The Student Room Group

Higher Geography 2009 & POST EXAM DISCUSSION

Hello,

In this years exam do you think Hydrosphere will play a major role and be a compulsory section, if so what are your views on their being much Hydrographs in the exam? - I don't think there has been a graph question for a few years now.

I would hope on having to choose between Atmosphere and Hydrosphere as those are my weakest areas.

Cheers!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think that Hydrosphere will be compulsary as it was a choice last year and there was a hydrograph last year also, so im thinking it might ask for the erosional and depositional features whilst a river is travelling from upper course to lower course, and perhaps the formation of such a feature like a meander or sumthing perhaps with a map.
Reply 2
I think that Hydrosphere will be compulsary as it was a choice last year and there was a hydrograph last year also, so im thinking it might ask for the erosional and depositional features whilst a river is travelling from upper course to lower course, and perhaps the formation of such a feature like a meander or sumthing perhaps with a map.
do you think it will be the map question because mre prelim had a hydrosphere map question as question one??
i really hope the biosphere question is sanddunes because i really depise soils =/
yo bladz oll i has revized iz da placezz on da mapz inut. coz it iz geografy in tha end inut so i cante go wrong yaarrr!! i iz too smartt! :smile:
Reply 5
spoony2oo8
do you think it will be the map question because mre prelim had a hydrosphere map question as question one??
i really hope the biosphere question is sanddunes because i really depise soils =/

I would really advise knowing your soils better in that case, it's more likely to come up than succession!
rosie9391
I would really advise knowing your soils better in that case, it's more likely to come up than succession!

i do know them :biggrin:

its just that they are well boring.
Reply 7
spoony2oo8
i do know them :biggrin:

its just that they are well boring.

opps sorry :p:

yeah they aren't very exciting :\
Reply 8
I think hydrographs are more than likely to come up! Also i gave a question. Will we get a choice between answering a rural or urban question? The first four are compulsory, right? atmosphere, lithosphere, hydrosphere and biosphere. Then choice between rural, urban and industry and population? I haven't studied the layout well!
Reply 9
missyq
I think hydrographs are more than likely to come up! Also i gave a question. Will we get a choice between answering a rural or urban question? The first four are compulsory, right? atmosphere, lithosphere, hydrosphere and biosphere. Then choice between rural, urban and industry and population? I haven't studied the layout well!

Nope there's 8 topics in total (lithosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere, biosphere, rural, urban, industry and population).The choice can be between any of these (varies year to year), but it will be one human choice of 2, and one physical choice of 2. Last year choice was rural or industry (human) and atmosphere or hydrosphere (physical), so there's a good choice some of these will be compulsory. The other 4 topics are compulsory.

As for general things that are likely/ not likely to come up:
-Hydrographs and the global hydrological cycle were there last year; most likely to be feature explanation this year and hydrosphere likely to be compulsory
-It will most likely be soils not succession cos there was a long compulsory question last year on succession
-Glaciation was not in either paper last year (caused some controversy:p: ) so will almost definitely appear somewhere
-Map reading was on coasts so will be something different (my guess glaciation/rivers)
-I think heavy industry came up last year:confused: so possibly modern this year

Very similar questions come up every year on population, urban and rural.
Reply 10
akj08
Nope there's 8 topics in total (lithosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere, biosphere, rural, urban, industry and population).The choice can be between any of these (varies year to year), but it will be one human choice of 2, and one physical choice of 2. Last year choice was rural or industry (human) and atmosphere or hydrosphere (physical), so there's a good choice some of these will be compulsory. The other 4 topics are compulsory.

As for general things that are likely/ not likely to come up:
-Hydrographs and the global hydrological cycle were there last year; most likely to be feature explanation this year and hydrosphere likely to be compulsory
-It will most likely be soils not succession cos there was a long compulsory question last year on succession
-Glaciation was not in either paper last year (caused some controversy:p: ) so will almost definitely appear somewhere
-Map reading was on coasts so will be something different (my guess glaciation/rivers)
-I think heavy industry came up last year:confused: so possibly modern this year

Very similar questions come up every year on population, urban and rural.

Ok thanks! So that means lithosphere, biosphere, population and urban are compulsory always or likely to be this year? Ahhh! I hate soils so much! Glaciation, as in corries, u-shaped valley etc? Do you map work for coasts will come up again? Maybe ask formation of headlands and bays? I hate rural too! Don't get that shifting cultivation stuff. I need an A in this though. Any tips on how to ace it?
Reply 11
missyq
Ok thanks! So that means lithosphere, biosphere, population and urban are compulsory always or likely to be this year? Ahhh! I hate soils so much! Glaciation, as in corries, u-shaped valley etc? Do you map work for coasts will come up again? Maybe ask formation of headlands and bays? I hate rural too! Don't get that shifting cultivation stuff. I need an A in this though. Any tips on how to ace it?

