The Student Room Group

UC Berkeley vs. Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
devil09

Er, I don't know if I'd call $47,194 "really cheap" (the 08/09 COA).

From what ive heard it's $14,769.75 for out-of-state students. That's cheaper than what overseas studentsa have to pay for KCL (which is the cheapest out of the 4 biggest london colleges): £12,020 ($17,211.1)

Remember tuition fees for all the private unis in the states are over $30,000. Compared to that, Berkeley is really cheap as well, since it's public and not private.
Reply 21
xinolisss
Sorry should've posted this here instead...

I'm slightly stuck in a dilemma with the unis...

Never thought I'd get accepted anywhere, but apparently I got into UC Berkeley in the US...

I've also got into Cambridge in the UK...

Any opinions?

I think with these two offers it really depends on location. Living in America will be cheaper but not really by all that much and you have to consider the cost of flights between Spain and America each time you want to go home. And importantly you've got to decide whether you want to live in an old English town which is quite a long way from anywhere or in a large American city. Personally I'd go with Berkley just because I'd love to live in the windy city. Academically both are great.
Reply 22
Cambridge if you want a high flying career as a respected engineer and no problems getting a job, Berkley if you want to have an amazing time.
Reply 23
jy9626
From what ive heard it's $14,769.75 for out-of-state students. That's cheaper than what overseas studentsa have to pay for KCL (which is the cheapest out of the 4 biggest london colleges): £12,020 ($17,211.1)

Remember tuition fees for all the private unis in the states are over $30,000. Compared to that, Berkeley is really cheap as well, since it's public and not private.

14,769 per semester I heard, each year comprised by 2 semesters, that makes 28000 plus t he rest of the crap too...
Reply 24
xinolisss
14,769 per semester I heard, each year comprised by 2 semesters, that makes 28000 plus t he rest of the crap too...

Brown's fee for entire 2007-08 (2 semeters) was $47,476.
Much cheaper than that? right?
Reply 25
jy9626
Brown's fee for entire 2007-08 (2 semeters) was $47,476.
Much cheaper than that? right?

How do you mean?

I mean even Berkeley as a public school makes us pay much more than what I'd have to pay at Cambridge...
Reply 26
Berkeley, as I said before.
Reply 27
xinolisss
How do you mean?

I mean even Berkeley as a public school makes us pay much more than what I'd have to pay at Cambridge...

I was mistaken. Then I'd modifiy my previous argument.
In terms of fees, private us unis > public us unis > public uk unis(almost all uk unis are public anyway).
I was thinking and regretting i should've applied to berkeley for its cheaper than kcl or warwick. I didn't know that 14770 was per semester. i was wrong i guess. but now i feel better at least.
Reply 28
If you are in the EU doesn't that make Cambridge *really* cheap? Personally I think with that cost it's going to be really difficult to beat any American institution *provided that you have to pay the full cost at the latter*. You can always come here to work/for grad studies and without a whole lot of debt to top it off.
Reply 29
jy9626

WRONG. Very, very, very wrong.

You're only bothering to look at tuition. You must also look at housing, board, fees, etc.

Berkeley is as expensive as most elite privates (e.g. Brown).
Reply 30
devil09
WRONG. Very, very, very wrong.

You're only bothering to look at tuition. You must also look at housing, board, fees, etc.

Berkeley is as expensive as most elite privates (e.g. Brown).

Since this is coming from a person who's going to study at Duke next year, Im going to admit i was wrong. You must have done more research on this issue than i did. so...
Reply 31
jy9626
Since this is coming from a person who's going to study at Duke next year, Im going to admit i was wrong. You must have done more research on this issue than i did. so...

LOL. No, just someone who's overly interested in college and the admissions process.

I'm actually graduating from Duke in May. Alas, I wish I had four more years here!!
Reply 32
As a current US student, I can tell you that Cambridge and UC Berkeley are both FANTASTIC schools, and roughly equal in terms of international rankings. While it's not "Ivy League" (the term actually refers to a sports conference from schools in the Northeast, it just so happens that they are all academically outstanding private universities), Berkeley is undoubtedly the best public university in the United States, and is ranked higher internationally and domestically than most of the members of the Ivy League.

UC Berkeley is also in one of the most desirable and beautiful (if expensive) areas in the US: the San Francisco Bay area.

You would receive a world-class education at either university, however, being inclined to international study myself (I'll be attending the University of Edinburgh this coming year), I would recommend you experience another culture in the US and come to UC Berkeley if you can afford it.

Also, as a word of caution, don't put too much faith in rankings. Most of them aggregate based on research, which only affects the postgraduate level, and certainly wouldn't affect your undergraduate education or the quality of instruction you would receive at any university. Especially with UC Berkeley and Cambridge, the difference in academic quality is really nonexistent. Go for the school that YOU feel most happy with.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Reply 33
oceanic156
As a current US student, I can tell you that Cambridge and UC Berkeley are both FANTASTIC schools, and roughly equal in terms of international rankings. While it's not "Ivy League" (the term actually refers to a sports conference from schools in the Northeast, it just so happens that they are all academically outstanding private universities), Berkeley is undoubtedly the best public university in the United States, and is ranked higher internationally and domestically than most of the members of the Ivy League.

UC Berkeley is also in one of the most desirable and beautiful (if expensive) areas in the US: the San Francisco Bay area.

You would receive a world-class education at either university, however, being inclined to international study myself (I'll be attending the University of Edinburgh this coming year), I would recommend you experience another culture in the US and come to UC Berkeley if you can afford it.

Also, as a word of caution, don't put too much faith in rankings. Most of them aggregate based on research, which only affects the postgraduate level, and certainly wouldn't affect your undergraduate education or the quality of instruction you would receive at any university. Especially with UC Berkeley and Cambridge, the difference in academic quality is really nonexistent. Go for the school that YOU feel most happy with.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks for that mate...

I know I would like to come and experience the "American Dream" :biggrin: but well, it is just the case that I have never been able to see or visit for myself that I don't have a point of comparison... whereas I've been to Cambridge twice now.

I really don't mind the different cultures and stuff, the fact that I am already pretty much "internationalized" so as to say, so well, I think I'd try to join the Cambridge MIT exchange to come study in the US for a year....

But thank you anyways, there's also all sorts of convalidation problems, and freshman year isn't particularly attractive to me...
Reply 34
oceanic156
Berkeley is undoubtedly the best public university in the United States, and is ranked higher internationally and domestically than most of the members of the Ivy League.

...except that unlike the Ivies, Berkeley has a pitiful 60% four-year graduation rate because its large size prevents many students from getting into the courses they need to graduate.

It's low even by public university standards.

Berkeley 60%
Michigan 70%
UNC 75%
UVA 85%

Cambridge really is the obvious choice here. It's significantly cheaper and provides a much, much more personal education.
Reply 35
I had to make the same choice.

Cambridge is undoubtedly better for undergraduate. Berkeley is really good, but it is only really top-notch for graduate school. Its undergraduate classes are _huge_ and you'll find quite a lot of not-so-amazing people there (they have to take a certain percentage of applicants from California). In comparison, you get a very individual education at Cambridge, with the whole college and supervision system.

Go to Cambridge for undergraduate and to Berkeley for graduate school.
Reply 36
abless

Go to Cambridge for undergraduate and to Berkeley for graduate school.

I would recommend this as well.

The graduation rate doesn't necessarily reflect on the quality of the school, it reflects on state laws for admittance policies. For example, in Texas, the University of Texas at Austin is being overloaded with mediocre students they are legally forced to accept because of the "Top 10% of any public high school gets in" policy. Most of these students drop out quickly because they can't handle the intense course load. UT Austin, regardless, is a great school.

Also, I'm not sure where you got those graduation figures. I did a quick Google search and I was seeing undergraduate four-year graduation rates around 80% for UC Berkeley.

And, let's be honest here, no one could deny that UC Berkeley is a fantastic school, with great teaching quality. Whether it's marginally better or worse by a few points in a league table in terms of "prestige" than Cambridge is, IMO, worthless. I would still recommend that the TC go for whatever school he feels would provide him with the best education and the best experience- regardless of if its Berkeley or Cambridge.

I will also always wholeheartedly recommend international study, if at all possible, which is why I am urging the TC not to dismiss Berkeley if it's affordable and he can visit. Graduate school abroad is a more common option, however, and might be more sensible.
Reply 37
oceanic15
Also, I'm not sure where you got those graduation figures.

I got them from the Common Data Sets, which were filled out by the colleges themselves. They're by far the most reliable source of data about colleges.

The graduation rate doesn't necessarily reflect on the quality of the school, it reflects on state laws for admittance policies. For example, in Texas, the University of Texas at Austin is being overloaded with mediocre students they are legally forced to accept because of the "Top 10% of any public high school gets in" policy. Most of these students drop out quickly because they can't handle the intense course load. UT Austin, regardless, is a great school.

UT Austin is the exception, not the rule. Berkeley and the other UCs make a tremendous fuss about admitting only the most qualified students, hence the Prop 209 debate.
Reply 38
devil09
I got them from the Common Data Sets, which were filled out by the colleges themselves. They're by far the most reliable source of data about colleges.

UT Austin is the exception, not the rule. Berkeley and the other UCs make a tremendous fuss about admitting only the most qualified students, hence the Prop 209 debate.

Ah, I see. Had my facts mixed up then.
Leviathon
I think with these two offers it really depends on location. Living in America will be cheaper but not really by all that much and you have to consider the cost of flights between Spain and America each time you want to go home. And importantly you've got to decide whether you want to live in an old English town which is quite a long way from anywhere or in a large American city. Personally I'd go with Berkley just because I'd love to live in the windy city. Academically both are great.

It takes as long to get to San Francisco from Berkeley as it does to get to London from Cambridge. And the 'Windy City' is Chicago, not Berkeley, SF, or anywhere other than CHICAGO.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending