The Student Room Group

Which course should I pick?

Hello my name is kumar,

I have handed in my ucas application with unis and courses and it is mainly an emphasis on actuarial science. I have done a lot of research but still, cant find an aswer to my question which is what one should I pick?

These are my offers which I am concentrating on:-

Cass Actuarial science
HW Actuarial science
Soto Actuarial science and maths(well the words actuarial science amd maths might be the other way, just ignore it)

From this I have no chice to chose them, here is alot of advantages and disadvantages of each of them IMO

Cass

Advantages

Best for actuarial science BSc in the uk
Very high chance of being employeed
Lectueres are great
Its in london!

Disadvantages

Par cass, city aent that great
Crap student life
Not much buzz happens there
accomadtion ie halls arent great
High drop out rate

Soto

Advantages

Great student life!
Weather is amasing south!
Its a joint degree which adds flexibility
Great facilities ie for sports
They have modules on black holes

Disadvantages

Its not pure actuarial science
Employment not as good as cass
Staff favour locals apparently

Heriot watt

Advantages

Third best in uk for BSc actuarial science
Close to edinbrugh
some friends go there
4 year course which I would prefer, and very good pot grad
Student life good

Disadvantages

University not well seen by other people in general outside maths dep
Employment is MUCH MUCH better in scotland rather than uk

so from that which one would be better in ur opinion, as I still dotn know?

thanks
Reply 1
(DELETED)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Cass
Reply 3
Soto from that... possibly Cass depending on whether you really want pure actuarial science. The student life can't be that bad with it being in London? Flexibility is good though, especially if you might change your mind. From your pros and cons, Soto sounds like the best option.
It really depends on what you want to do in the future. If you want to zone in on Actuarial Science, go to Cass. It offers you the most exemptions from the Professional Actuarial Exams. (8 out of 10 Core exams I think, don't quote me)

The bad thing about most London universities is that they can look be old and cruddy unlike those in Singapore (btw, hi-5. Saw your flag) and their accommodation fees are daylight robbery compared to other places in the UK. Its the compromise you have to deal with if you want the best degree for the course. The social life should not be that bad, after all you could go for the occasional outing with your pals beyond London if you are not studying. Another good thing about Cass is that the lecturers are the big players in the field so you are getting the latest updates. I went for the open day, the halls were absolute dank but the lecturers were open and friendly. Students there enjoy their uni life.

If you are geared on ActSci, Soto might not be the best as it is not on the accredited list although you have great peripheral activities.

It's really up to you though. Personally I would endure 3 years in a London uni with supposedly crap student life because I'll be at a better position with a Cass degree. Since enjoying uni years is 3 years but hunting for jobs is for life. Employers in the AciSci field do note which unis churn out better quality undergraduates and they recognize Cass as a prime source for good trainees. After all, Cass is one of the top business schools in Europe, not so much can go wrong with that.

Good luck in choosing anyway. :-)
Reply 5
I definitely don't think student life in London is bad. It all depends on whether you're a city person or not. I know a few people who lived and studied in London and loved every minute of it. Likewise, I also know people who hated every minute of it. Which one are you?

My suggestion: CASS.

Latest

Trending

Trending