The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bezzler
Exactly.

Also, looking at your profile, it says you play viola. You'll definitely be welcomed into the flourishing new Fidelio Orchestra, the joint orchestra of Merton and University Colleges, if you come to Merton :biggrin:

Why thank you... although let's not count chickens. And you never know, perhaps the 2011 intake will all be virtuoso violists. :biggrin:
Hi everyone, I'm an international student soon to enroll an ivy league school in the US but am considering applying for PPE at Oxford for after my freshman year. For as much as Oxford is Oxford, it does seem like personalities across colleges vary. I'd appreciate any advice on colleges that a student of this profile:
- Politically ambitious (As a PPEist, both for the atmosphere and conversation, as well as the networking possibilities. I'm also interested in debate and the Oxford Union. Which college is known to be the great breeding ground of future Prime Ministers, in Britain and abroad?)
- Academic (both in the focus on work and the seriousness. I love politics, but am not the type to go out to drink and party -- although if the college is friendly I may well be encouraged to learn :wink: Just intimidated at too much of a party environment)
- International (re-emphasizing the aforementioned point on networking, as well as adjusting to British culture -- I come from a non-Commonwealth country. In addition, a history of educating foreign politicians, prestige aside, must say a lot about the college?)

Reading about foreign politicians educated at Oxford, most seem to be split among Christ Church (Bilawal Bhutto), St. John's (Thai PM Abhissit Vejjajiva) and Magdalen. Are ChCh and Magdalen too social/into drinking/partying for a slightly uptight international to thrive in? Are any particularly renowned in PPE, and in hosting international students? Among these and others, which colleges come to mind? Thanks! :smile:
well...there is always good ol' braesnose college.....:holmes:
Original post by desertfox
Hi everyone, I'm an international student soon to enroll an ivy league school in the US but am considering applying for PPE at Oxford for after my freshman year. For as much as Oxford is Oxford, it does seem like personalities across colleges vary. I'd appreciate any advice on colleges that a student of this profile:
- Politically ambitious (As a PPEist, both for the atmosphere and conversation, as well as the networking possibilities. I'm also interested in debate and the Oxford Union. Which college is known to be the great breeding ground of future Prime Ministers, in Britain and abroad?)
- Academic (both in the focus on work and the seriousness. I love politics, but am not the type to go out to drink and party -- although if the college is friendly I may well be encouraged to learn :wink: Just intimidated at too much of a party environment)
- International (re-emphasizing the aforementioned point on networking, as well as adjusting to British culture -- I come from a non-Commonwealth country. In addition, a history of educating foreign politicians, prestige aside, must say a lot about the college?)

Reading about foreign politicians educated at Oxford, most seem to be split among Christ Church (Bilawal Bhutto), St. John's (Thai PM Abhissit Vejjajiva) and Magdalen. Are ChCh and Magdalen too social/into drinking/partying for a slightly uptight international to thrive in? Are any particularly renowned in PPE, and in hosting international students? Among these and others, which colleges come to mind? Thanks! :smile:

balliol and christ church are particularly active colleges in student politics.
Reply 1784

Sounds like you're describing Balliol to me.
Thanks for this!!!
Original post by Bezzler
Sounds like you're describing Balliol to me.

I was eyeing Balliol for the longest time because it does have the reputation for being political, but was turned off by its equal reputation of being a social, partying/drinking college? Not a bad thing, but for someone like me, I worry that I may be left out. Moreover, it is a left-leaning college after all, isn't it? So if I'm not mistaken, the politically inclined who do go there are less likely to be politicians inside the system than political activists on the outside (albeit brilliant ones!) -- apologies if that sounds wrong. In that sense, for someone more stuck-up and interested in meeting aspiring politicians of a more traditional mold, would Magdalen, Christ Church or St. John's be better picks? And of those, how can you really choose!?

Though there might be something to be said about PPEists being in a lot of each other's company at Balliol, with things like the Cerberus society adding to the experience. Is the experience of a PPEist and Balliol any different than that in colleges like Magdalen, Christ Church or St. John's?
Reply 1787
I was eyeing Balliol for the longest time because it does have the reputation for being political, but was turned off by its equal reputation of being a social, partying/drinking college? Not a bad thing, but for someone like me, I worry that I may be left out. Moreover, it is a left-leaning college after all, isn't it? So if I'm not mistaken, the politically inclined who do go there are less likely to be politicians inside the system than political activists on the outside (albeit brilliant ones!) -- apologies if that sounds wrong. In that sense, for someone more stuck-up and interested in meeting aspiring politicians of a more traditional mold, would Magdalen, Christ Church or St. John's be better picks? And of those, how can you really choose!?

Though there might be something to be said about PPEists being in a lot of each other's company at Balliol, with things like the Cerberus society adding to the experience. Is the experience of a PPEist and Balliol any different than that in colleges like Magdalen, Christ Church or St. John's?

