The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Craghyrax
This emphasises my previous point. What about all the other people in your college who would like to stay fit, but have no need of coaches, boats, boatmen or a boathouse? Do they have to pay £10 for 8weeks of minimal fitness equipment only some of which they'd use?

Our college gym provides free unlimited fitness instruction including stuff like remedial therapy free of charge :dontknow:

!! no, there's a college gym too, llamaaa already described it!
Chewwy
!! no, there's a college gym too, llamaaa already described it!

Ah - that makes more sense :smile:
Reply 22
Also, boat clubs are open all year round (or at least ours is, 24/7 via card access). So it's not just for 24 weeks a year.

That said, there's a bit of disagreement going on in our college at the minute as our boat house is the only place with decent free weights - our college gym doesn't have a squat rack or bench - so all the rugby guys feel they should have the right to come down and use them too (even though the equipment was paid for by the old boy boaties, for the use of boaties).
Reply 23
Craghyrax
Our college gym provides free unlimited fitness instruction including stuff like remedial therapy free of charge :dontknow:

That does seem very good, actually.
Cantab
Also, boat clubs are open all year round (or at least ours is, 24/7 via card access). So it's not just for 24 weeks a year.

That said, there's a bit of disagreement going on in our college at the minute as our boat house is the only place with decent free weights - our college gym doesn't have a squat rack or bench - so all the rugby guys feel they should have the right to come down and use them too (even though the equipment was paid for by the old boy boaties, for the use of boaties).

Lol, it sounds like we should merge our college gyms.
Reply 25
The Trinity gym has:

2 concept IIs
2 cross-trainers
2 treadmills
2 stationary bikes
1 stair machine
1 weird climbing machine :tongue:

Machine with cables to weights (dunno what they're called, the kind you can adjust to do rowing, chest flies, whatever)
Dips station
Glute-ham-raise station (can also be used for crunches)
2 power cages
Lots of free weights including bumper plates
Dumbbells up to 50 kgs

15 pounds a year I think.. I love it :>

Core Cambridge is running our gym as well, it's nice I think, I used the injury service yesterday and they definitely know what they're doing. As for binning the leg press machine - if you only use the leg press machine you develop all kinds of muscle imbalances, if you ask your trainer to teach you how to squat you would be far better off :smile: I think Core Cambridge has the (good) policy that whatever can be done using free weights is best - especially (surprisingly maybe?) for people who dont exercise that much. So since there are people around to teach you the right technique then asking them to teach you a few of the big compound exercises is the best way to go.. and you wont turn into the incredible hulk if youre a girl and touch the free weights either :tongue:
If someone wants to write up Fenners here as well I'll close the other thread and we have all the info in one place :smile:
NilsJohan
As for binning the leg press machine - if you only use the leg press machine you develop all kinds of muscle imbalances, if you ask your trainer to teach you how to squat you would be far better off :smile: I think Core Cambridge has the (good) policy that whatever can be done using free weights is best - especially (surprisingly maybe?) for people who dont exercise that much. So since there are people around to teach you the right technique then asking them to teach you a few of the big compound exercises is the best way to go.. and you wont turn into the incredible hulk if youre a girl and touch the free weights either :tongue:

I'm sure they're very good, and have their own logic behind things, but it was just a bit inconvenient for me. The imbalance from the legpress doesn't really count for me because I cycle my socks off most days of the year, often setting the resistance very high for strength training. I'm familiar with squats, I just don't like them very much. I don't think I'm going to turn into the incredible hulk, and I frequently use free weights :dry:
All I'd like is a college gym which lets me choose my own exercise routine, and provides cardio equipment.
Reply 28
Craghyrax
I'm sure they're very good, and have their own logic behind things, but it was just a bit inconvenient for me. The imbalance from the legpress doesn't really count for me because I cycle my socks off most days of the year, often setting the resistance very high for strength training. I'm familiar with squats, I just don't like them very much. I don't think I'm going to turn into the incredible hulk, and I frequently use free weights :dry:
All I'd like is a college gym which lets me choose my own exercise routine, and provides cardio equipment.

Apologies - I see how that came off a bit too directed towards you. Was meant in more general terms really. Actually, the muscle imbalance I was speaking of was quads versus hamstrings - so both the leg press and the cycling are quad dominant. Say, low-bar squats or deadlifts are more hamstring oriented. For most people squats will be far superior to leg presses almost regardless of the goal of your training. Anyway, this is quite far off topic..

It sucks if you have no cardio equipment in your gym. But though I would agree that a good gym should have some variety of cardio equipment, I'd argue the main function of a gym is to have good free weights, rather than a variety of cardio equipment as cardio is something most people can do fine without a machine.
NilsJohan
Apologies - I see how that came off a bit too directed towards you. Was meant in more general terms really. Actually, the muscle imbalance I was speaking of was quads versus hamstrings - so both the leg press and the cycling are quad dominant. Say, low-bar squats or deadlifts are more hamstring oriented. For most people squats will be far superior to leg presses almost regardless of the goal of your training. Anyway, this is quite far off topic..
No worries.
Loads of my friends are nagging me to use squats too, so I'll probably bite the bullet at some point.

NilsJohan
It sucks if you have no cardio equipment in your gym. But though I would agree that a good gym should have some variety of cardio equipment, I'd argue the main function of a gym is to have good free weights, rather than a variety of cardio equipment as cardio is something most people can do fine without a machine.

I'm sure you're right, but both is still better than one or the other :puppyeyes: At the moment I do resistance training in college, but have to go to Fenners each time I want to do cardio.
Reply 30
Craghyrax
No worries.
Loads of my friends are nagging me to use squats too, so I'll probably bite the bullet at some point.

Haha, yeah, go for it - it's the one exercise everyone should do.

I'm sure you're right, but both is still better than one or the other :puppyeyes: At the moment I do resistance training in college, but have to go to Fenners each time I want to do cardio.

Can definitely see how that's a pain..
Reply 31
Robinson has a weights room, which is equipped as it sounds. It's free but you have to go through an induction. I think it was at some point associated with the power-lifting club so there is an assortment of free weights beyond what most people can roll across the floor (imo). It also has three machines, some leg thing, a lat machine and a pec machine.

Robinson doesn't have much. I think the boathouse possibly has a couple of ergs but if you're going a distance for gym equipment you might as well go to Fenners.

Latest

Trending

Trending