and im not sure if i'm ready... as for my year out i think i'd get a full time job and get money, always useful as i'll be away for 4 years.
thanks for reply :smile:

If I were in your position i'd be thinking, "Urgh - 40 hours a week in the same job for a whole year..!"
That'd make my mind up for me!
M@255
I wish I had applied for deferred entry if I'm honest. I recently had the opportunity to go on what could have been an excellent GAP in Tanzania. My parents suggested and even encouraged a reapplication to university for 2006, but in the end I decided it was better to just crack on and get going with it. Shame though.

Sounds swanky.
If I were to go on a gap year, i'd probably head off to a ski resort to get a job of some sort in germany/austria/switzerland as I will be learning the lang at uni anyway, and skiing rocks!
Reply 5
M@255
I wish I had applied for deferred entry if I'm honest. I recently had the opportunity to go on what could have been an excellent GAP in Tanzania. My parents suggested and even encouraged a reapplication to university for 2006, but in the end I decided it was better to just crack on and get going with it. Shame though.

Yeah, I was pretty much set on going straight to Glasgow but then i did some retakes and improved my grades so my dad asked if i was going to reapply to cardiff... totally confused me and now i don't know what to do! At the moment i'm pushing more toward taking a year out (if the uni will let me) and maybe work for 6 months and then travel a little bit?!
Reply 6
I have a lot of friends who have taken gap years and they all say it was the best decision they made - even those who just worked in a fairly mundane job for a year. They say it gives you a chance to mature. This I can believe. When I look back on how I was this time last year it's almost unbelievable how much I have changed. I took the advice of my friends and I'm going to take a gap next year (I should be working for MSD for a year as part of the Year in Industry scheme). Good luck with your decision! :smile:
Reply 7
afireinside©
If I were in your position i'd be thinking, "Urgh - 40 hours a week in the same job for a whole year..!"
That'd make my mind up for me!

but noone's saying you have to do the same job for a whole year anyway!

if you're unsure - take a gap year. there's no way you'd regret it, but it's possible you'd regret not doing it.

you'll gain experience, money, you'll mature, and it's not like you're not going to uni - you will be there, just a year later (which means you can also put off getting a real job!)

you can do a bit of travelling here and there (i'm working on my gap year but have been to venice and dublin and am going to eastern europe in the summer, whilst still saving money)

i'm sure the university will support your decision to defer too, just email them.

if you want to get a job, i'd suggest starting to look now as my friends who left it til september foudn it much harder to sort one out. you could always sign on with a temping agency for a bit to do a variety of jobs and see what you like.

go for it!
Reply 8
Aww thankyou everyone :smile: I'd give out rep but i don't think it'd be worth anything! I've emailed the admin staff person at Glasgow and enquired about defering so i'll let ya'll know what i hear!
Thankyou again xxx

Latest