The Student Room Group

Worried about missing your offer? This is for you!

At this time of year many people worry a lot about whether they are going to make their offers. Some just have lost confidence, others are panicking about that exam that they are sure went really badly and can’t imagine how they will get the grades they need. This thread is for you :smile:

Extenuating Circumstances
If you have been ill or there have been other things going on in your life (eg bereavement) which may have affected either your revision or the exam itself, you should make sure that your school/college informs both the Exam Board and your firm/insurance unis well before Results are published. There is no guarantee that this information will be taken into account, but on the other hand it can’t be if the Exam Board/unis don’t have it in the first place. Bear in mind, however, that you are very likely to be expected to provide some documentary evidence of the issue, whatever it was.

If you have had a teaching disaster - wrong syllabus, absent/incompetent teachers - the school/college should be prepared to write to the unis concerned to inform them about it. Again, there's no guarantee the uni will take any notice, but it can be helpful.

I’m panicking – I don’t know enough/the work is going really badly/I don’t understand a key topic
Easy to say, but really important: stay calm. Freaking out is not a good strategy for exam preparation. However bad things may seem, unless you’ve been bone idle you certainly know more than you think you do, and you’ll be surprised how much surfaces when you need it in the exam.

Try and be organised in your approach to revision, but don’t beat yourself up if the timetable doesn’t work out quite like that. Most revision timetables are works of fiction worthy of the Booker Prize. If you are too distracted at home, go into school/college or a library and work there instead.

If there’s a topic you absolutely have to understand and you don’t, contact your teacher and ask for help. Don’t rely on your friends unless you are absolutely certain they know what they’re about :smile:

Don’t stay up all night on TSR; try not to sleep late in the mornings (yeah, yeah, I know) and make sure you get out for some fresh air every day. Try not to eat random rubbish; keep the fruit and veg and plenty of water going in, as this will help you to fend off the bugs and generally help you to cope with the stress better. Remember to take some plain water into the exam with you as your brain works better if you have enough fluid on board!

I’m sure I failed/won’t have got the grade I need
Whatever happened in yesterday’s exam, however disastrous you thought it was, don’t be distracted from the exams you still have to do. You are likely to have done better than you thought, and there will be very little more annoying than to find in August that it was the exams after the ‘disaster’ that actually let you down.

If I do miss my offer, what are the chances that my firm/insurance uni will let me in anyway?
No-one can say what your chances are. The higher ranked the university, and the more competitive the course, the more likely it will be that they won’t take you if you don’t meet your offer. HOWEVER this is not definite, by any means, even this year when it is being reported that unis are overwhelmed with too many applications for too few places. How true this really is going to be in practice remains to be seen.

Historically, many unis have accepted people who’ve missed their offers, even for competitive courses, so do not assume that all is lost. The only time when you will know for sure either way is on Results Day, so there is little to be gained by worrying about it now.

Scroll to see replies

Minerva
At this time of year many people worry a lot about whether they are going to make their offers. Some just have lost confidence, others are panicking about that exam that they are sure went really badly and can’t imagine how they will get the grades they need. This thread is for you :smile:

Extenuating Circumstances
If you have been ill or there have been other things going on in your life (eg bereavement) which may have affected either your revision or the exam itself, you should make sure that your school/college informs both the Exam Board and your firm/insurance unis well before Results are published. There is no guarantee that this information will be taken into account, but on the other hand it can’t be if the Exam Board/unis don’t have it in the first place. Bear in mind, however, that you are very likely to be expected to provide some documentary evidence of the issue, whatever it was.

How long before should the exam boards know? Is June 1st OK? (that's the date my school opens again)

I had chickenpox during Easter, and it went on for a month, though I'm still feeling some of the effects :frown:. Therefore I missed a lot of revision and school. Could I get extenuating circumstances?
And thanks for this, it's really helpful! Just what I needed before I start my revision today after yesterday's triple exam 'disaster'!
thanks for this ... !
Reply 4
Sorry...Alright...Well...
How long before should the exam boards know? Is June 1st OK? (that's the date my school opens again)

I had chickenpox during Easter, and it went on for a month, though I'm still feeling some of the effects :frown:. Therefore I missed a lot of revision and school. Could I get extenuating circumstances?
I would have thought 1st June would be fine; exams run on through into June and they'll know about half term, so don't worry.

Bad luck about the chicken pox - I got it just before an important exam myself and it ain't funny :smile:
Minerva
I would have thought 1st June would be fine; exams run on through into June and they'll know about half term, so don't worry.

Bad luck about the chicken pox - I got it just before an important exam myself and it ain't funny :smile:

Thanks so much for this information. I'm feeling so much better now!
Reply 6
Do family problems come under extenuating circumstances?

And when I mean family problems - I mean pretty serious ones. Serious enough to have them documented.

I don't want to 'use' my ill fate to my advantage. But I guess it MIGHT have affected me mentally. I don't know for sure, since I pretended to ignore what was going around...

