The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Well, Ive just finished 2nd year at glasgow so no clinical stuff yet but theres been basically no chemistry. The stuff there has been has been the overlapping aspect with biology (e.g. protein structure), but theres also biotech things (my friend said she learnt PCR in her highers..). But apart from that, not really.
The course is mainly Alevel biology but 1000x more complicated and hard! I mean, like adding to the relatively 'simple' stuff at A level, making you realise its much more complex than you'd ever thought before.
Egglet
Well, Ive just finished 2nd year at glasgow so no clinical stuff yet but theres been basically no chemistry. The stuff there has been has been the overlapping aspect with biology (e.g. protein structure), but theres also biotech things (my friend said she learnt PCR in her highers..). But apart from that, not really.
The course is mainly Alevel biology but 1000x more complicated and hard! I mean, like adding to the relatively 'simple' stuff at A level, making you realise its much more complex than you'd ever thought before.

As in polymerase chain reaction/dna amplification?

Bugger about the biology lol. I find it the hardest subject at A-level just due to the sheer volume that you have to learn.
Reply 22
VL86
Someone told me this too, although I think it's a v unhelpful thing to say - people wouldn't be able to get A's in the A2 modules it it was true!

I'm doing AS and A2 in a year this year... it's been crazyhard (last chem i did was double science GCSE in 2002), but I've survived, so you will too! Although I haven't had my grade yet, so that will be the teller...!

In one year? That's crazy! I could never do that. Chemistry is just not my forte. It doesn't help that I really don't like my teachers and they keep telling me I'm being ridiculous for wanting to be a vet because I'm not good enough.
Reply 23
Phoebe_Vet
As in polymerase chain reaction/dna amplification?

Bugger about the biology lol. I find it the hardest subject at A-level just due to the sheer volume that you have to learn.

Yep.
Oh and the people who are best off are people who did human physiology for the extra module, cos it helps with physiology too (scottish higher people hadnt done half the stuff Id done, e.g. muscles, nerves, the eye, etc.)

None of the A level stuff you can really compare to veterinary, its that hard, but it gives you a basic step of understanding that you can build on.
Reply 24
steph_v
In one year? That's crazy! I could never do that. Chemistry is just not my forte. It doesn't help that I really don't like my teachers and they keep telling me I'm being ridiculous for wanting to be a vet because I'm not good enough.

Don't listen to them!! I got told that I'd never get in by lots of people, and I ended up with four offers - just work your butt off and prove them all wrong! You can do it!! :smile:
VL86
Don't listen to them!! I got told that I'd never get in by lots of people, and I ended up with four offers - just work your butt off and prove them all wrong! You can do it!! :smile:

Yer, my teachers strongly suggested that I wouldn't get in. Don't listen, prove them wrong and then go wave your offers in their face :yep:
Reply 26
VL86

theparsniplady
Yer, my teachers strongly suggested that I wouldn't get in. Don't listen, prove them wrong and then go wave your offers in their face :yep:

I fully intend to prove them wrong :smile:
I work so hard, and I hope I can do it.
Reply 27
I was predicted a D in chemistry and proved them all wrong by getting an A!
Reply 28
Annaconda
i think A2 is easier too, cos you get used to what the questions are asking, and they seem relatively a lot easier. having said that i am retaking the first chemistry AS module (chemistry for life) and the content is all so basic. i can do a past paper and mark it in under an hour easily, when the exam is actually 1hr 15, so i guess its all relative.

What exam board do you do? I think A2 chemistry is a thousanddd times harder than AS. AS seems a breeze to what we did this year! I do AQA.
JennyB
What exam board do you do? I think A2 chemistry is a thousanddd times harder than AS. AS seems a breeze to what we did this year! I do AQA.

i do salters
Reply 30
Thank you :smile:
JennyB

I totally agree with you JennyB! I'm doing AQA too. Damn bloody transition metals with their million different colour changes with stupid specific colours like grey-green.....it's GREEN for gods sake!
Reply 32
Phoebe_Vet
I totally agree with you JennyB! I'm doing AQA too. Damn bloody transition metals with their million different colour changes with stupid specific colours like grey-green.....it's GREEN for gods sake!

omggg i am so with you!
I really really reallyyyyy dont care about every single metal's colours! i gave up with the specifics and just call everything 'green' or whatever. And if in doubt, i usually just say green anyway ha!
I dont understand how, knowing these colours, is remotely useful in anything?!! Fair enough wanting us to know which ones go with which ligands, but every single bloody colour change is not chemistry! its just a waste of time and a pain in the backside! haha rant over!
Reply 33
I've found that some of the colours contradict each other depending on which book you look at too - really helpful!!
VL86
I've found that some of the colours contradict each other depending on which book you look at too - really helpful!!

I know! What's with the whole blue-red chromium(aq) but seen as green..........huh??? Then other books call it green, then it's blue-green.......argh.
Annaconda
i think A2 is easier too, cos you get used to what the questions are asking, and they seem relatively a lot easier. having said that i am retaking the first chemistry AS module (chemistry for life) and the content is all so basic. i can do a past paper and mark it in under an hour easily, when the exam is actually 1hr 15, so i guess its all relative.

Just like me. A couple of months ago Chemistry was so difficult. I got all the work, it was just the learning aspect which wasn't working out for me. I LOVE Chemistry now. Best subject ever. I see it relating to everything I love, from health, to psychology, to biology to everything. Did I mention I love chemistry?
I'm also retaking AS Unit 1. Volumetric analysis is my one vice though :frown:
Reply 36
I see there is alot of love out there for Chemistry....

I AM ACTUALLY IN LOVE WITH IT :o:

<3 Chemistry :p:

I'm not too keen on the specification for chemistry, as it contains alot of maths :p:

I have even contemplated doing Chemistry at university, but obviously I prefer veterinary!

Latest

Trending

Trending