The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
JammyP
Why not do medicine first time around if you know thats what you want to do though?

Because I am clever enough, motivated enough and have the potential to become a fantastic doctor -- however despite AAAA at AS (fingers crossed) my GCSEs are weak. Therefore I am planning on doing an undergraduate degree before medicine in order to demonstrate my academic ability before applying for graduate-entry medicine. I don't think I would get into medicine straight away but only because of my limited number of GCSEs -- I am a good candidate in other ways. I realise graduate-entry is more competitive but I also sincerely believe the only aspect of my application currently drawing me back is my GCSEs which will be less relevant after completing a degree. :smile:
Reply 21
lekky
Because I am clever enough, motivated enough and have the potential to become a fantastic doctor -- however despite AAAA at AS (fingers crossed) my GCSEs are weak. Therefore I am planning on doing an undergraduate degree before medicine in order to demonstrate my academic ability before applying for graduate-entry medicine. I don't think I would get into medicine straight away but only because of my limited number of GCSEs -- I am a good candidate in other ways. I realise graduate-entry is more competitive but I also sincerely believe the only aspect of my application currently drawing me back is my GCSEs which will be less relevant after completing a degree. :smile:

What did you get for your GCSEs? If you don't mind me asking.
Reply 22
ACDC
What did you get for your GCSEs? If you don't mind me asking.

A*AAAB. I have this summer retaken the B and should get A*. I was ill when doing my GCSEs, did one (A*, Eng Lang) before going into hospital. Spend the next year getting better and did two more (Eng Lit, A, maths, B). Then worked and did the other two the year after that (Chem & Bio --AA). I don't have physics though (major problem), but will be sitting physics in June 2010 after having self-taught it through a long distance learning course. I don't believe these are strong enough for medicine.
Reply 23
ACDC
Cheers for the reply.

I'm just thinking about grad-entry medicine as a back-up plan and I have to pick something as a fifth choice just incase I don't get in to any of the 4 Uni's I apply to for Med.

Why is grad-entry more expensive?

Well it is more expensive in the sense that you do two degrees rather than one.

I will end up with around £45,000 worth of student debt, also no loans for your fees so you have to pay for the first year yourself.
Reply 24
lekky

Doesn't seem like your academics are holding you back. How much work experience have you done and is it quality experience?

Graduate entry is less about your academic credentials to be honest mate, it is aimed at people who perhaps didn't think about medicine first time around. It is more about the reasons why you want to do medicine and also whether or not you would make a doctor. It is aimed at people who have some life experience to draw on and have had time to develop good people skills etc.
Reply 25
JammyP
Doesn't seem like your academics are holding you back. How much work experience have you done and is it quality experience?

Graduate entry is less about your academic credentials to be honest mate, it is aimed at people who perhaps didn't think about medicine first time around. It is more about the reasons why you want to do medicine and also whether or not you would make a doctor. It is aimed at people who have some life experience to draw on and have had time to develop good people skills etc.

I have all these things except for not wanting to do medicine first time around but I think I can explain why I wanted to do a undergraduate degree first.

I think my GCSEs would be a MASSIVE problem...

work experience
-- voluntary work at macmillan cancer support starting as soon as occ health and crb goes through
-- HCA interview end of july, hopefully if I get this I will be able to work part-time as a HCA through term time and full time during holidays.
-- working in charity shop (british heart foundation)
-- 1 week at a pharmacy
-- 1 week in various departments of a hospital
-- 1 week in a med research lab
-- 1 week in a GP surgery
-- 1 week at a hospice
-- just sent off application for mencap
-- experience with degenerative illness in close family members
-- would also include 1.5 years working part time (10-15 hours a week) in a cinema

also peer supporter at college (so level 2 listening and councelling skills), student council, set up the debates society at college, dance, level 1 british sign language (doing level 2 from sept), open water diving qualification, extended project award on malaria

Just seems like my application isn't particuarly great primarily due to GCSEs and I'm also worried about the UKCAT as my revision for it is not leaving me hopeful at all..... really don't want to end up with no where to go because I'm already going to be nearly 21 when I go to Uni as it is. if I was 18 I'd be completely up for a year out but I do want to have children sometime before I'm 30!
lekky

Have you emailed any med schools to ask them what they think you should do? Surely that would be a better idea than embarking on a degree you may not need t do....
Reply 27
theatrical
Have you emailed any med schools to ask them what they think you should do? Surely that would be a better idea than embarking on a degree you may not need t do....

Yeah I went to Glasgow open day and they said I should apply this year anyway get a letter from my doctor and from my school saying what I would have gottan if I hadn't been ill. not sure what to do now!! I'll see what Leicester say on Saturday.
Reply 28
lekky
Will a degree make them better?
Reply 29
Renal
Will a degree make them better?

