The Student Room Group

City or SOAS?

I've been accepted to both unconditionally.

City has a special 2-year program for students (such as myself) that have already completed an undergraduate degree to recieve an LLB. At SOAS, I'd be doing the normal 3-year LLB.

Any considerations? I hear City is not great, and SOAS is pretty good, so....??? any ideas? thanks (esp. if City would be good for jobs and/or applying for an LLM)

Scroll to see replies

ttt!!!!! sorry, i really need help with this. i've decided to goto the UK over the US so now i need some help with my choice.

thanks
Reply 2
If you ask me, I'd say go for SOAS. :smile:
Reply 3
brokentelephone
ttt!!!!! sorry, i really need help with this. i've decided to goto the UK over the US so now i need some help with my choice.

thanks

SOAS
SOAS has a higher reputation generally- but the law department at city could have a higher reputation than SOAS's. You'd be better off doing some reseach into the law departments at both institutions :smile:
Reply 5
SOAS.

Congrats on both offers by the way.
Soas. :smile:
SOAS me thinks :smile:
cool... thanks for the opinions!!! where could i do research about the law departments at City or Soas? I think SOAS as well, but 2 years vs. 3 seems pretty tempting.
Reply 9
But I would think spending that extra year in a university that is generally better regarded among employers would be well worth it wouldn't it?
BUT by that arguement, I've already completed a Bachelor of Arts degree in Canada (political science major) so in essence, I'm already quite well educated. PLUS, i do plan on a LLM right after my LLB (just for the sake of education... nerdish)
And not to shake things up too much, but I also got an offer from Queen Mary, unconditional for law. Should that change my mind at all?

I plan on working at a firm, hopefully with a big cheque!!!
Reply 12
Id say not, but some mite prefer QM.

If u do too much, ie LLB then LLM then LPC ur gonna be pretty old (compared to those who just did an llb and LPC and went straight in) when u join the firm as a trainee.. consider that also.
Reply 13
Soas.
Reply 14
SOAS
Mandeep
VOTE LABOUR!
Just out of curiosity, which university in Canada did you attend? Im from there, i was at Western.

Btw -- you do know that the rest of the law class will be the age of the undergraduate first years in Canada, right? You will be significantly older -- in fact, if you do an LL.B and a straight LL.M right after in England, you are the same age as someone just finishing up an honours undergraduate degree.

Just an FYI in case you missed it :smile:

Rahul
rahul.parmar
Just out of curiosity, which university in Canada did you attend? Im from there, i was at Western.

Btw -- you do know that the rest of the law class will be the age of the undergraduate first years in Canada, right? You will be significantly older -- in fact, if you do an LL.B and a straight LL.M right after in England, you are the same age as someone just finishing up an honours undergraduate degree.

Just an FYI in case you missed it :smile:

Rahul

Yah, i know. thats one of the reasons why i am attracted to this program at City, but am somewhat dissuaded by the reputation of the school.

RYC, I went to University of Toronto and then transferred to University of British Columbia for an undergraduate degree in political science.
Reply 17
I would personally choose SOAS, but would probably investigate further into what City has to offer. SOAS has a good reputation and has a very interesting Law course...depends what you want though :smile:
City...but only because I don't like SOAS
Reply 19
brokentelephone
BUT by that arguement, I've already completed a Bachelor of Arts degree in Canada (political science major) so in essence, I'm already quite well educated. PLUS, i do plan on a LLM right after my LLB (just for the sake of education... nerdish)

Not saying anything.. But it's very edgy over here with Institutions, particularly for Law.

Go for SOAS, what's a year? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending