The Student Room Group

foundation always looks orange on me

i have pale skin and use the lightest foundation they sell, nude ivory,i think. but it still looks orange when compared to my white neck.
i didnt think makeup had much effect on me, but when i see others without makeup its quite shocking, so i want to wear make up.
but other peoples skin doesnt even have a tint of foundation colour, even though they obviously are wearing foundation.

in some lights it can look ok, if im not standin really close to the mirror, but in a room with alot of natural light, it just looks tinted orange and you can tell im wearing it

Scroll to see replies

I used to have this problem too!!

Try Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid foundation in Ivory - it's brilliant :smile:
I have that problem with cover sticks... I can't find one that's light enough for me.
Reply 3
Embrace the orange dude!
Why not get some huge hoop earrings too? They'll complete the chav look :biggrin:
I had this same problem! To make it look 'normal' you need to, first of all, dilute it with good moisturiser, about half and half mixture, blend it into your neck too. If it still looks too orange, or your face looks all one tone, buy a powder highlighter and use it just above the apples of your cheeks and on your nose.
It's all about imitating your skin's natural tone change, people with pale skin don't have pale skin all over their face, often their cheeks are slightly pinker, forehead and chin are lighter.

If you can apply foundation to the whole of the exposed area (depending on what you are wearing) then that's best as you don't get as much of a contrast. Likewise, don't cake it on, when it comes to foundation, less is often more!
Reply 5
I used to have this problem, but now use the Revlon Beyond Natural, and it doesn't go orange, as it goes on white. Best one I've had :smile:
Reply 6
Don't wear foundation. It doesn't look good in my opinion.
Reply 7
Montarnna
I used to have this problem, but now use the Revlon Beyond Natural, and it doesn't go orange, as it goes on white. Best one I've had :smile:

i have a foundation like that but it still goes orange when i rub it in :frown:
Reply 8
All the highstreet liquid foundations I tried were orange on me. I switched to Lily Lolo mineral foundation and it matches me perfectly.
Do you feel overwhelmed by the seemingly endless types of foundations that are now available? There's a foundation for pretty much any type of skin: sensitive, acne-prone, anti-aging, oily, dry, combination, radiant. It's hard to determine what type of foundation would be best for you skin type, but sometimes it's even harder to find You need to find a foudation that matches your skin color, sometimes you get a foundation that doesn't and it looks chalky, tangoed etc
Most people, even women of colour, either have a pink (cool) or yellow (warm) undertone. Determining your undertone is the perfect start in finding your perfect foundation.

1. Cool undertones:
a. Your skin appears rosy, pink, red, beige or brown in the sunlight.
b. Silver or gray colors make your skin look vibrant.
c. You skin burns easily.
d. Your best foundation color: porcelain or sandstone hued.

2. Warm undertones:
a. Your skin looks golden, yellowish, bronze or even a hint of green (olive skin) in the sunlight.
b. Gold colors make your skin look vibrant.
c. You tan easily and very rarely burn.
d. Your best foundation color: nude, creamy beige and pink.

3. Neutral undertones:
a. You have no obvious overtones of the above colors.
b. Your best foundation color: Ivory, honey or wheat can look good on almost anyone.
Once you have determined your skin's undertone, you can now start testing the right foundation color by dabbing a small amount onto your inner arm or wrist, which closely matches your face color. The foundation should look transparent or blend evenly with your skin tone.
You haven't got the right colour then =) Just because you have light skin doesn't mean you should go for hte lightest shade!
nicola from girls aloud does a range for fair skin !
it's called dainty doll & you can get it on ASOS.
i've never used it before but i have heard it's pretty good :biggrin:
Reply 12
There's already been some good advice here. I'll second the Lily Lolo recommendation! Like you, I'm very pale and quite often even the palest versions of a foundation can look orange on me.
As well as Lily Lolo, I also really like Avon's Personal Match tinted moisturiser - their lightest shade is excellent, and their middle shade is good for pale skins in summer. I intend to try Dainty Doll soon as well.
However, if you really wish to stick to high street, foundations that I've found to be good are No7 Essential Moisture, Max Factor Colour Adapt, and Max Factor Miracle Touch. Good luck :smile:
Reply 13
jimjomjam
Don't wear foundation. It doesn't look good in my opinion.

How does foundation not look good? :confused: If you're applying it properly it shouldn't look like you're wearing any at all, it should just make your skin look flawless.

OP, I'm very pale and Revlon Colorstay in Ivory is the perfect shade for me. Or Lily Lolo in Porcelain is even lighter.

I can't believe how pale the 'white' shade from Dainty Doll is! Has anyone actually tried it, it just looks like pure white to me. I've heard some bad reviews for Dainty Doll btw, I don't really like the look of the texture either, those kind of half mousse/half liquid foundations never work for me.
Are you applying/blending the foundation with your fingers? That's one cause of orangeness, the oils in your fingertips mix with the foundation and can turn it a slightly off-shade. Try using a foundation brush instead or a sponge - I wouldn't recommend anyone use fingers for foundation anyway, but this could certainly be your problem.

Otherwise I recommend Clinique for lighter shades of foundation, or go to MAC where they have different tones of each shade (warm/cool) and have more colours than you can shake a stick at.
To be honest, 90% of foundation orangeness comes down to how it has been applied. The more you use over a smaller area, the more orange you will look - as simple as. So if you want a more even look use as little as you can, and almost brush over the face instead of smearing it on. We're talking a tiny little blob and smuging it in rather than a large dollop or anything.
Reply 16
get tan in a can
Reply 17
If foundation looks orange or not quite right maybe u have orange lines I have found some great products;
Budget
N07 intelligent colour foundation comes in fair medium or dark its on sale at boots and the lady behind the counter will usually show you which one is right for you so you can see how it will look on your skin. It adusts to your natural skin tone whilst you apply it looks a little dark but once its on I never have any orange bits.
Spulge:
Dinair airbrush kit £199 foundation deluxe airbrush machine with 4 foundations. Can be purchased at Dinair.com has to be shipped from the US mine cost £168.00 inc express delivery arrived within 6 days. Also if you send a picture in for a colour match they will tell you which is the right colours for you from blush, shadow, foundation, brow.

With boots N07 intelligent colour at approx £10 there is no need to look orange any more. When you buy anything in Boots you get a £5 voucher which can be spent on N07 or Ruby & Millie so if you need anything else buy it first so you can use the voucher as part payment for your foundation. Most of the time if you spend more than £22.00 you will also recieve a free gift.
Reply 18
I would suggest you go to a make up counter and get them to test the colour on you before you buy.
Usually make up from the counters is more exspensive, but i personally think it is worth the money and you won't look orange. If you don't really need it you could use a concealer for the odd blemish instead?
Reply 19
I would suggest you go to a make up counter and get them to test the colour on you before you buy.
Usually make up from the counters is more exspensive, but i personally think it is worth the money and you won't look orange. If you don't really need it you could use a concealer for the odd blemish instead?

Quick Reply

Latest