The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Id never teach.

Crap pay. Crap job with 100's of wee neds making smart @rse comments.

No thank you.

Plus, it must get incredibably repetitive doing the same courses year in year out for 40 odd years of your life.
Reply 21
Davie_Moyes
Id never teach.

Crap pay. Crap job with 100's of wee neds making smart @rse comments.

No thank you.

Plus, it must get incredibably repetitive doing the same courses year in year out for 40 odd years of your life.

I can't wait to teach! The likes of me and other fellow teachers-to-be are the only hope for these so called neds who's parents don't give a damm about what they do with their lives. I will be teaching primary age children however, and so I won't come across as many of these poor no-hopers as I would if I was to teach secondary. (There is no way possible I could teach a bunch of teenagers - yuck).
Good luck to you :biggrin:
Reply 23
Davie_Moyes
Good luck to you :biggrin:

Thanks, I know I will need it. But it's always been what I want to do and I'm not going to let a small minority of brats stop me!!
Reply 24
lynseyweth
Have you ever spent any time in a classroom as a teacher rather than as a pupil?

About 10 years.
Reply 25
Howard
About 10 years.

So then how can you make such assumptions about their lives being easy? What age do you teach?
Reply 26
lynseyweth
So then how can you make such assumptions about their lives being easy? What age do you teach?

Did teach. Obviously I can make such assumptions from experience.
Reply 27
Howard
Did teach. Obviously I can make such assumptions from experience.

Yeah exactly - but I can't understand how you thought it was an easy life! What age did you teach?
Reply 28
lynseyweth
Yeah exactly - but I can't understand how you thought it was an easy life! What age did you teach?

Well, I taught variously 14-18 at secondary (private & public sector) but also taught at University.
Reply 29
Howard
Well, I taught variously 14-18 at secondary (private & public sector) but also taught at University.

Well then we can have different views on the matter, because I have worked with primary school children. I have no idea about the work load of secondary school teachers (I always imagined that they would have more work than a primary school teacher though).
Anyway - I suppose it depends on the individual as well - you may find the work easy, whereas many others would find it tiring and not so easy. Just a thought.
Reply 30
lynseyweth
Well then we can have different views on the matter, because I have worked with primary school children. I have no idea about the work load of secondary school teachers (I always imagined that they would have more work than a primary school teacher though).
Anyway - I suppose it depends on the individual as well - you may find the work easy, whereas many others would find it tiring and not so easy. Just a thought.

I found it a piece of piss. I should imagine teaching primary school kids would be even easier. You're hardly likely to strain a muscle marking some four line essays about "What I did in my holidays" I wouldn't have thought.
Reply 31
Howard
I found it a piece of piss. I should imagine teaching primary school kids would be even easier. You're hardly likely to strain a muscle marking some four line essays about "What I did in my holidays" I wouldn't have thought.

Well no of course not, but you you can't deny it is tiring. I have only really worked in reception and year 1 and 2 and I that it is very tiring. At the end of the day all you want to do is go to bed, you don't get a rest, there is constantly something happening in the classroom, or a playtimes, and even once everyone has gone home, there are still some children who stay behind (because their parents have forgotten to pick them up). I think teaching infants would be a lot more busier than secondary school. You can't just set them a task and expect them all to get on with it like you can in secondary school. You have to watch them constantly.
Make teachers' salaries more dependent upon how much value they add to the students they teach! Then the good ones who make an effort and are conscientious would be rewarded and those who just do it to give children text books to copy out of and spend 35 years in a cooshtie job get no reward for their indolence!!! More money for good teachers, less for bad ones!
Reply 33
Dipsomaniac
Make teachers' salaries more dependent upon how much value they add to the students they teach! Then the good ones who make an effort and are conscientious would be rewarded and those who just do it to give children text books to copy out of and spend 35 years in a cooshtie job get no reward for their indolence!!! More money for good teachers, less for bad ones!

I think that happens at my school. Our teachers get bonuses depending on how their yr11 and 12 and 13 classes perform in their public exams.
Reply 34
Davie_Moyes
Id never teach.

If you only repeat a task or unit of work once a year, it makes it a lot less repetitive than many other jobs!

Besides, the last few governments have messed about with Secondary Ed. so much in the last few years, that you'd be lucky to teach the same material 2 years running!

Aitch
mobb_theprequel
Not to mention the recent retraction of teachers acting as compulsory exam invigilators! How can you have any sympathy for teachers, when most secondary school teachers will be spending from mid-May until mid-July enriching Kenco and the local pubs - whilst teaching perhaps a couple of lessons a week to lower-schoolers. One of my teachers will have 4/5 days (effectively) off for two months soon from now! And that's before the six-and-a-half week holiday even begins.

These guys also get free laptops, discounted home computers, free stationery, loadsa time off for computer courses, free/heavily discounted tutors for their kids etc. And the future looks bright for teachers! Parents evenings will soon be banned after school hours due to union action; hell, Friday afternoons may soon be banned too!

The only time these guys have it remotely hard is when the OFSTED bods come to bust them down a few pegs.

Okay you do it.

I get warn out looking after 1 six-year old for a few hours. 30? you must be joking!
Reply 36
ChemistBoy

I get warn out looking after 1 six-year old for a few hours.
/QUOTE]
Which emphasises my point of teaching being a tiring job!
Reply 37
I was training to be a nursery nurse last year. I know its not the same, but we had teachers working in the nursery and as part of my training i saw a lot of what they did. They started at 8:30 everyday with a staff meeting talking about what they were going to cover, any news etc etc. then after the children had gone home they did planning for the day/week/month ahead until about 6. We came in every inset day and did training, had to be able to teach maths, english, science and how to be a good human being! My teachers are part of the reason i'm at uni now, the good ones went far beyond the call of duty in order to encourage me to do well.
Yes. Guess who earns more a teacher responsible for the future of the country or my good friends train drivers who can drive badly and only have to stop for a red light now and then (and may not bother)? Yeap you gussed it the bloody train drivers. Yes I have a major problem with train drivers and their obscene pay and unions who hold the country to ransom.
Sarky
I was training to be a nursery nurse last year. I know its not the same, but we had teachers working in the nursery and as part of my training i saw a lot of what they did. They started at 8:30 everyday with a staff meeting talking about what they were going to cover, any news etc etc. then after the children had gone home they did planning for the day/week/month ahead until about 6. We came in every inset day and did training, had to be able to teach maths, english, science and how to be a good human being! My teachers are part of the reason i'm at uni now, the good ones went far beyond the call of duty in order to encourage me to do well.

My gf is a nursery nurse, she's been think about becoming a teacher, but I think she's secretly hanging on to the hope that I'm going to get some well-paid job. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending