The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Steverockin
I think that Hydrosphere will be compulsary as it was a choice last year and there was a hydrograph last year also, so im thinking it might ask for the erosional and depositional features whilst a river is travelling from upper course to lower course, and perhaps the formation of such a feature like a meander or sumthing perhaps with a map.

Pretty accurate guess!

Don't think i did all that well...serves me right though cause i didn't revise enough. It was a crash and it didn't pay off! Oh wells...exams are finished for me! :smile:
Reply 181
hmmm.. still looking for a clear answer, not meaning to be rude. Do you get 2 marks for an identifying a feature + the grid reference or just 1 mark, for question 1a of paper 1?
Question 1.
I said it was in the upper stage initially, indicated by waterfalls. Think I also rambled on about flat land..
Said about meanders suggesting it had entered middle stage..
- Then I put in u-shaped valled as a feature typical of an upper valley. What was I thinking? :P

Overall I think the paper went okay, although I was quite tight for time in paper 1!
Reply 183
Only thing thats bothering me is that I forgot to say whether it was upper, middle or lower course for the Hydrosphere question. :mad:..silly!
I found it generally okay..saying that, we'll see in August!
I hated paper 1 so very much. The time was terrible lol.
Also, my friend lost his script 0_o
Reply 185
Bretagnez
Only thing thats bothering me is that I forgot to say whether it was upper, middle or lower course for the Hydrosphere question. :mad:..silly!
I found it generally okay..saying that, we'll see in August!

It was different courses all on the same map I think. One part it was waterfalls and the other meanders so I said, at GR (xyzxyz) the river is in its middle course :s-smilie: .

The thing that bothers me was for Industry the only things I could think of for goverment and EU insentives were -

- Cheap greenfields
- Lower tax
- Grants and loans
- clustered buisness parks
- What else?
Reply 186
I wrote:

- Easy and beneficial trade made possible by the EU, as a result of being in the EU (not sure about this lol... bit too inspecific I think)
- Migration between EU countries, providing a cheaper foreign work force
lcmd
hmmm.. still looking for a clear answer, not meaning to be rude. Do you get 2 marks for an identifying a feature + the grid reference or just 1 mark, for question 1a of paper 1?

If it is just naming/stating the grid ref then 1 but if you had to explain i expect two, but again all depends on the reasons and depth of discussion!
Reply 188
Atmosphere - failed
Half of paper 2 - failed =(
Reply 189
Basically the question is: "Using appropriate grid references, describe [blah blah blah]" It doesnt' say explain.

I put down 5 descriptions and 5 appropriate grid references = 5 marks. Correct? =/
lcmd
Basically the question is: "Using appropriate grid references, describe [blah blah blah]" It doesnt' say explain.

I put down 5 descriptions and 5 appropriate grid references = 5 marks. Correct? =/

That seems correct as long it is a description - more than a list but not a full explanation :p:
When ever i have a question like that, i try to put in an extra statement or two just to be sure.
Reply 191
AveragePro
It was different courses all on the same map I think. One part it was waterfalls and the other meanders so I said, at GR (xyzxyz) the river is in its middle course :s-smilie: .

The thing that bothers me was for Industry the only things I could think of for goverment and EU insentives were -

- Cheap greenfields
- Lower tax
- Grants and loans
- clustered buisness parks
- What else?

Oh yeah, I didn't really like that question too much either. I said pretty much the same things and I probably repeated myself a few times! Other than that, I'm quite happy. The Limestone, Population ones were the optional ones I did, much prefer them to the other two that were on offer!
Hey

I am in agreement with anyone who thought paper 1 was a killer :eek:

Just wondering, does anyone know the cut off marks for the grades? I'm sure it's already probably been touched on in this thread but I can't face reading anything more about Geo, especially what people wrote, 'cause its just gonna make me realise how much I left blank/got wrong :frown:

Cheers,
Chris
Reply 193
Usually between 70% and 73%.
lcmd
Usually between 70% and 73%.

Is that for an A? What about a B and a C? :smile:
Reply 195
Yeh for an A.

Type "geography sqa" into google, click the first link and click on "external assessment reports" on the right. It's all there :smile:
Ah thank you! That is helpful, I think I got a B so I'm pleased with that, especially as I got a D in the prelim.
ShieldsG
ahh actually i just found out sheet for predictions on paper 1!

warning! the following topics are suggestions only - based mostly on the decreased likelihood of questions being repeated within a period of two years!

Atmosphere:
Atmospheric circulation i.e Hadley, Ferrel and Polar Cells: Coriolis Effect and surface winds: Global Heat Budget: Ocean currents (optional?)

Hydrosphere:
Upper course features: erosion processes: waterfalls; may be map based question. (compulsory?)

Lithosphere:
Limestone scenery (surface and underground features); may be map based - there has not been a limestone map since 1997, so it's overdue (optional?)

Biosphere:
Soils - study all three - soil profiles and main factors. (optional?)

Population:
Population Pyramids - description/ explanation/future consequences
migration - voluntary/involuntary (optional?)

Rural:
Intensive Peasant Farming or Extensive Commercial? Main characteristics/ changes; safest to revise all three. (compulsory?)

Industry:
South Wales - old industry/ new industry/ Government and E.U policies (compulsory) OR map based question

Urban:
Named city in EMDC (glasgow for me) - recent changes to the CBD/ inner city e.g transport, retail, housing, buildings
OR map based question, identifying CBD and/or comparing different residential areas. (optional?)

What d'you think?

and has anyone got any suggestions for Paper 2, rural land resources and development and health?

Turned out to be a good guess. Most of those (or very similar anyway) came up :smile:
Reply 198
Thought it went ok overall. Paper 2 had really good questions for me.. if only we had an extra 5 minutes I would have managed to finish the last question which I actually knew. Paper 1.. hmm don't know what to think really. Didn't like the industry question and for some reason did atmosphere instead of lithosphere which I'm now regretting. Wont make a huge difference I guess. Would really like an A, based on my prelim I think that would shock a few people!
Reply 199
nice predictions eh!? haha... every seen like 100 students practically bow down to a teacher for thier greatness (:
only thing is i wish we could have had more time!!! i had to miss a full industry section in the first paper, and in the second a 10 mark question and half of another... RRR. hope it doesn't reflect badly (:

Latest

Trending

Trending