The Student Room Group

Higher choice form

Hey. (:

So, I handed in my higher choice form at the end of last week.
I'm actually really annoyed about being forced into higher chemistry because of my inept school. :frown:
I'm predicted straight ones for my standard grades so wanted to take german instead, but apparently that isn't an option... can't even take it in 6th year because of lack of general interest in the subject. Goodbye German and Law. ):

Anyone else in a similar position?
But it's looking like english, maths, modern studies, history and... chemistry. :mad:

Louise.
x
:yep:
Reply 1
Won't some unis let you do German ab initio? Or is that different for Law?
If it's something you really want, there's always doing German at a college?
Reply 3
If you mean a similar position about schools limiting subjects, then yes. In my school all the subjects (and there arent that many offered anyway) are crammed into 5 sections, and you have to do one from each. Doesnt matter what you actually want to take, if the combination doesnt fit then you cant do it.
Beanybob
In my school all the subjects (and there arent that many offered anyway) are crammed into 5 sections, and you have to do one from each. Doesnt matter what you actually want to take, if the combination doesnt fit then you cant do it.

Choosing from columns is the usual way of doing it. For what it's worth, our 6th year isn't done in columns and was consequently an administrative nightmare taking the best part of a month and a half to finalize.
Beanybob
If you mean a similar position about schools limiting subjects, then yes. In my school all the subjects (and there arent that many offered anyway) are crammed into 5 sections, and you have to do one from each. Doesnt matter what you actually want to take, if the combination doesnt fit then you cant do it.

Can you think of any other way they could do it?
Reply 6
TheUnbeliever
Choosing from columns is the usual way of doing it. For what it's worth, our 6th year isn't done in columns and was consequently an administrative nightmare taking the best part of a month and a half to finalize.

Surely not all schools force their 5th year to choose between Higher Maths or int. 2 Home Ec?? Cos that was basically our options last year...

6th year was an admin nightmare in my school too, though mostly cos there were no subjects to offer. Modern studies was scrapped at all levels, neither English nor Maths is available at AH due to under-staffing, AH Chemistry was available, but only on the understanding that there would be no specific taught periods, AH Art was offered, but only if students would stay out of the classrooms at all times, and there is no music teacher. At all. The AH students have ended up teaching the 1st and 2nd years most of the time....

I love my school. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Chemistry is difficult :frown:
But you'll really enjoy it.

I handed in my 6ht year choice of course :biggrin:
Crash H Graph Comm, Crash H Psychology (unless I fail English in which case I will be forced into a resit), AH Modern Studies and AH Art :biggrin:

I was pushed into taking English this year. And I'm failing, which isn't good. I really hope I pass because I really want to take Psychology!!
Reply 8
Beanybob
Surely not all schools force their 5th year to choose between Higher Maths or int. 2 Home Ec?? Cos that was basically our options last year...

6th year was an admin nightmare in my school too, though mostly cos there were no subjects to offer. Modern studies was scrapped at all levels, neither English nor Maths is available at AH due to under-staffing, AH Chemistry was available, but only on the understanding that there would be no specific taught periods, AH Art was offered, but only if students would stay out of the classrooms at all times, and there is no music teacher. At all. The AH students have ended up teaching the 1st and 2nd years most of the time....

I love my school. :biggrin:

Jeez I thought my school, was bad making me do Adv. Biology instead of Adv. Chemistry.
Reply 9
Dork360
Hey. (:

I'm actually really annoyed about being forced into higher chemistry because of my inept school. :frown:
I'm predicted straight ones for my standard grades so wanted to take german instead, but apparently that isn't an option... can't even take it in 6th year because of lack of general interest in the subject. Goodbye German and Law. ):

But it's looking like english, maths, modern studies, history and... chemistry. :mad:

Louise.
x

Just because you can't do German doesn't mean that you can't do law, if that is what you were implying.
lcmd
Just because you can't do German doesn't mean that you can't do law, if that is what you were implying.

I'd imagine they meant that they wanted to do a joint honours course which required German at Higher.
Dork360
Hey. (:

Louise.
x

I was in a similar position when picking my 5th year courses. Ideally I wanted to take Highers in Admin, Englich, History, Modern Studies an RE, but he course choice columns were ****** up. You could take all 3 sciences with maths and english with no problem, but could not take all 3 social sciences with maths and english. My school are clearly biased towards sciences! I ended up with only 3 highers -English, admin and history and 2 int 2s- maths (which should have been higher but there was no room in the classes for me) and food technology. Because of this I got a conditional to study the subject I want to study(law) rather than an unconditional, which means I now have to do my second choice course (history) because I have now had to leave school.
Reply 12
Oh I see, that would make sense.
Reply 13
Chemistry is sexy, you get to make NYLON for Gawdsssssssssssake
Beanybob
Surely not all schools force their 5th year to choose between Higher Maths or int. 2 Home Ec??

For us, pretty much. It was sort of assumed that you would take maths (as almost everyone did at either Higher, or Int 2 for those who dropped to Int 1 in S4).

I can't speak to how the choices were elsewhere, since I did one of the most common combinations of subjects, but I don't recall anyone majorly complaining (although there were a couple).

The AH students have ended up teaching the 1st and 2nd years most of the time....

Sucks... :frown:
Reply 15
Beanybob

We were quite lucky in that respect - the only subject it's assumed everyone will take is english (it's that or int 1 product design or something). In the column where most people take maths there's also history and geography which was a big bonus for quite a significant number of people.

However, this year I really wanted to take either some form of PE (H or performance) or H modern studies, but they were all in the same columns as my AHs. Everything seemed to be squashed into a one or two columns, leaving two quite empty, which was a bit restrictive.
i dont do chemistry but from my friends' experience it not really an enjoyable subject!!
From my experience it is a an enjoyable subject. Aren't anecdotes fun :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending