The Student Room Group

Oriental Studies at Cambridge

Hi everybody,

I am planing to apply to Cambridge next year for Oriental Studies. The problem however is; that eventhough I have looked into it; I still don't know at which college I should apply to for East Asien Oriental Studies; i.e. Japanese and Chinese. As there are not a lot of people taking subject normally gathering information is a bit difficult.

If anybody in this forum does oriental studies or knows about it please give me some suggestions. For example:
Which College is renowned for the subject?
Who has the best teachers (Opinion)?
etc...etc...

Thanks in advance

P.S. So far i thought Selwyn is a good choice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello :wink: I daresay I know you!
Reply 2
Why on earth do you want to take psychology...you want Mr C for a year :eek:
Hiya - I cant think off the top of my head of anyone I know at Selwyn who is reading oriental studies, but I'll hunt someone down and try and put them in touch with you when we go back if I can. Failing that do you have any specific questions for them?

Not that it matters much I'm sure - it really makes very little difference which college you apply to, unless the prestige in the name is particularly important to you... (which to me it isnt!)

Any general Selwyn related questions I'm happy to answer for you (to the best of my ability). Tis definitely a good choice of college! :wink:
Reply 4
As: ICT, Japanese (Selft taught) Psychology (maybe) or french
A-level: German, History, Economics and Maths

why are you doimg so many subjects.

Cut out ICT and psychologoy - why do u need them. They won't add to your applciaiton in any way.
Also cut out economics or history because you don't need two art subjects in there - its just extra work.

Do French, German, History or Economics Maths and Japanese for AS level

and then drop french (cos it seems you want to only do it till AS) and japanse.

For A level do German, Maths and one more subject (you don't need 4 A levels - jsut extra pressure)
Reply 5
yes you do know me :biggrin: !

Actually I was looking for you today because I wanted to tell you that I was able to get into thestudentroom.co.uk at home. But I guess these are belated news! Or of course you are sitting alone in the library now. j/k

Mr. C is not that bad but I will probably end up doing french next year though.

Hope to see you tomorrow, got some new gossip about Ms. Mc G!!! In short, Mrs. Z will try to organize that we won't have her at all next year!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 6
no i was home...been ill...I would do French, the language will complement your course...plus if you have Ms R, she'll help you ace it I heard the goss about McG...I felt like cringing...weird woman.

My recommended A Levels: Maths, Economics, History, German + AS French and Japanese...I happen to know your German abilities :wink:
Reply 7
zip it123
As: ICT, Japanese (Selft taught) Psychology (maybe) or french
A-level: German, History, Economics and Maths

why are you doimg so many subjects.

Cut out ICT and psychologoy - why do u need them. They won't add to your applciaiton in any way.
Also cut out economics or history because you don't need two art subjects in there - its just extra work.

Do French, German, History or Economics Maths and Japanese for AS level

and then drop french (cos it seems you want to only do it till AS) and japanse.

For A level do German, Maths and one more subject (you don't need 4 A levels - jsut extra pressure)

Yes you are correct to a certain degree. It is a lot of subjects I am taking BUT it is all already planned out. ICT I am dropping at the end of this year and I will probably replace it with a As in the coming year, purely just out of intrest.

Japanese and German are not really in the way of anything as both are just hobbies. Theoreticly I could have done my A-level in Japanese this year but due to some screw ups I had to delay it.

Are you sure I should drop one of the 2 Art subjects? For the course I am planning to do at Cambridge History and Economics are far more relevent to Oriental Studies than Maths. or am I wrong?
Reply 8
Technically, you don't need maths, but it would demonstrate a broad range of abilities, shows you are an all rounded student.
Reply 9
Doitsujin
Yes you are correct to a certain degree. It is a lot of subjects I am taking BUT it is all already planned out. ICT I am dropping at the end of this year and I will probably replace it with a As in the coming year, purely just out of intrest.

Japanese and German are not really in the way of anything as both are just hobbies. Theoreticly I could have done my A-level in Japanese this year but due to some screw ups I had to delay it.

