The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Conditional Offer

Hi,

Well, firstly I got a conditional offer from Edinburgh University which asked for 2 Highers at Grade B. However, I know that to get a B in one the subjects im doing this year is virtually imposible. So I emailed admissions and they said if I was to get one Higher B and an Advanced Higher B then that would be acceptable also.

I was just wondering if anyone has/is in this situation? As im somewhat skeptical about it as all I have is an email saying this.
As long as you've got an email from an actual person at an @ed.ac.uk address then you should be fine on results day. If there are any problems with it, then you need to get out the email and show it to them. Have you asked them if they will update your ucas track with the new offer conditions?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
oxymoronic
As long as you've got an email from an actual person at an @ed.ac.uk address then you should be fine on results day. If there are any problems with it, then you need to get out the email and show it to them. Have you asked them if they will update your ucas track with the new offer conditions?

Yes, I did and the reply I got was that the offer that the person sent out to me would be accepted in lieu if I did not attain what was on my ucas letter - So there was to be no change to my ucas letter. Also it isn't exactly an email its on Edinburgh University's EUCLID service, but Im sure that still is proof.
As long as it specifically says that they will accept these grades in lieu of whatever it says on your ucas letter then your sorted. Make sure you've 100% understood the exact wording of what they're saying (ie: it doesn't say might be accepted rather than will be) and then if you have any problems on results day you can refer them to your EUCLID. Make sure you take screen shots etc of your page now and save it if you can - does it have a date or anything near it? Just incase they change it for some reason before then and then try to claim that they never said it.
Reply 4
Don't worry about it...

Congratulations...

And out of curiosity, what course are you applying to?
Reply 5
A.R.E
Don't worry about it...

Congratulations...

And out of curiosity, what course are you applying to?

I applied to do Geography Course
Reply 6
Cool, congrats
Reply 7
I've just finished my first year at Edinburgh and I'm also a Geographer :smile: Once you have your results just phone them ASAP and explain the situation. My boyfriend needed BBC at Higher for his conditional but got BBD and an A at Advanced Higher - they were more than happy to offer him a place!
TBug
My boyfriend needed BBC at Higher for his conditional but got BBD and an A at Advanced Higher - they were more than happy to offer him a place!

Getting Abbd more than fulfils a bbc requirement.
Reply 9
TBug
I've just finished my first year at Edinburgh and I'm also a Geographer :smile: Once you have your results just phone them ASAP and explain the situation. My boyfriend needed BBC at Higher for his conditional but got BBD and an A at Advanced Higher - they were more than happy to offer him a place!

Thats reassuring thanks :biggrin:...btw Whats first year Geography like?
Reply 10
It's alright :smile: Very varied. I'm doing the MA (Human Geography) but in your first year, as you probably know, everyone has to do one semester of human geography and one semester of physical geography (the physical course is called Earth Surface Systems). I loved the human course but didn't find the physical course that engaging - I'm dreading the exam (it's next week). That's just because I'm a human geographer though - plenty of people loved ESS and weren't so keen on the human side! A lot of people enjoyed both courses. I guess doing one semester of each is a good plan as it gives you a good overall grounding in a lot of areas. There's a fair amount of coursework but nothing too demanding or that takes up ridiculous amounts of time.
Reply 11
TBug
It's alright :smile: Very varied. I'm doing the MA (Human Geography) but in your first year, as you probably know, everyone has to do one semester of human geography and one semester of physical geography (the physical course is called Earth Surface Systems). I loved the human course but didn't find the physical course that engaging - I'm dreading the exam (it's next week). That's just because I'm a human geographer though - plenty of people loved ESS and weren't so keen on the human side! A lot of people enjoyed both courses. I guess doing one semester of each is a good plan as it gives you a good overall grounding in a lot of areas. There's a fair amount of coursework but nothing too demanding or that takes up ridiculous amounts of time.

I applied for MA Geography too :biggrin: and I noticed you have to do both of them. Hmm..What sort of Physical Geography stuff is it you do? like Weather and Glaciers etc?

Ps. Good luck in your exams :smile:
Reply 12
Thank you! You do oceans, atmosphere, hydrosphere, lithosphere, biosphere and anthroposphere. You don't go into too much depth in any of the topics, it's just the basics. It's not too bad - even if physical geography isn't your thing it's only one semester you have to do!
Reply 13
TBug
Thank you! You do oceans, atmosphere, hydrosphere, lithosphere, biosphere and anthroposphere. You don't go into too much depth in any of the topics, it's just the basics. It's not too bad - even if physical geography isn't your thing it's only one semester you have to do!

Yeah suppose, I find some of it interesting. Also, im not all clued up on the elective classes you do at Uni... I know you have to pick some but can you pick whatever you want or do you have set ones they recommend?
Reply 14
Well you have to get 120 credits in total. Your two Geography courses in first year are worth 20 credits each (so 40 in total) which means you have to get another 80. Courses that last for one semester are worth 20 credits, full-year courses are worth 40 credits.

You can pretty much choose whichever course you want so long as: A) there are no timetable clashes, B) you have fulfilled any prerequisites (e.g. you can't take Chemistry 1A without a Higher at grade B or equivalent) and C) there is enough room for you (there are quotas on courses and whether you get in or not often depends on criterion such as which college your degree subject is in, i.e. Geography is in the College of Science & Engineering). Some courses are quite tough to get into because of demand. In my first semester Politics course the places that were left (after those who had been given priority because of various factors) were pretty much just handed out by a lottery system.

I took 2 Politics courses (Introduction to Politics and International Relations and Democracy in Comparative Perspective) which gave me 40 credits in total and I took a course called Introduction to the European Union which is ran by the law school (I highly recommend the course, I loved it) and as it was a full-year course that gave me the extra 40 credits that I needed.

I'd recommend taking courses that you think you'll enjoy and don't worry too much if they don't really 'fit in' with your overall degree. My boyfriend did Informatics (computing), Maths and East Asian Civilization! :smile:

You can browse the courses available at http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/09-10/, that website also tells you the individual entry requirements for all of the courses.

Latest

Trending

Trending