The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

If her claims are true then that's frekin' terrible!

It's not just a but of racist name-calling but the college intentionally failing her in her final year - though I must admit Kings may well have some good reasons for their actions, the article is all one-sided.
Reply 2
gkt is one of the most diverse places to study, i have mates who knew this person and her grades sucked so she played the race card.
Reply 3
"If she fails to qualify from the course, she is expected to sue at the High Court for further compensation."

That implies she is still actually a student currently re-sitting her finals. What a situation for the medical school to find itself in - a finalist in the National press threatening to sue them again if they fail her. In my opinion she should be disqualified from re-sitting her finals until a judgement of the initial charge is made. We cannot allow medical finals (or finals in any subject for that matter) to be potentially prejudiced in this way with candidates in affect blackmailing the examiners.

As for the rest of her claims - the courts will decide. However, it is slightly inconsistent that a medical school admitted her on a widening access course passed her for the first five years of the course and then suddenly thought "oh she is black" when sitting her finals and "therefore we should fail her."

Her claim that "the college appears to be continuing actively to take steps to ensure that I fail my course" shows a tremendous sense of self-importance. The idea that the Medical School would be that pre-occupied with one student is somewhat absurd to me.

The NHS is a huge institution and of course there are unfortunately bound to be racist people working within it. The idea that it is "institutionally racist" is in my eyes ridiculous.

If she has been victimized because of her race then that is outrageous and she is right of course to pursue it. Unfortunately, I just find that slightly unbelievable.
Reply 4
I dont beleive it, maybe they said that the black nurses in the hospital werent fun, but maybe they werent? thats doesnt make all black nurses not fun...
this is rediculous.
i think shes just after money because she knows she'd fail medical school.
KCL? Of all the med schools, I'm suprised. I thought this would be one with a pretty cosmopolitan atmosphere anyway..
there is something wrong with this article

perhaps she has suffered racist abuse, and that is one thing, but she is then alleging she was deliberately failed

I always thought papers were anonymously marked etc, so claimng that racist examiners may have been out to get her is another thing completely, and is unfounded I wonder if she could suffer punitive measures in court?
Reply 7
prudentstudent
I thought this would be one with a pretty cosmopolitan atmosphere anyway..
GKT is diverse - if by diverse you mean a mix of british (south-east) asians and white british.
I'd put my bank balance on this not being true :smile:
Reply 9
BigBadSaint
there is something wrong with this article

perhaps she has suffered racist abuse, and that is one thing, but she is then alleging she was deliberately failed

I always thought papers were anonymously marked etc, so claimng that racist examiners may have been out to get her is another thing completely, and is unfounded I wonder if she could suffer punitive measures in court?

Perhaps she failed Clinical exams where the examiners could see her?
Reply 10
Things like Medicine though are just so competitive (and hard work), and this might reflect some of the attitudes amongst those studying it, and going by some of the Medics I've met it doesn't really surprise me although I am surprised that it is racism in this case, especially at King's where it's diverse anyway! Having said that a friend is a Medic and he's a really nice guy. But yeah.
This doesnt surprise me at all there are some medics i know who shouldnt even be allowed to study medicine with the sort of activities they do or things they say
Reply 12
She said students on that course had to wear a special badge, which led to them being bullied by counterparts on the regular five year degree programme.

That can't be right? Seems similar to Nazi Germany and the armbands for Jews.
Reply 13
Someone's bitter about failing finals.....
yet another Rita Pal/ Sushant Varma is it 'cos i is black' muppet ...

forgetting that the vast majority of such problems were resolved back i nthe day

the 'different badge' thing is just a smokescreen,
She said students on that course had to wear a special badge,

What the **** were GKT thinking? Surely that's just asking for the resident snobs to bully people.
KING'S being an institutionally racist medschool? :rofl:

Looks like someone's trying to play the race card.
Reply 17
Democracy
What the **** were GKT thinking? Surely that's just asking for the resident snobs to bully people.

Surely it would just be a University card saying something along the lines of "medicine - 6 year course student".
Ataloss
Surely it would just be a University card saying something along the lines of "medicine - 6 year course student".

Oh, I thought due to the way the paper had written it, it would be something really obvious (and humiliating). My bad.

Even still, I dunno, there are definitely people I know at uni who would use the oppurtunity to have a go at someone for being on a longer course.

In terms of her case, obviously if it's true it's really terrible and the university should compensate her, and if possible allow her to resit her final year, but £300000 seems sort of...excessive?
Reply 19
Ataloss
Exactly.

However, I hear rumblings that the course itself isn't that popular within GKT - a lot of them think it's ridiculous (and that's, at least partly, been justified by the results).

Latest

Trending

Trending