The Student Room Group

Liverpool PCEMS Guidelines

Does anyone have the guidelines as what is required and what you can and can't do for Liverpools PCEMS

I know they are probably the most specific of everybody about what can and can't count, but as a grad if i get offered the 2:1 i'll be required to complete a min of 42 days before i go but a max of 70 and i'd like the have some idea of what contacts i need to be calling on (obviously i know everything has to be approved by Mel Royal (i think it is) before i can go ahead with the placements but it would be nice to have an idea)

If anyone can send me it would be very grateful, i can PM my e-mail address

- thought a seperate thread would be better as things get lost in the vetty talk on the other one!
jenny gave me them a while back they are:

2 weeks dairy in one go, same place
2 weeks horses-2 different types of eshtablishment
2 weeks lambing-first year easter in one go
2 weeks pigs-preferably split between indoor and outdoor
1 weeks chickens-split 3/4 days free and intensive
1 week cats and dogs
2 weeks choice-but there are max numbers of days you can spend in each type of place e.g no more than 5 days with experimental animals
Reply 2
rupertbear91
jenny gave me them a while back they are:

2 weeks dairy in one go, same place
2 weeks horses-2 different types of eshtablishment
2 weeks lambing-first year easter in one go
2 weeks pigs-preferably split between indoor and outdoor
1 weeks chickens-split 3/4 days free and intensive
1 week cats and dogs
2 weeks choice-but there are max numbers of days you can spend in each type of place e.g no more than 5 days with experimental animals

Thanks - its so hard how they are all different - edinburgh wanted a week on small animal placements which doesn't seem to feature with liv - and the horse thing is very annoying with Liv as i have worked for 3 years as a professional groom but its been in one type of establishement so i'd have to go off and find a stud farm or something somewhere... ah well all part of it
Reply 3
What does PCEMS stand for?
Phoebe_Vet
What does PCEMS stand for?

Pre clinical extra mural studies.:yep:
Reply 5

So is this what we all have to complete?
yh in fthe first 2 years i think it is - then in the last 3 years you have to do 26 weeks at different vets!
Reply 7
yep - 5 year course people do 6 weeks each year apart from last year where you do 8 weeks - as a minimum - the PCEMS - animal husbandry based things are done within the first 2 years, then as rupert bear says years 3-5 is spent doing the clnical EMS where you shadow the vets and start doing things on the job etc under their supervision.

2in1 people need to do the first 2 years in 1 year so effectivly need to do year 1's quota before we get there
Reply 8
6 weeks a year sounds managable, I thought it was going to be much more than that i.e 12 weeks a year!
yh if we get the same hols as the rest of the uni - which i am not sure we do then it is good :smile:
Reply 10
would it not be more than that in the last 3 years? It is roughly 6 weeks/year in years 1 and 2 cos you have to do 12 weeks PCEMS in total. But the clinical stuff you have to do 26 weeks so even if you did 8 weeks a year that would only be 24 weeks worth so you still have an extra 2 weeks to fit in somewhere.
Reply 11
tiny_tiger your right i can't add - your probably going to get 10-12 weeks done in your final year as its lecture free but don't quote me on that as i don't know the exact outline of how they deal with it
Reply 12
Haha sorry, thought I may have missed something...that sounded too good to be true! :p: And yeh your last year is lecture free but dont forget about rotations! You dont tend to get normal holidays then, just odd weeks here and there so fitting in loads in that year may be tricky
at the rvc we're meant to complete 13 weeks of clinical ems before starting rotations, ie between February of year 3 and Christmas of year 4, so we're not even given a whole year.
Which boils down to me having no summer whatsoever, 9 weeks of clinEMS straight, then only 2 measly weeks of holiday in September if I don't have resits.
It'll all be worth it if the placements are good though.... we'll see!
isnt there a maximum amount you can do in the 3rd year? or is that only at some places?
Reply 15
I havnt heard that before
Reply 16
i haven't either - but i suppose there is a maximum in reality at all places - there are only so much you can cover in the time scale allowed as there are set dates between which you can do your EMS.
hmm maybe not then, i cant remember where i read it
Hmm, just wondering if any grads know the answer to this...

Basically, I'll be putting RVC(or Notts if by some miracle I get an offer) as my firm choice and Liv as my insurance, so I won't know where I'm going til August, by which time it would be too late to do the 70 days ems, but will Liv let me arrange it all before I know for certain I'm going there....cos won't they have to confirm the suitability of the placements before we do them or something?

Idk, I'll have to email them, but just wondered if anyone else already knew....

Latest

Trending

Trending