The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hubarabsprog
Yes. Guess who earns more a teacher responsible for the future of the country or my good friends train drivers who can drive badly and only have to stop for a red light now and then (and may not bother)? Yeap you gussed it the bloody train drivers. Yes I have a major problem with train drivers and their obscene pay and unions who hold the country to ransom.

Aparently £30,000 a year and the right not to work on certain days regardless of train schedules is a poor deal - whatever...
Ellie4
I'd love to be a techer (secondary, Geography... oo like Geogger :biggrin:), but it's a shame there's so little money in it. Teachers are massively exploited! I love my teachers, they've made school fun and interesting, and I want to be one! :redface:
Up with teachers' pay! :p:

totally agree teaching is one of the most important jobs you can do as it helps shape lives and enables our society to grow!!
Howard
I think they're underworked and overpaid personally. 6 weeks summer vacation. 3 for Christmas (as if that's not enough they even have "shopping days" in some schools, 3 for easter, plus the "occasional days" plus plenty of "sick days" covered by temps etc.

On top of that the working day doesn't start until 9 and is finished by 3:30 with 45 mins for lunch, a couple of 15 min breaks, as well as "free periods"

Bunch of slackers IMO. A good days work would kill most of them. :biggrin:

Actually your quite wrong. Ok, the general working day is from 9 till 3.30 with various breaks in between. Primary teachers don't get free periods and during non-contact time they are working. Unless you live with or know a teacher on social terms you don't see how much paperwork and planning goes into a job like teaching. Many teachers work through breaks, None leave exactly at 3.30pm the earliest any leave is 4.00, becuase they have work to do. Teaching actually involves a lot more work than you think.
I go to an international school, and my teachers can't teach. Sure, they're all pretty decent blokes (I seem to have a lot of male teachers, can't see why), but when it comes down to teaching, they're rubbish at it. And they get paid a heck of a lot. I pay approximately $20000 a year to go to this school, and it's the most expensive with the least return.

So I say down to unqualified IB teachers!!

Having said that, I still think that teaching is a glorious job, and wouldn't mind being one if I had the skill. In the middle of thinking about which career path I should take. It does sound highly hypocritical criticising my teachers for not being able to teach, when I myself can't really teach, but it's the nature of the essence...... ok I lost myself.
Reply 44
£20,000 a year? *faints*.
Reply 45
Surely if teachers were underpaid and overworked, then they would use their initiative and work out that if they strike, the school system would collapse completely and the government would be at the mercy of the teachers! Mind you i beleive that teachers are 1. Too gulliable, and will follow like sheep when it comes to wages 2. Too conformist, and any radical move by a teacher will be shunned by the 'older' teachers. 3. [coming to a post near you soon]

Strike! :tsr: Strike! :tsr: ........

or not... :frown:
Reply 46
Strumpet
I'd love to be a techer (secondary, Geography... oo like Geogger :biggrin:), but it's a shame there's so little money in it. Teachers are massively exploited! I love my teachers, they've made school fun and interesting, and I want to be one! :redface:
Up with teachers' pay! :p:

:dito:
Totally agree. Teachers go through sh*t sometimes and it's time this was recognized.
^^^^ Well said. There are good and bad teachers of course, I'm not denying that (I've been taught by enough of the latter type to know, lol) but teaching - although rewarding - is a very draining job. Unlike other jobs, teachers can't just switch off the moment they finish school - marking essays, coursework, planning lessons presentations etc all takes up a huge amount of time. Many teachers feel so underappreciated, and that's so sad when you consider the huge amount of time and effort many put into their work. More people who criticize the profession should read the TES and wake up to what a teaching career really involves - both good and bad aspects. (Oh, and for the record I'm not a teacher myself - but both my parents and many of their friends are, so I can see both sides.)
Reply 48
White_redrose
^^^^ Well said. There are good and bad teachers of course, I'm not denying that (I've been taught by enough of the latter type to know, lol) but teaching - although rewarding - is a very draining job. Unlike other jobs, teachers can't just switch off the moment they finish school - marking essays, coursework, planning lessons presentations etc all takes up a huge amount of time. Many teachers feel so underappreciated, and that's so sad when you consider the huge amount of time and effort many put into their work. More people who criticize the profession should read the TES and wake up to what a teaching career really involves - both good and bad aspects. (Oh, and for the record I'm not a teacher myself - but both my parents and many of their friends are, so I can see both sides.)

Your point about reading TES is really valid. It would give people who don't understand what teachers go through a real insight into their world. I think from the outside it looks like a cushy job - long holidays etc, but I say make people that think that work as a teacher for a week and then they can see what it's really like with lesson plans, marking etc. My parents are also both teachers btw.
Reply 49
Rebecca/Becca
:dito:
Totally agree. Teachers go through sh*t sometimes and it's time this was recognized.

Remember Percy?
Reply 50
JaF
Remember Percy?

Haha. Percy was awesome.
Reply 51
JaF
Remember Percy?

Yeah of course I do! What about him? I thought he was a great teacher!! (After being mean to him.....but he helped me get a really good mark on my coursework!)
Rebecca/Becca
Your point about reading TES is really valid. It would give people who don't understand what teachers go through a real insight into their world. I think from the outside it looks like a cushy job - long holidays etc, but I say make people that think that work as a teacher for a week and then they can see what it's really like with lesson plans, marking etc. My parents are also both teachers btw.

Thanks :smile: - and I totally agree, I think if that was implemented, however briefly, many would come out of it with a very different opinion!

Latest

Trending

Trending