Well they won't care as much when I've got a good degree from a good university. It also puts makes the time I've been well without a relapse longer, obv they don't want someone who will have to go into hospital half way through their medical course, but no university has said my past medical problems will be an issue at all -- have been better for 3 years-ish. I HAVE been told (done lots of phoning today hehe) that with a drs letter explaining medical problems & school referance giving predicted grades before illness & AAAA at AS -- everywhere said they would take this into consideration so it's not as if I don't stand a chance. I am just currently debating whether it's worth the risk, and if I had a first in a science degree from a good university I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't particuarly give one that I've got less GCSEs.
Reply 30
lekky
Well they won't care as much when I've got a good degree from a good university. It also puts makes the time I've been well without a relapse longer, obv they don't want someone who will have to go into hospital half way through their medical course, but no university has said my past medical problems will be an issue at all -- have been better for 3 years-ish. I HAVE been told (done lots of phoning today hehe) that with a drs letter explaining medical problems & school referance giving predicted grades before illness & AAAA at AS -- everywhere said they would take this into consideration so it's not as if I don't stand a chance. I am just currently debating whether it's worth the risk, and if I had a first in a science degree from a good university I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't particuarly give one that I've got less GCSEs.
If that's an accurate representation of the medical school's thinking I wouldn't have thought your GCSEs would be a problem in the first place.
Reply 31
Renal
If that's an accurate representation of the medical school's thinking I wouldn't have thought your GCSEs would be a problem in the first place.

I know I'm just trying to convince myself that medical schools are not going to be lying to me -- if they say they will defintley consider my application, they will consider my application... I don't know I've been plodding along for so long with the belief I don't stand a chance and will have to do a degree first, so it's kind of overwhelming to think I actually do! In a fantastic way, of course.
Human and Medical Science?
lekky
I am just currently debating whether it's worth the risk.

What risk? The risk of gap year? One year is hardly a big deal, and you can use the 5th UCAS choice for a non-medicine choice anyway, which you'll most likely get into.

lekky
..and if I had a first in a science degree from a good university

Far far easier said than done. Science degrees are very hard - the final year of my first degree was much more conceptually difficult than anything I've done in pre-clinical medicine.
Reply 34
theatrical
What risk? The risk of gap year? One year is hardly a big deal, and you can use the 5th UCAS choice for a non-medicine choice anyway, which you'll most likely get into.

Far far easier said than done. Science degrees are very hard - the final year of my first degree was much more conceptually difficult than anything I've done in pre-clinical medicine.

I understand that science degrees are very hard but I also know I'm pretty clever and prepared to work very, very hard to get where I want to be.

I'd be pretty devastated if I had to take a gap year. If I was 18 I would voluntarily take a gap year but I just hate the idea of being another year older than everyone else, another year older when I get into a career and another year older when I'm financially secure and secure in my career to start having children. Yeah I plan way too in advance!

But if you read my previous posts I have almost certainly decided to apply for medicine straight away. EEEeee how exciting :biggrin: (Is it weird to be excited about that!? Haha, everyone else I know is crapping themselves, I just can't wait!)
lekky
If I was 18 I would voluntarily take a gap year but I just hate the idea of being another year older than everyone else, another year older when I get into a career and another year older when I'm financially secure and secure in my career to start having children. Yeah I plan way too in advance!
But imagine how old you'd be if you did Grad Entry Med :wink: I'm glad you've decided to apply first time round - good choice :smile:
Reply 36
booraad
Neuroscience

Where can you study this? Please could you send me a link or two?
Thankyou
Reply 37
IQ Test
Where can you study this? Please could you send me a link or two?
Thankyou
ucas.ac.uk
Reply 38
I wouldn't think that any university would be too bothered with what degree you had taken, as long as it had some biological/chemical relevance. For example, I've met a Sheffield grad student with a degree in Zoology. It isn't the most generic route into medicial school, but he enjoyed his degree. And I'm 99.99% sure that you'll perform better in a degree that you enjoy.

For example, if I don't get into medicine, I'll be taking a pharmacology degree. Not because I see it as the easiest route into medicine, but because I have a genuine interest in knowing how drugs work within the body. Also, if I chose not to study medicine, I would have a degree would allow me to enter other areas of science, such as the pharmaceutical industry.

So, in conclusion, do something YOU enjoy. Not a degree where you spend three/four years completing for the sake of hoping to get into medicial school.
Reply 39
You could always do a year in industry if you get the grades but no offers to medicine, that way you've got more life experience and you can work in something that is suited for medicine degree, thats what my friend is doing and am p-retty certain he's going to get 4 A's. The only reason he didn't get an offer was due to a poor UKCAT score an a small amount of work experience.

Latest

Trending

Trending