The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm sure the hard working ones work harder, and the lazy ones don't. There are a lot more of them in both categories, so it all evens out.
Reply 2
I'm only 17, but I have worked in two differerent places for extended periods of time already. From what I've observed in my few years of experience, out of every 3 workers, there is is at least 1 or 2 lazy people who only make an effort when the supervisor isn't looking. It's the other 1 or 2 workers that work extra hard. But consider that I don't have much experience and I have only worked in the tourism intustry (gas station and theme park). I don't know how it is in Britian but this will give you something to compare with.
Reply 3
The British work the longest hours in europe(iirc) but whether that is quality input is another matter.

I wouldn't say they are more studious either, the majority of americans i've met at uni have been 2 or 3 years older and so less interested in the average student life. Plus the undergraduate american degree is on a par with British A levels, hardly taxing.
Reply 4
It depends on so much but from the Americans I know and the Brits I know I'd say the Americans worked harder. This is just what I've seen though everyones different.
ok my view maybe a little one sided but here gos, iam 18 and i can say with a doubt that i have a hell of lot more work experience than most other ppl my age- why coz i have lived and work in hotels since i was 7 years old.

So were the tourist industry is concerned it doesnt matter what country your in it is bloody hard work and it is also a 24 7 job as well espaicaly if your parents are the owners. Also coz i have lived and work in hotels for 11 years i can say i have mat a far number of Americans all of which are some of the niceness ppl i have ever met and they all seem hard working and alround good ppl. weather they are more or less studious than us i have hered that there degrees can be worth less than Britians but i doent think that this impiles that americans are stupid i think is just there system work differently to ares.
Statistically, the Americans do work harder - longer hours and fewer holidays. Personally I think that's a bad thing, but hey.
Reply 7
Brits all the way!!! :biggrin: :tsr:
Reply 8
rah2
Plus the undergraduate american degree is on a par with British A levels, hardly taxing.

No it isn't.
not necessarily
If working harder means working longer then yes.
Reply 11
I think, upsidedown is right, Just my Opinion. I am a Ph.D student now working in UK, I have many classmates working as Ph.D in US. Everyday their American groupmate work very long, until 9 pm or later. I mean everyday. They just have one holiday everyweek. But Here, at 6 PM, major part of the British students have gone. They never work at weekend. I think in america, there are more competitions, so work harder. No offend. :smile:
Reply 12
if any1 thinks thatamerica is good then click this to see (u must play) :biggrin: :biggrin:

this is very funny

(not for weak hearted) :wink:
Reply 13
I personally think that Britons work harder and more than Americans.

Zain
The Americans probably work harder because of their less developed social welfare system. (Huge assumption.)
ThePants999
Statistically, the Americans do work harder - longer hours and fewer holidays. Personally I think that's a bad thing, but hey.

if i did not know the statistics, i would have said britions :biggrin:
Will
The Americans probably work harder because of their less developed social welfare system. (Huge assumption.)
Yes, and the ideas of self...Meh, can't think now. I have ideas about this.
freebies
I think, upsidedown is right, Just my Opinion. I am a Ph.D student now working in UK, I have many classmates working as Ph.D in US. Everyday their American groupmate work very long, until 9 pm or later. I mean everyday. They just have one holiday everyweek. But Here, at 6 PM, major part of the British students have gone. They never work at weekend. I think in america, there are more competitions, so work harder. No offend. :smile:

It's a bit pointless trying to compare a British PhD with an american one. The american system is more like a part-time PhD in the UK with students taking on significant teaching/research roles outside their research and also having in their first few years to sit assessed courses and take examinations.
Reply 18
freebies

Only the workaholics work that much. Most americans work 8 hours a day.
Reply 19
Americans took the work more seriosuly when i went to America. They were also more happy in there job too.

Latest

Trending

Trending