I was just wondering since several others could be in the same situation.

Thank you.
Reply 7
Student#1
Do family problems come under extenuating circumstances?

And when I mean family problems - I mean pretty serious ones. Serious enough to have them documented.

I don't want to 'use' my ill fate to my advantage. But I guess it MIGHT have affected me mentally. I don't know for sure, since I pretended to ignore what was going around...

I was just wondering since several others could be in the same situation.

Thank you.
They certainly can do. Discuss it with someone at school who knows what's been happening and can make an impartial judgment about whether/how it's affected you.
Reply 8
:frown:

Totally missed my offer I'm sure. I couldn't do my french papers yesterday at all and everyone would've need to have failed for me to have passed :frown:

Great advice though :smile:
Reply 9
Thanks.

I'm most likely going to miss both my offers (AAA) cos I'm just stupid at maths...
Reply 10
popobabu
i got an offer from ucl law 666 on hl subjects with 38 on the IB. I think i might miss BnM by one point. Do you think i sill have a chance of getting in????
No-one can tell you. See the first post in this thread.
Reply 11
popobabu
My circumstances were unique, but not in the way you mentioned in your first post. Like, no one died in my family or anything, but this is what happened. I switched course from Chemistry standard level to Business standard level halfway though my first year of IB. About two weeks later, the business teacher left the school. For almost the rest of the year, we did not have classes or a teacher. Then our school got a new teacher almost at the end of the year, but she never taught business before, nor any other ib subject for that matter. In fact she never taught anything before, she was never a teacher. Then on top of this, I switched from standard level to higher level halfway though the second year of IB (in mid december). The hl syllabus is much harder and longer, and requires 90 extra hours of teaching, which i probably didnt get. To add to this, 2009 was a transitional year, so the syllabus and the exam was different from other years, and due to sickness I missed my school mock exam, so the first time i ever took the new exam was in the real ib. I only messed up on paper 1 (paper 2 and IA were at least 6's), but I messed up cus I was not used to the format of the new exam.
Wat do you think i should do? I tried calculating my score, and i think I will either barely get a 6 or get a very high 5, depending on the grade boundry. Please someone give me advice
Your school needs to confirm this information to the unis for which you are holding offers. Trying to calculate your score is not helpful so I wouldn't bother with that if I were you. Just do your best with any remaining exams and ask your school to write to the unis with the information you have provided here.

Extenuating circumstances does include teaching disasters like this, by the way.
Reply 12
popobabu
I can definately get my school to confirm this information. I already finished my exams an they all went well. Do you think that my case is strong enough that ucl will lower my conditional offer?
Oh and also, i take economics hl which is considered much harder than business, and i am 99% sure i got a 7 on it, so that be of help too?
The university probably won't lower your offer; what they are more likely to do is take this information into account in the event that you miss it. If you do very well on other subjects they may take that into account as well.
Reply 13
popobabu
Thanks a lot Minerva. Sorry if i am being a bit nerotic
You aren't alone! Try not to worry about it; these things have a habit of turning out for the best whatever happens in July/August -
Reply 14
popobabu
your probably right. On another note, do you happen to have any idea whether grade boundries go up/down when a particular ib course changes? (as with BnM and math this year)
It would make sense if they go down, but why would more people get lower overall grades??
None at all - I only understand A levels I'm afraid. You could try the IB forum...
Ok my insurance choice is BBB.

I am very worried as currently at AS I am on chemistry (B), physics (D) and maths (B).

If I got BBD at A2, do you think birmingham would consider taking me? Taking into account I suffer from fibromyalgia (which was all disclosed on my application) and my informal interview went very well.

I am only resitting one module in physics, because I resat the other two in january and it only brought my overall percentage up by 3% at AS... I'm just so rubbish at Physics, I really really struggle to understand any of it.

My real aim is to get ABC, Because I believe they would take me then....

Advice Please.
Sorry i can't be much help but i think you should just try as hard as you can to get your grades for the offer and then beg on results day if you miss it but it would look better to get ABC if you cant get BBB.
Good luck though i hope it all goes well =P
I missed mine by a grade. They still took me...

The fools.
Could I ask what your offer was and for what subject please?
pink_cait
Ok my insurance choice is BBB.

I am very worried as currently at AS I am on chemistry (B), physics (D) and maths (B).

If I got BBD at A2, do you think birmingham would consider taking me? Taking into account I suffer from fibromyalgia (which was all disclosed on my application) and my informal interview went very well.

I am only resitting one module in physics, because I resat the other two in january and it only brought my overall percentage up by 3% at AS... I'm just so rubbish at Physics, I really really struggle to understand any of it.

My real aim is to get ABC, Because I believe they would take me then....

Advice Please.

Birmingham seem to be lenient with grades so as long as your results are absolutely abysmal then hopefully you'll be fine :smile: Chemistry isn't exactly the most oversubscribed subject so that's another factor at your favour.

Latest

Trending

Trending