The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
i was at a private school from nusery until yr10 when it became state funded.so i suppose im at a state school
its rubbish though since it became a state school
Reply 41
ice_dragoness274
dchs? neva heard of it :no:

ahhh wicked!! for sixth form right?
loolll its just you said you were at a grammar school and theres practically none for girls in London, so yehh...and you seemed a lot like her for some reason ^_^

nah not for 6th form
we were gonna move there when i was in yr 6
i got a place there and all but moved somewhere else in the end
hence the dchs-ness =D
its further out of london than hbs

aah, i knew someone was copying my style :shifty:
Reply 42
Could someone explain what the difference is really? In NI I think we just have grammar schools and secondary schools, but I don't think either are private?
I failed all 11+ tests and entrance exams so I ended up in one of the worst state schools in London lol :mad: . It got closed down so I moved to a slightly better one but it's all ok now cos I go to a really good 6th form college. Parents didn't want me to go private (they couldn't afford it in the end) and I was a late bloomer. Still, at least I enjoyed beating up the posh gits from the private school nearby :yep: .
Reply 44
paulapie
Could someone explain what the difference is really? In NI I think we just have grammar schools and secondary schools, but I don't think either are private?

A private school is basically just a school you pay to go to. (I think thats it lol)
I went to a private school and enjoyed it.

I think a particular benefit is that you don't get the waster kids who disrupt lessons, get in the way, cause trouble etc. They generally don't go or are kicked out within a short time. I'm not saying those in private schools are well behaved, far from it, but they don't muck about so much in class and do things with intelligence and don't get caught as often.
Reply 46
CalicoP
A private school is basically just a school you pay to go to. (I think thats it lol)

Oh right, thanks :smile:
So then what's the difference between a state and a grammar?
Is grammar a school you don't pay to go to, but have to pass a test to get into?
I go to a state comprehensive, and they get better results than some of the private schools in the area. I'm sure if the secondary/grammar system existed in my area I would have liked to go to a grammar school at the time- but that system seems rather elitist to me. I think everyone gains a lot more in a comprehensive, even if, at pre-A level, there are 'wasters'!
State. Having been to state and grammar schools, and there was even a period where I was home schooled, I can easily say that my best education came from the state school. Though I do wish I'd had the oppotunity to go private ^^
Went to comprehensives for my entire life and it was crap, then went to a private school for A levels and it was awesome.
Always been at private and from since I was 11 I have been at boarding school, and I really enjoy it! x
A lot of priveleged people on TSR, it seems.

I hate private schools and everything they stand for.

State comprehensive myself.
paulapie
Oh right, thanks :smile:
So then what's the difference between a state and a grammar?
Is grammar a school you don't pay to go to, but have to pass a test to get into?

:yep:
grammars = state schools with tests
Reply 53
State school. I enjoy it more now that I'm in 6th form. The earlier years were awful :L.
sabka7
nah not for 6th form
we were gonna move there when i was in yr 6
i got a place there and all but moved somewhere else in the end
hence the dchs-ness =D
its further out of london than hbs

aah, i knew someone was copying my style :shifty:

ohh right I get it know!
ahh okay....but it is actually in london? It's probably too far out of the boundaries of North london for me to know bout it =).

lol...orrr you could be copying her style? :ninja:
Reply 55
*Looks at poll* :facepalm:
I've been privately educated all my life bar year 7 and 8 when my dad was made redundant.
Reply 57
ice_dragoness274
ohh right I get it know!
ahh okay....but it is actually in london? It's probably too far out of the boundaries of North london for me to know bout it =).

lol...orrr you could be copying her style? :ninja:

im not in in london, just outside the M25
but i like to keep it london on here to be discreet :ninja:
but id say its northwest of london, ever heard of rickmansworth/amersham?

and now thats just discretion gone out of the window, isnt it?! :rolleyes:

noo, lol, i meant the other saba must be copying my style because you said i sound like her
dont worry, ur style's safe...for now :wink:
comp all the time, isn't too bad, private would have been great for avoiding chavs mind.
Unsurprising results; I'd like to see some national statistics for this actually, but google is just too far away.

Latest

Trending

Trending