The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
deldongo
I guess that competition must be tough to get a parking permit, but if I am to bring a car next year is it more advisable to look for a private accommodation which includes a parking space?

You'll struggle to find private accommodation in the city centre which comes with a parking space. The majority of the city is permit parked and a city permit is much more expensive than one from the university. There are also more city permits than there are parking spaces whereas the university ones are limited to the number of spaces, so you are guaranteed a space.

I've never come across any university accommodation that has a full car park, maybe 3-4 people out of an accommodation block of 100 bring a car and that would be my maximum estimate.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Ditto artorscience? You should be fine, I think there were 6 out of 90 who had cars when I was in 1st year. Those who did quickly became popular owing to the joys of ASDA. As for later years, It'd be a small miracle to find private accomm with an allocated parking spot, most people pay for a city centre parking permit which comes in one of a number of "zones" (Uni district is in zone 3) and that allows you to park in certain areas (not a lot of on-street parking at the best of times) in an area in your zone. It's supposed to be a bit of a nightmare - I have a friend who doesn't take her car out during weekdays as she knows she'll lose her spot or any near it!
Reply 3
Is there any parking at pollock anymore?
Rian1988
Is there any parking at pollock any more?

It only isn't available this year because of the building work, so provided that's finished for the next academic year it should be returned.
Reply 5
artorscience?
It only isn't available this year because of the building work, so provided that's finished for the next academic year it should be returned.

Orite I thought the new building might have gone over the car park or something.
Rian1988
Orite I thought the new building might have gone over the car park or something.

Well reading between the lines and such on this: PDF on Parking Permits

Nothing's certain given that they're not releasing details for next year. But they don't say outright that all parking has been removed (and they need the parking to offer to conference/summer/etc. visitors who are likely to pick where they stay on the basis of parking and from whom they can make lots of money, so it doesn't make financial sense for them to build over it all - these are just my thoughts on the matter though)

Latest

Trending

Trending