The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey, I'm a soon to be ed vet starting in september and thought i should say hello to everyone so *waves*
Before i've just silently stalked the forums looking for interview tips but then ed was generous enough to give me an unconditional. Looking forward to meeting you all =)
Reply 21
Hi! I'm glad to see another Edinburgh vet. :biggrin:
Are you doing the 5-year or 4-year program, out of interest?
Have you posted in my firm thread more to the point :tongue:

Hello btw!

xxx
Reply 23
erm the 5 year d100 one, didnt even know there was a 4 year course?
I havent posted on any other thread I definitely would if i could find it lol
Well excited =)
are you guys all doing a levels/highers atm or on gap years? x
I'm on the old Advanced highers... As is LDVet so we are coming straight from school? What about yourself?

The 4 year course is for grads btw.

The thread is on the first page. Its the Firm Theard for Vet Med/Sci or something and its been posted by me so that should help you :smile: If not I shall post the link!

xxx
Reply 25
i had to take a year out which was a bit rubbish but turned out to be worth it and glad i dont have to stress about a level results.
i have found it =)
xX
Reply 26
Hi Future Dick Vets!
I am new here. I'm a student from the US (NY specifically). It's funny because there's a forum just like this for pre-vets/vet students that a lot of people here go on called SDN (Student Doctor Network- anyone heard of it?).

I'm going to be in the grad entry program at Edinburgh this August. I'm kinda freaked out about moving to Scotland!

I was just wondering what the process is like in the UK for applying to vet school. I'm roughly familiar with what taking A levels means and that you apply through UCAS. (We apply through VMCAS). Is it really difficult to get into vet school in the UK? It's definitely hard to here. I got two offers here but turned them down for Edinburgh because I wanted to live abroad again. Is Edinburgh a really good school? From what I've heard and read it seems like an excellent school, but I still feel unsure since it seems like many people here have never even heard of it lol.

Anyways, look forward to meeting you guys this year!
jenvet
Hi Future Dick Vets!
I am new here. I'm a student from the US (NY specifically). It's funny because there's a forum just like this for pre-vets/vet students that a lot of people here go on called SDN (Student Doctor Network- anyone heard of it?).

I'm going to be in the grad entry program at Edinburgh this August. I'm kinda freaked out about moving to Scotland!

I was just wondering what the process is like in the UK for applying to vet school. I'm roughly familiar with what taking A levels means and that you apply through UCAS. (We apply through VMCAS). Is it really difficult to get into vet school in the UK? It's definitely hard to here. I got two offers here but turned them down for Edinburgh because I wanted to live abroad again. Is Edinburgh a really good school? From what I've heard and read it seems like an excellent school, but I still feel unsure since it seems like many people here have never even heard of it lol.

Anyways, look forward to meeting you guys this year!

wow good luck making the move. im surprised peole havent heard of it cos its a capital city (of sorts)
Reply 28
Haha, tell me about it. Welcome to living in America, where people don't even know the capital of Scotland!!:rolleyes:
Reply 29
Well its not a huge city really, im sure i read edinburghs the 23rd best uni in the world and 4th in the uk, and its listed as the 2nd hardest vet school to get into in the uk (after cambridge which is where all the privately educated people go) but i dont know whether thats true or not because they accepted me =) but of all the vet schools i saw its definitely the purdiest
veterinary medicines supposedly the hardest course to get into in the uk, i read theres something like 10 people applying per place and at least a few of those are qualified to take the places, they ask for the highest grades they can (3 A's) which is the same as a lot of dentistry and medicine courses but there are only 7 uk vet schools and a lot more dentistry and medicine places so you generally have to have more work experience and shine in interview
im moving country too ! (only from england though so not quite so impressive)
have you visited edinburgh yet? i imagine its a lot different to NY, miles smaller anyway.
Look forward to seeing you next year anyway
xx
Reply 30
trin
Well its not a huge city really, im sure i read edinburghs the 23rd best uni in the world and 4th in the uk, and its listed as the 2nd hardest vet school to get into in the uk (after cambridge which is where all the privately educated people go) but i dont know whether thats true or not because they accepted me =) but of all the vet schools i saw its definitely the purdiest
veterinary medicines supposedly the hardest course to get into in the uk, i read theres something like 10 people applying per place and at least a few of those are qualified to take the places, they ask for the highest grades they can (3 A's) which is the same as a lot of dentistry and medicine courses but there are only 7 uk vet schools and a lot more dentistry and medicine places so you generally have to have more work experience and shine in interview
im moving country too ! (only from england though so not quite so impressive)
have you visited edinburgh yet? i imagine its a lot different to NY, miles smaller anyway.
Look forward to seeing you next year anyway
xx

Yeah, I visited Edinburgh while I was in London last semester. But it was only for a weekend and I didn't see much of the city. I am bummed about leaving NY (I've been here for 4 years and I still feel like I haven't experienced it all!), but I think Edinburgh will be fun too. It's definitely much smaller, but after living in London and NY I think it will be nice to live in a city with more of a 'small town' feel.

The US is the same way with only a few vet schools (well for its size). We have something like 28 vet schools and 135 med schools. But wow, 10 people per place! I feel so lucky I got accepted!

I'm going to be living in an area called Tollcross. It's right near the Meadows and about a 10-15 min walk from Summerhall. Are you guys doing university housing? :smile:
I know there!!!!!!!!! Its really close to both the vet school and the centre.

xxx
trin
Well its not a huge city really, im sure i read edinburghs the 23rd best uni in the world and 4th in the uk, and its listed as the 2nd hardest vet school to get into in the uk (after cambridge which is where all the privately educated people go)

Can I just point out that the statement in bold is debatable. I doubt the state:tongue:rivate ratio is significantly different to any other vet course.

I wouldn't really pay attention to university rankings either, they're arbitary and totally subjective.
All UK vet schools are very hard to get into, in terms of people per place it is fairly similar however each vet school obviously has slightly different preferences in the type of student they want.

I'm sure xFuture_Vetx posted a blog recently, written by an american graduate at Edinburgh?
Edinburgh is an amazing city, I'd rate it as one of my favourites in the UK.
Edinburgh is definately my favourite - I call it my home away from home! Soon to be home!

Yes I did post one - Its in this thread too.

I would agree with OllyH. I would also say that all the vet schools here are excellent so uni rankings for it really show nothing significant.

xxx
Reply 34
im doing uni housing, i was going to go for self catered because its miles cheaper even when u factor in paying for food but my friends in his second year doing biology out there and when i asked for his advice he said to go for catered, partly because some of the self catered flats are in quite skanky areas (although he did say a few wer quite nice) and partly because your not lumped in with say 4 other people that you may or may not get along with, i figure seeing as il be there for 5 years i want to meet as many people as possible, although to be fair one of my friends went into self catered accommodation in leeds and all her flatmates seemed really nice
im sure the ratings are pulled out of thin air and probably change significantly every year but i would be very surprised if the ratio of private to state students isnt miles higher in oxbridge than the average uni, although perhaps not for vet med?
thats just my impression anyway i could be totally wrong as i never seriously looked into cambridge
are you originally from london or ny jenvet?
Reply 35
Jenvet, are you living in uni accommodation near Tollcross or do you have other living arrangements? My top choices for accommodation were near Tollcross so I was just wondering .:biggrin:
I had heard that Edinburgh uni was harsh at interview, and now you guys say it's the 2nd hardest to get into? Wow, that makes me feel even more amazed that I got in! Although the unis seem to be so different, it's difficult to judge how hard it is to get an offer from each one.

Just wondering, anyone going to the Edinburgh festival this summer? I'm definetly going to be up there a lot for comedy gigs and just to get a good feel for the city. It's a gorgeous place, I'm sure we'll all have a great time.
Reply 36
Trin RE: I'm originally from a place just outside NY and I go to school here in Manhattan, but I studied abroad in London for two semesters, so I'm relatively familiar with the UK.

LDVet RE: I'm living in private accomodation in Tollcross. I have been doing University housing here at NYU for the past 4 years and it's not terrible, but I'd just like to have a place that feels more like mine. I'm living with one other U of E student (he's a 4th year math student), but I will have my own bedroom and bathroom. It is a pretty nice flat...it's costing me about 335 pcm including all bills. I found it through gumtree.

I am excited to meet everyone! It's good to know Tollcross is a good area to be living in. It seemed so from what I read online. I would love to see some of the Festival this August. I've never been to it...does it last the whole month? How do you get tickets to certain events? Which ones are the best? I guess it won't be a big deal if I miss most of it this year (because the GEP starts August 10th!) as I'll have 3 more years to see it! By the way, when you guys says "oxbridge" what do you mean? Is that Oxford and Cambridge together?
I'm staying at home for as long as possible this summer! But the tail end of it will be when I arrive (whenever that is!) so I guess I'll see some of it.

Edinburgh were lovely at interview! Although they asked technical q's, it was stuff you should have picked up and they went about it in a nice way. Unlike other uni's... :tongue:

xxx
Oxbridge = Cambridge and Oxford
Reply 39
xFuture_Vetx

Edinburgh were lovely at interview! Although they asked technical q's, it was stuff you should have picked up and they went about it in a nice way. Unlike other uni's... :tongue:

xxx

Thanks for clearing up the 'oxbridge' thing! I guess I'll have to get used to new words after crossing the pond!

Edinburgh doesn't even interview NA students. I guess because it would be much more expensive and time consuming. Instead they threw an "accepted students reception" here in Manhattan at the Cornell Club (a realllyyy nice venue) and provided a wonderful lunch and talks from current lecturers. They were extremely nice and friendly! And the food was good! I guess we had it easy over here! I'm sorry you had to go through interviews. (I went through 3 here, RVC included, and it was so stressful!)

Latest

Trending

Trending