The Student Room Group

Is British culture too shallow?

My experiences of British 'culture' is that is very shallow and obsessed with looks etc. People are always obsessed with the next must-have, and girls dress only to impress guys rather than dressing to impress themselves. Children are growing up in a society where Islam threatens to take over, with a government more oppressive than Pol Pot's regime, and where we have too many speed cameras, among a plethora of other things. Is British culture therefore too shallow?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldn't say shallow.

I'd put it blunt, and say its currently sh*t.
Reply 2
Maybe. Be sure to vote!

(May I also request that you refrain from ending a sentence with "therefore", it's not quite right.)
Reply 3
mamooshka

(May I also request that you refrain from ending a sentence with "therefore", it's not quite right.)

Yeah ^

To the OP, it's like that everywhere.
jacombey
with a government more oppressive than Pol Pot's regime

wut. I didn't realise Gordon had killed a quarter of us yet?
i wouldn't say the british government are more opressive then pol pot haha....

i think people are swallow!
jacombey
My experiences of British 'culture' is that is very shallow and obsessed with looks etc. People are always obsessed with the next must-have, and girls dress only to impress guys rather than dressing to impress themselves. Children are growing up in a society where Islam threatens to take over, with a government more oppressive than Pol Pot's regime, and where we have too many speed cameras, among a plethora of other things. Is British culture too shallow therefore?

looks looks looks, methinks that you are the shallow one.
yeahhh i'd agree, i suppose. i wouldn't call what we have a 'culture' anyway since its hardly rooted in anything traditional apart from maybe the royal family. ask an american what comes to mind when they think of england and they'll probably say tea, jam, the queen and london.

but we're a highly modernised country with a prominent media and lots of money so i think our obsession with looks and the next must-have is pretty inescapable just like in America.

i disagree that our government's oppressive though, that's a bit dramatic. we give those MPs a dang hard time and i'd like to see most of the people who complain try and run this country ¬_¬

but i'll take up y'point about the speed cameras. we have next to no privacy anymore :/ nearly everything is caught on camera and if someone wants our details then they're not gunna have any trouble getting 'em.
Reply 8
Humanity is too shallow.
Reply 9
jacombey
My experiences of British 'culture' is that is very shallow and obsessed with looks etc. People are always obsessed with the next must-have, and girls dress only to impress guys rather than dressing to impress themselves. Children are growing up in a society where Islam threatens to take over, with a government more oppressive than Pol Pot's regime, and where we have too many speed cameras, among a plethora of other things. Is British culture too shallow therefore?

Some very tenuous links here, its a bit nonsensical. If anything, you're providing a classic example of what actually is the problem in Britain - a complete lack of understanding.
Reply 10
And you're all above it, with your peroxide hair and cleavage on show with the myspace camera angle?:P
whats with all the election posters everywhere? is there some kind of election on?
personally, I think America's worse in terms of 'fashion and society'
anisha.doshi
personally, I think America's worse in terms of 'fashion and society'

definitely, america is much worse than the UK.
I'd say materialism and our celebrity obsession is pretty shallow but it's better than the TB, rickets, cholera, malnutrition and stuff we had before.
jacombey
My experiences of British 'culture' is that is very shallow and obsessed with looks etc. People are always obsessed with the next must-have, and girls dress only to impress guys rather than dressing to impress themselves. Children are growing up in a society where Islam threatens to take over, with a government more oppressive than Pol Pot's regime, and where we have too many speed cameras, among a plethora of other things. Is British culture therefore too shallow?

Yeah, I don't get how this bit is related to dar questchun.
Shannaro!!! Definetly agree with everything you've just said.
Reply 17
jacombey

Hey! We're not all you y'know.
how is the labour government more oppressive than Pol Pot's regime? Are people being slaughtered because they won't vote for Gordon Brown, I think he'd like to rule this way, but the UK ain't ruled by a dictator yet!
Reply 19
jacombey
My experiences of British 'culture' is that is very shallow

girls dress only to impress guys

how can you keep starting these ridiculous threads when your profile picture is quite literally just you showing off your tits?

and what have speed cameras got to do with culture being shallow?

Latest

Trending

Trending