Are you sure I should drop one of the 2 Art subjects? For the course I am planning to do at Cambridge History and Economics are far more relevent to Oriental Studies than Maths. or am I wrong?

wrong....i feel. MAths at least shows logical aiblity and all of that. To be honest i feel german and french and japanese and maths all at A level would be the best having dropped history or economics at AS level
Reply 10
minimo
no i was home...been ill...I would do French, the language will complement your course...plus if you have Ms R, she'll help you ace it I heard the goss about McG...I felt like cringing...weird woman.

My recommended A Levels: Maths, Economics, History, German + AS French and Japanese...I happen to know your German abilities :wink:

I actually started this thread to decide upon the college I should apply to; but now my A-level choices have all of a sudden become more important.....ANYWAY......I don;t think that at the moment I am doing too many mistakes, afterall I had some good advice from a trusted friend. *hint hint* :wink:

BTW I am Prefect!
Reply 11
also out of interst why selwyn?

its not one of those colleges that strikes out. I think queens is good for oreintal studies (a mate of mine applied and got rejected form there but he said that they have a large intake)
I agree with zip_it in a way - certainly about ICT. Its probably the least repsected qualification EVER. Most people nowadays are computer literate, and I hope I'm not being offensive to anyone but an A-Level in it is pretty much a waste of time full stop.

You should keep maths - it shows you can apply yourself well to non-arts subjects too (because maths is basically the most respected sciencey A-level other than further maths)
Reply 13
zip it123
wrong....i feel. MAths at least shows logical aiblity and all of that. To be honest i feel german and french and japanese and maths all at A level would be the best having dropped history or economics at AS level

Ok but at least one essay style course i think is essential. Especially as Oriental studies focuses on History, Politics and even economics on the chosen subject besides the language.
Hi,

There's a girl called haz on this forum who's boyfriend is a 3rd year chinese student (is in china at the moment) - You might be able to get some info through that route.

MB
Reply 15
Doitsujin
Ok but at least one essay style course i think is essential. Especially as Oriental studies focuses on History, Politics and even economics on the chosen subject besides the language.

yeh so do eocnomics or history till a level , with two languages (by the way if you are japanese...which i gather u are by what you sed aobut bieng able to sit an A level) then i wouldnt include it in your 3 or 4 a levels.

so if you are japanses do it till A level by all means but also:

do:

History or Economics, maths, german and french
Reply 16
KupoIncarnate
I agree with zip_it in a way - certainly about ICT. Its probably the least repsected qualification EVER. Most people nowadays are computer literate, and I hope I'm not being offensive to anyone but an A-Level in it is pretty much a waste of time full stop.

You should keep maths - it shows you can apply yourself well to non-arts subjects too (because maths is basically the most respected sciencey A-level other than further maths)

I COMPLETLY AGREE! and that is why I am dropping it at the end of the year. It was a mistake in the first place that i took it and I admit to it. The problem with ICT is that it's real relevence to Computers is minute (what made me want to do it).

Especially the coursework as you might know, is the most time consuming work I have ever done. As a result I had to shift time towards ICT away from the important subjects and in fact it carries less merit then any other subject.
Reply 17
zip it123
yeh so do eocnomics or history till a level , with two languages (by the way if you are japanese...which i gather u are by what you sed aobut bieng able to sit an A level) then i wouldnt include it in your 3 or 4 a levels.

so if you are japanses do it till A level by all means but also:

do:

History or Economics, maths, german and french

I am not Japanese. Half english Half german, i am :biggrin:

Japanese is just hobby of mine and I practicly taught it myself. Like minimo puts it; I am obsessed.
Reply 18
musicboy
Hi,

There's a girl called haz on this forum who's boyfriend is a 3rd year chinese student (is in china at the moment) - You might be able to get some info through that route.

MB

Thank you for that information I will try to get in touch with her later on.
Reply 19
Doitsujin
I am not Japanese. Half english Half german, i am :biggrin:

Japanese is just hobby of mine and I practicly taught it myself. Like minimo puts it; I am obsessed.

oh that will impress!!!

btw why selwyn?

Latest

Trending

Trending