Nothing is definitely compulsory; but things that weren't compulsory last year are more likely to be this year (hydrosphere, rural, industry, atmosphere) but not definitely.
I'm almost certain coasts map reading won't be there because that was the map reading last year. Headlands etc. was also in paper 1 so unlikely again but might be in paper 2 of you're doing RLR. Yes, glacial features are VERY likely either in paper 1 or 2 (maybe map reading aswell).
No short way of learning shifting cultivation etc, just got to learn the system:

Basicallly;
-Small area of rainforest cleared and intensively farmed with primitive tools (deforestation initially creates fertile soil; nutrients from leaf litter etc.)
-Eventually this overcultivation causes a decrease in soil fertility (no lasting nutrient supply); crop yields fall
-Area is left abandoned and a new area is cleared; cycle continues

An important point is not to spend to long on any question (especially diagrams - they don't have to be amazingly neat and beautifully drawn). Try to gain a broad idea of the concepts in each topic so you can at least write something in every question. Remember everything relevant you write gets a mark; so put down everything you think of even if you're not sure it's right:smile:
Reply 12
missyq
...Any tips on how to ace it?

I would say do lots of past paper questions if you have the past papers. There is only so much they can ask really and it is likely the questions that will come up will be very similar to those in recent years.
Reply 13
knack
I would say do lots of past paper questions if you have the past papers. There is only so much they can ask really and it is likely the questions that will come up will be very similar to those in recent years.

Thanks. Fingers crossed! I really need that A! And the night before, what should i look over? There are so many notes! For paper 2, which one: Yorkshire Dales, Dorset or Cairngorms?
Reply 14
missyq
Thanks. Fingers crossed! I really need that A! And the night before, what should i look over? There are so many notes! For paper 2, which one: Yorkshire Dales, Dorset or Cairngorms?

Yeah there is so much to know! I'm not sure what I'd suggest you look over the night before. Maybe just read over the notes on the things you think you're weakest at - I think you mentioned rural so just making sure you know the key points etc. Maybe also go through each question in past papers just saying in your head (or to someone else) what you would do to answer it.

For your second question, you should know all the features (ie. glaciation, limestone, coastal) as you could be asked on any of these. However, for the environmental problems/conflicts and economic/social opportunities question (if it comes up) I expect we will be given a choice of any named upland area studied, this has been the case in recent years. I will be focusing on the Cairngorms for that question.

Hope this helps. At least its got got me thinking about the exam.. hopefully I've not been spending to much time on physics these last few days!
Reply 15
knack
Yeah there is so much to know! I'm not sure what I'd suggest you look over the night before. Maybe just read over the notes on the things you think you're weakest at - I think you mentioned rural so just making sure you know the key points etc. Maybe also go through each question in past papers just saying in your head (or to someone else) what you would do to answer it.

For your second question, you should know all the features (ie. glaciation, limestone, coastal) as you could be asked on any of these. However, for the environmental problems/conflicts and economic/social opportunities question (if it comes up) I expect we will be given a choice of any named upland area studied, this has been the case in recent years. I will be focusing on the Cairngorms for that question.

Hope this helps. At least its got got me thinking about the exam.. hopefully I've not been spending to much time on physics these last few days!

Oh man, don't remind me about physics - makes me cry. I worked really hard for it and actually found it interesting. But Edinburgh aren't bothered about what grade i get in that. They want me to get an A in any higher. But i want to do well in physics too! I guess that's just how it goes...

Ps are you saying that we should revise all three for paper 2?! And do you think we'll have a choice to do malaria in the development and health topic (paper 2)?
missyq
Oh man, don't remind me about physics - makes me cry. I worked really hard for it and actually found it interesting. But Edinburgh aren't bothered about what grade i get in that. They want me to get an A in any higher. But i want to do well in physics too! I guess that's just how it goes...

Ps are you saying that we should revise all three for paper 2?! And do you think we'll have a choice to do malaria in the development and health topic (paper 2)?

According to my teacher malaria is always there.
Well its a choice of like 3 diseases but the only one we studied was malaria.
Reply 17
spoony2oo8
According to my teacher malaria is always there.
Well its a choice of like 3 diseases but the only one we studied was malaria.

I asked my teacher too. She said most of the time but to remember bilhariza or shischtosomiases (geez my spelling is baaad!) lol
Reply 18
missyq

All three what sorry?

And yeah as someone said, it is extremely likely that we'll have a choice. I'll only be revising malaria so I better be right about that!
Reply 19
knack
All three what sorry?

And yeah as someone said, it is extremely likely that we'll have a choice. I'll only be revising malaria so I better be right about that!

All 3 as in, yorkshire dales, cairgorms and dorset?

Latest

Trending

Trending