The Student Room Group

Would wanting to take a gap year decrease my chances of getting into medical school?

I'm wanting to take a gap year for travelling mainly. And i want to go into medicine. Though i am not sure, whether taking one will be looked down upon... I'm thinking of going to sheffield, leeds, nottingham, which are quite competitive.

I could not write it on my ucas application, and then ask for the offer if i get one , to be deterred . But then i have heard taking one could support my application form. I don't know :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pyropink
I'm wanting to take a gap year for travelling mainly. And i want to go into medicine. Though i am not sure, whether taking one will be looked down upon... I'm thinking of going to sheffield, leeds, nottingham, which are quite competitive.

I could not write it on my ucas application, and then ask for the offer if i get one , to be deterred . But then i have heard taking one could support my application form. I don't know

Generally medical shcools don't mind gap years providing you use them constructively (getting more experience in healthcare environments etc).

If you are planning on applying before the gap year, then apply for deferred entry at the start, don't wait til you get interviews/offers and add a sentence or two about your gap year plans to your personal statement.

N.B. ALL medical schools are competitive!
Reply 2
Hygeia
Generally medical shcools don't mind gap years providing you use them constructively (getting more experience in healthcare environments etc).

If you are planning on applying before the gap year, then apply for deferred entry at the start, don't wait til you get interviews/offers and add a sentence or two about your gap year plans to your personal statement.

N.B. ALL medical schools are competitive!

But what if i was to get the offers, and then ask for a deferred entry? Are they likely to listen?

I'm just scared that if i tell them beforehand it may be harder for me to get in, like may ask more harder questions or get put off. Cause tbh i'm just gonna travel around places, and not really do anything too productive
Shouldn't be an issue at all. Someone I went to college with got some experience at the hospital and local surgery then spent this past year selling furniture at house of fraser making quite a bit of commission in the process.
Reply 4

I could not write it on my ucas application, and then ask for the offer if i get one , to be deterred . But then i have heard taking one could support my application form. I don't know :confused:
Reply 5
Not at all. I know loads of medics (inc myself) who took gap years
Reply 6
Pyropink
But what if i was to get the offers, and then ask for a deferred entry? Are they likely to listen?

NO. You have to apply and ask for deferred entry at the start. The only way they might consider letting you after giving an offer would be in extenuating circumstances. (as far as I know)

I'm just scared that if i tell them beforehand it may be harder for me to get in, like may ask more harder questions or get put off. Cause tbh i'm just gonna travel around places, and not really do anything too productive

Just throw in a couple of weeks work experience somewhere and they shouldn't mind if you do lots of travelling as well.
The only way to know for sure what they'd think would be to ring/e-mail some of them and ask.
Reply 7
The schools want you to do gap years and go off to do exciting things - they don't want another ******* schoolkid. They'll accept it provided you have plans to do something at least a little worthwhile.
Reply 8
Pyropink

Some of them encourage gap years.
Reply 9
Gap years are good and bad.
CHEM1STRY
Gap years are good and bad.

How are they bad? I am so glad I took a gap year and feel it has been strongly advantageous to me and I gained lots of experience, learned a great deal, made friends, contacts and have a job which I can go back to. Plus I earned a little bit of money to help me through med school. The loans don't cover the basics :frown:

I have absolutely no regrets about taking a gap year...though it did make me less excited and more cynical about medicine than I would have been had I gone straight from school

The only 'bad' thing (if you can call it bad) is that I am slightly older than my peers...and some of the second...and third years!

(In Scotland they finish school a year earlier than in England)
zdo0o
if you apply for normal (non-deferred) entry, and you get an offer, can you then defer it afterwards?

Not normally, perhaps if there are special circumstances
Pyropink
I'm thinking of going to sheffield, leeds, nottingham, which are quite competitive.

:

Nb. ALL UK medical schools are competetive
Reply 13
Baki
Some of them encourage gap years.

which??:smile:
HiBear

St Andrews sure seems to have a good proportion of gappers. Though I don't know whether it prefers them
Reply 15
HiBear

UCL
Reply 16
Baki
UCL

i cbf to do bmat again...

Spoiler

Reply 17
zdo0o
if you apply for normal (non-deferred) entry, and you get an offer, can you then defer it afterwards?
You probably can, but why would you want to? :confused:
Reply 18
zdo0o
if you change your mind? i now feel maybe a gap year would be good for me, but if i can't change it then i don't mind either :smile:
Make up your mind then...
HiBear

A friend of mine at Barts said the large amount of people there were gappers :p:

Barts FTW :woo:

Latest

Trending

Trending