The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well if you love being abroad that much maybe, I went on a gap year and still wanted to go uni though, and I have dozens of friends who took years out
If you die, yes. But aye it may do. A lot can happen over a year, not only outside events but also your mindset.
Reply 3
Yes it can!! hence I am now on my second gap year...
Little story for you... I couldn't go to uni on account of visa/fee issues and had to have a double gap year. Studying and going to uni was my biggest dream back then and it was very difficult to get used to the thought of waiting.

However I loved my gap year and found myself questioning whether to go uni!! I did go (I owed it to the little girl I was and to the woman I am hoping to become). Worked out amazing though - my boss has asked me to work for them part time. I am enjoying uni but being able to work is half the pleasure. Gap year will change your mindset; grades mean little to me these days and studying is not the biggest thing in my life anymore - and I am very pleased with this.

Deffinitely recommend a year out (never thought I'd say this, after all the tears and panic!)
I applied to University when I was still in school, but with deferred entry. I got a place at a Drama School in London which at the time I thought was perfect, btu after my Gap Year realised it's not what I wanted.

I withdrew and went on another gap year, wanting to apply to Universities rather than Drama School. Now I have some FAB work experience, done some really memorable things, earnt my own money and am more excited about going to Uni next year than ever.

Taking a Gap Year definitley changes your mind set, and in my case, it's been for the better.
taking one has made me wish i had just gone straight to uni and not bothered with a gap year in the first place! oh well, not long to go now
Of course it can, if you decide you don't want to go anymore.
Im on my gap year currently and after coming home after travelling, I was half set to withdraw my place from uni. i think I just got used to the freedom and excitement. Now I've got back in the mindset of looking forward to uni because I do love studying Economics. But Im off travelling again and Im kind of afraid of going through the same process again of questioning.
Reply 9
Could do but i would most defiantly take the risk. If i never have to do another exam again i would be bloody happy!
Reply 10
Absinth
Just wanted to say, I'm surprised at the amount of people who've taken two gap years like me.

im on my second one right now! lol

and OP yes it can but not all the time

thats what buggs me when i tell people im on a gap year.. they automatically respond.. ahh so you're never going uni then?

Pssh.. Hopefully im going this september! if everthing goes to plan lol
Reply 11
didgeridoo12uk
taking one has made me wish i had just gone straight to uni and not bothered with a gap year in the first place! oh well, not long to go now

i totally feel you man.. i sometimes wish i just went straight to uni but i know all that has happened to me during my TWO years out is all for my own benefit lol.
I never knew id miss education as much as i do right now lol
Reply 12
I am on my gap year now, and have loved every minute. I have thought about not going to uni meeting some people who have made jobs overseas doing such cool things! but I have also been volunteering at an orphanage where kids would jump at the chances we have. also everyone that has been to uni (which is the majority of travellers) say they´re so jealous of me going to uni and they have to go and try and find jobs right now! I am now, as my gap year is coming to an end, am really excited about going to uni, especially since I´m going to be pretty depressed at being home in a months time!
I think being on a gap year does change your mindset and therefore yes you do question whether you´re going to uni just because that´s what we do as english people but at the same time university is going to be one of those other life experiences which will hopefully open up more opportunities. I also get another year abroad in my course which excites me!

Latest

Trending

Trending