The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Sk1lLz
I think it's better than the other one...

I don't have the other one yet so I can't really compare, but I detest the Oxford Press one. :cry:
Reply 61
Draconis
I don't have the other one yet so I can't really compare, but I detest the Oxford Press one. :cry:

I got the other one today and I had a flick through and it's cluttered. However, they do show practically every single step of working which may be useful.

If you're self teaching then why didn't you look for another text book for FP1 if you hated this one?

Just curious.

EDIT: You get a CD aswell.
Reply 62
Sk1lLz
I got the other one today and I had a flick through and it's cluttered. However, they do show practically every single step of working which may be useful.

If you're self teaching then why didn't you look for another text book for FP1 if you hated this one?

Just curious.

EDIT: You get a CD aswell.

I started learning it last friday, and it was the only book my teacher had.. :p:
Reply 63
I have the Oxford and the Pearson one. The new Pearson book is way better as it's more organized and precisely gives you what you need to learn. The Oxford one is like using Solomon Papers to prepare for your exam, making it difficult, irrelevant and demotivating.

I just started preparing for FP1 the day before. Don't know if I can finish (still stuck on Complex numbers and Matrices, which are the only chapters I have attempted).
Reply 64
Very jealous of you guys doing the new syllabus.. Lucky bastards.
Reply 65
mituozo
Very jealous of you guys doing the new syllabus.. Lucky bastards.

Well look at it like this, we have harder FP2 and FP3 modules.
Reply 66
Fiasco

Not those of us only doing the AS :woo:

(I might actually end up doing the A2, but for now :woo:)
Reply 67
Fiasco

You don't. Your FP2 is easier than the current FP2. By a mile. The Edexcel A level in further maths has been made much easier. They've made FP3 harder, but you don't need to take FP3 to get an A level in further maths. Most of the current FP1 stuff that's hard has been moved to FP2, and the hard stuff from FP2 to FP3. The easy stuff from FP3 has then been moved into FP1. So they've made an A level in Further Maths (FP1, FP2 + 4 applied) much easier, so long as you avoid FP3.

I'm only taking the AS anyway.. :tongue:

It also takes the stress off in your A2 year when you're taking your hardest modules. Rather than having to worry about two hard modules (FP1 and FP2) you knock FP1 off a year before hand.
Reply 68
mituozo
You don't. Your FP2 is easier than the current FP2. By a mile. The Edexcel A level in further maths has been made much easier. They've made FP3 harder, but you don't need to take FP3 to get an A level in further maths. Most of the current FP1 stuff that's hard has been moved to FP2, and the hard stuff from FP2 to FP3. The easy stuff from FP3 has then been moved into FP1. So they've made an A level in Further Maths (FP1, FP2 + 4 applied) much easier, so long as you avoid FP3.

I'm only taking the AS anyway.. :tongue:

It also takes the stress off in your A2 year when you're taking your hardest modules. Rather than having to worry about two hard modules (FP1 and FP2) you knock FP1 off a year before hand.

There's a lot of debate and disagreement about what the hardest module is, and I don't agree that it has been made any harder or easier overall. FP1 is the easiest module, much easier than ordinary A2 maths; they have turned FP1 into an actual AS module. Having worked through P4+ and FP1-3 past paper questions (all old spec), you find a few easy complex number questions, easy proofs, easy matrices, but now those questions will not appear anymore as they are covered in FP1. So getting an A* has been made much harder, as you cannot rely on getting good marks in the easier modules. Has it made getting an A easier? possibly.

I'm also taking pretty much every module, though I haven't decided on whether to do M5, D1 and D2, but I will cover everything else (don't really fancy doing 9 modules next summer, and I hear M5 is a killer). So moving the topics around hasn't made anything easier for me...
Reply 69
Fiasco
There's a lot of debate and disagreement about what the hardest module is, and I don't agree that it has been made any harder or easier overall. FP1 is the easiest module, much easier than ordinary A2 maths; they have turned FP1 into an actual AS module. Having worked through P4+ and FP1-3 past paper questions (all old spec), you find a few easy complex number questions, easy proofs, easy matrices, but now those questions will not appear anymore as they are covered in FP1. So getting an A* has been made much harder, as you cannot rely on getting good marks in the easier modules. Has it made getting an A easier? possibly.

I'm also taking pretty much every module, though I haven't decided on whether to do M5, D1 and D2, but I will cover everything else (don't really fancy doing 9 modules next summer, and I hear M5 is a killer). So moving the topics around hasn't made anything easier for me...

Yeah if you're taking FP1->FP3 it doesn't make a difference. All I'm saying is that what it has done is devalued the current AS level in further maths (on edexcel), and possibly the whole A level in further maths providing FP3 is excluded.. Which is what has frustrated me. Looking at the new FP2 papers, most of it is stuff I've covered in FP1, plus some of the easier stuff that used to be in FP3.

FP1 is a module I've had to work hard towards, the new one is a complete and utter joke and my qualification is going to have exactly the same value as this new AS.
Reply 70
mituozo
Yeah if you're taking FP1->FP3 it doesn't make a difference. All I'm saying is that what it has done is devalued the current AS level in further maths (on edexcel), and possibly the whole A level in further maths providing FP3 is excluded.. Which is what has frustrated me. Looking at the new FP2 papers, most of it is stuff I've covered in FP1, plus some of the easier stuff that used to be in FP3.

FP1 is a module I've had to work hard towards, the new one is a complete and utter joke and my qualification is going to have exactly the same value as this new AS.

Yeah, fair enough.
Reply 71
mituozo

everyones just shifted around, so FP2 and FP3 is now much much harder, and we have A* level questions added in
Reply 72
neomilan
everyones just shifted around, so FP2 and FP3 is now much much harder, and we have A* level questions added in

No, FP2 is definately easier. FP1 is much easier. FP3 is much harder. Most people don't take FP3 anyway, you can just avoid it to get a full A2 in further maths.

What's an "A* level question"? The papers don't look like they have an "extra-hard" question added at the end or something. An A* is just 90% or above in all A2 modules.
Reply 73
mituozo
No, FP2 is definately easier. FP1 is much easier. FP3 is much harder. Most people don't take FP3 anyway, you can just avoid it to get a full A2 in further maths.

What's an "A* level question"? The papers don't look like they have an "extra-hard" question added at the end or something. An A* is just 90% or above in all A2 modules.

stretch and challenge questions have been put in all subjects, could also be maths but im not sure definitly in all other subjects, which you have to answer in order to get the A*
Reply 74
neomilan
stretch and challenge questions have been put in all subjects, could also be maths but im not sure definitly in all other subjects, which you have to answer in order to get the A*

Says who?

For maths nothing has changed, just need to get 90%+ in the A2 units. Most other subjects have new 'stretch and challenge' questions, though my understanding is that they're just synoptic questions.
Reply 75
neomilan

Yes, but not maths. At least I've not come across any looking at new papers, anyway.

They're just synoptic questions, in maths everythings synoptic anyway as if you don't understand the stuff lower down you're never gonna be able to solve complex de's etc.
The fact remains that it's the exam we're taking. I know people in the year above (doing the old syllabus F.Maths) who are retaking FP1 with me because it's easier, but we don't exactly have a choice which one to do...

And for an A*, it's just 90%, isn't it? What subjects are the 'stretch and challenge' questions in; I've never heard about them.
Reply 77
Reply 78
not that I've really tried it or anything, but that doesn't look too hard. no offence. Thats basically just your average FP1 paper as far as I can tell.
Reply 79
You won't get anything like question 2 - that's from C3 I believe which you won't be expected to know.

Latest

Trending

Trending