The Student Room Group

Getting on with the 18/19 year olds

I genuinely dont have a problem with this :confused: However these is another mature student on my course who I am friendly with who constantly talks down to me. She asks me what I am doing tonight and I say I am going to a bar with some people. She says what sort of bar. I say student bar and she goes "oh I could never do that" and kind of turns her nose up at me. She is only 3 years older than me

Before I came I thought it would be pretty damn awkward trying to find something to say to the teenagers but generally I get along with them and go out with them with no issues whatsoever. Yeah I go to the student bars/clubs etc because I think why not since I can no longer afford to go to the swanky nightclubs where they charge you £4.50 for a glass of orange juice

Now it is not that I am immature in any sense of the word, my closest friends range from age 21 to age 45 both males and females

I am just not sure what the problem is
Reply 1
There isnt a problem! Im 20, and my main friends on my course are 18, 21, 30, 39, and 62!
Just because the mature student in concern seems to have a problem, doesn't mean you should.
Sounds like its her problem, not yours, ignore it. If you get on with people who cares how old they are? Im 19 (20 in June) and a good few of my friends are in their early-mid twenties. They dont particularly look down on me (not that I notice anyway) because tbh there's not much difference in the mind-set between a 19 year old and a 25 year old - IMO anyway. You all obviously have a common interest i.e. whatever you're studying so its natural that you'll get on
Reply 3
Meh, it's their own problem. I'm 16, and some of my best friends are 18, 23, 27 and 64 (she's ******* cool)
I'm sure that if you introduced them to your 18-19 year old friends, they would get along.
Reply 4
Danielle89
Sounds like its her problem, not yours, ignore it. If you get on with people who cares how old they are? Im 19 (20 in June) and a good few of my friends are in their early-mid twenties. They dont particularly look down on me (not that I notice anyway) because tbh there's not much difference in the mind-set between a 19 year old and a 25 year old - IMO anyway. You all obviously have a common interest i.e. whatever you're studying so its natural that you'll get on

Well I am 27. I dont have that many good friends on my course apart from this woman. All my friends have been from societies, volunteering and friends of other friends (I chose not to move into halls to keep my sanity in check)

I just thought there would be a big difference. However when I was 19 I was pretty naive and innocent so I guess it was just me :redface:
Hrm, well there's a couple of the guys on my course who are about your age and they dont appear to look down on us young-uns. When I first arrived here I barely had any friends my own age, let alone friends 4/5 years older than me, but then halfway through first year I sort of realised that most of the people I was speaking to were in their mid-twenties and had degrees already lol.

I genuinely dont think about age when I talk to people now if i know them because its just not relevant. If I did think about it I'd probably get quite insecure cos I'd have to think about what I was saying and stop myself being childish and immature lol
Reply 6
im 20 - the youngest in my class.....

the other who some are 30 - are the ones who go out more than me :tongue:

im not into nightclubs - more pubs :smile:

i get on really well with the older people on my course (people older than 30!), more so than younger people than mysefl tbh!
Reply 7
She sounds like a bitch, she should be humbling herself in front of the 18 year old students as they are doing what she couldn't. That being studying for a degree at the proper age. Stay away from her.
Reply 8
S.C.M.
She sounds like a bitch, she should be humbling herself in front of the 18 year old students as they are doing what she couldn't. That being studying for a degree at the proper age. Stay away from her.

:lolwut:
Reply 9
S.C.M.

Wow, that is ironically a really immature concept!

There's no need to have such a bad attitude against older students. Some people have other commitments in life and University is not something top on everyone's agenda as a teenager. You must know people of 18 who chose NOT to go to University? Are you inferring they should never bother later in life?

Back to the real debate: I think she just lacks confidence. It's hard being older surrounded by younger individuals. Student bars can be intimidating when you don't feel you fit. It's really easy to get self-conscious as you get older in a younger person's domain, especially where they might be pretty dismissive or aggressive towards you (see the above quote!), so it's not surprising she dismisses it first with a 'I couldn't do that.'

I'm only 26 and have been working up the career ladder until I got to a point where I couldn't go higher without a Master's degree. But even going back to Uni now worries me. Not because of my attitude to 18 year olds, but because I worry about their attitudes towards me without even knowing who I am first. I was never really into pubs and clubs ever either; money will be tight, and I'm also not fresh out of college so I think I need longer with my books to refresh my mind.

Her attitude might be off, but I expect it's just her "cool" way of showing she would rather be focusing on studies/family/finances. Don't exclude her an invite, but don't worry if she's not interested either. Each to their own.
Reply 10
I find some of my coursemates incredibly immature, but I'm their age. But I don't think it's necesserily to do with the age, its just the characters of some people. I don't see that age should make any difference, it's the person.
I will be 20 when I start uni I worry I might not be able to relate to 18 year olds *as much* :biggrin: because I left school 18 months ago and they might still be on about it and, erm, I've forgotten/moved on from school in general :biggrin: it's just not in my mind any more (probably a natural thing considering I'm not there any more!)

Latest

Trending

Trending