I don't think people's experiences will vary that much between colleges; at least, not in any predictable fashion. Most of how much you go out etc will be determined by people in your year, which is obviously a completely unknown quantity! Also, while it's generally relatively left-leaning, it's not quite like Wadham, I don't think. At any rate, such stereotypes are just that - not all people at Balliol will be left wing, or party animals, or anything, and at any college you'll find people you've got things in common with.
With regards to Worcester vs. Merton for Maths:

Worcester's bar, grounds, and iirc food are nicer than Merton's, although Merton's chapel is nicer.
Also, a couple of the first year maths lecturers are tutors at Worcester, Robin Knight and Richard Earl.

You may think i'm biased but the Worcester in my name is because i live in Worcestershire, I don't go to either college. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by WorcesterSevern

Worcester's bar, grounds, and iirc food are nicer than Merton's, although Merton's chapel is nicer.
Also, a couple of the first year maths lecturers are tutors at Worcester, Robin Knight and Richard Earl.

You may think i'm biased but the Worcester in my name is because i live in Worcestershire, I don't go to either college. :smile:

Thanks for the reply! :smile: Food sounds important, I don't suppose you'd be able to elaborate? And wouldn't the first year lecturers change from year to year? (I don't really know, but I'd imagine that first year lectures aren't something anyone particularly wants to take, and it would get rotated around the department?)
Thanks!
Reply 1790

You totally live in the West Midlands, not Worcestershire.

Also, Worcester's buildings aren't as nice imho - I don't like the front quad thing in Worcester, though I'll concede the lake is nice. And Merton's food totally rocks. And a lecturer being a tutor at your college is a *disadvantage* because then they'll notice if you're not at the lecture. If the lecturer doesn't know you then you can skive the lecture.
Hi, which is the best/highest achieving college at Oxford for studying Law with Spanish Law (Law With Law Studies in Europe)???

Any help would be much appreciated :eek:
Original post by superash94
Hi, which is the best/highest achieving college at Oxford for studying Law with Spanish Law (Law With Law Studies in Europe)???

Imo it's impossible to pick one out as the best, or as consistently achieving most strongly; many colleges are very good for law. Also, at the end of the day it is of course up to you what you make of the degree so other factors should come into it too - what else is important to you in a college?
Original post by superash94

This kind of data is not published. The closest is the Norrington table, which is for all subjects and fails to consider a number of factors. I'd suggest looking for other criteria. Bear in mind most teaching is either by the central department or (moreso) self-motivated.
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Thanks for the reply! :smile: Food sounds important, I don't suppose you'd be able to elaborate? And wouldn't the first year lecturers change from year to year? (I don't really know, but I'd imagine that first year lectures aren't something anyone particularly wants to take, and it would get rotated around the department?)
Thanks!

Err...well I was interviewed at Worcester and loved the food, and had formal at merton, and thought it was pretty good, but Worcester's was better. Erm...the 1st year lecturers change from time to time, but i believe they were the same this year as last.

Original post by Bezzler

Also, Worcester's buildings aren't as nice imho - I don't like the front quad thing in Worcester, though I'll concede the lake is nice. And Merton's food totally rocks. And a lecturer being a tutor at your college is a *disadvantage* because then they'll notice if you're not at the lecture. If the lecturer doesn't know you then you can skive the lecture.

Worcester's buildings and front quad are far more beautiful. Merton doesn't even have grass in its front quad. And it's not a disadvantage for maths, because there's no way a lecturer will notice if you're not one of the 200 odd faces in a lecture.
Reply 1795
Err...well I was interviewed at Worcester and loved the food, and had formal at merton, and thought it was pretty good, but Worcester's was better. Erm...the 1st year lecturers change from time to time, but i believe they were the same this year as last.

Worcester's buildings and front quad are far more beautiful. Merton doesn't even have grass in its front quad. And it's not a disadvantage for maths, because there's no way a lecturer will notice if you're not one of the 200 odd faces in a lecture.

Look who's getting invited back for another formal at Merton then...
Reply 1796
Original post by Bezzler

Each to their own I guess, and I will admit I'm biased, but I think Worcester's quad is the most spectacular in the university. Mainly because of the openness of a three-sided quad (intended by the architect) and the contrast in the age of the buildings (very much unintended).
Reply 1797
Original post by RichE
Each to their own I guess, and I will admit I'm biased, but I think Worcester's quad is the most spectacular in the university. Mainly because of the openness of a three-sided quad (intended by the architect) and the contrast in the age of the buildings (very much unintended).

There's something very...flat, and slightly odd about it, that makes me feel slightly disoriented. I don't know.
Reply 1798

They will if they're looking for you.

(P.S. I like the ambiguity of 200 odd mathmos.)
I'm applying for undergraduate. I need a FRIENDLY atmosphere where I can meet alot of new friends, preferably more males to female ratio. Maybe even next to a few good clubs or places to chill at? Not too stressing.

Any recommendations would be great, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending