The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ok, about me doin 17 gcses, its not 17 different subjects! thats madness!!
i get 3 for technology because i do 1 resistant materials and 2 manufacturing
science i get 4 , core, bio, chem, phys
eng is 2
so it tots up
Reply 41
Domo-Kun
ok, about me doin 17 gcses, its not 17 different subjects! thats madness!!
i get 3 for technology because i do 1 resistant materials and 2 manufacturing
science i get 4 , core, bio, chem, phys
eng is 2
so it tots up

Wow. My design tech was only one (just resistant materials), my english was 2, and science only 2 (core and additional)
Reply 42
Palladio
So you must take examinations in something to prove you're interested in the subject? I've got loads of interests which I've read into at advanced levels and not sat exams for. Noone is saying you shouldn't take extra GCSES if you want to but just commenting that it isn't necessary, and in a way, it isn't. I think apart from interest, it's also down to competitiveness and wanting to do more than others, if I'm honest.

I didn't say you have to take an exam to have an interest.

I said having an interest is a good reason to take an exam.
Reply 43
fubsadoo
I didn't say you have to take an exam to have an interest.

I said having an interest is a good reason to take an exam.

Whatever, I'm not here to carry on the argument which is clearly circular... I didn't imply you said that an exam must be taken for each interest but you strongly suggest so - 'you should do them because you enjoy them and find them interesting'. I simply stated my opinion that you can have a lot of interests without having to worry about exams/revising around them.
Reply 44
Palladio
Whatever, I'm not here to carry on the argument which is clearly circular... I didn't imply you said that an exam must be taken for each interest but you strongly suggest so - 'you should do them because you enjoy them and find them interesting'. I simply stated my opinion that you can have a lot of interests without having to worry about exams/revising around them.

There is a huge difference between these two statements:

If you are taking an extra subject, it should be because you enjoy it.
If you enjoy something, you should take an exam in it.

I am saying the first and you appear to be interpreting it as the second. I would never say the second, that's retarded.
Reply 45
fubsadoo, I don't particulary care anymore... the statements are different, well done. The first statement too is retarded for the record as who would take a subject *extra* that they didn't enjoy? My idea is that you can enjoy MORE things but not need to worry about doing exams around them to PROVE that you enjoy them and know a bit around them.
Reply 46
supercoolfred
Some schools do GCSEs starting in year 9, finishing in year 11. In these schools I'm sure some people do 14 to keep themselves busy.

yup!! three years don't really help its just a waste of time. My school has three year GCSE course and half the school populations drops out after year 8
I'm doing about 17 GCSE's, including double award ones and BTEC courses. :yep:

I don't know my grades as of yet, I'll see on results day. :wink:
Reply 48
I did 10 GCSEs and a GNVQ in Information Communication Technology. This is supposed to be the equivelent of 4 GCSEs, but doubt that it is perceived as such.

Shaun
Domo-Kun
im doin 17!!!
Its cos our school is crap and they need to meet a quota of grades, so every remotely clever person is given loadsa gcses, as a normal school would have 5-6 sets, mine has 14!!!

WOWW, How do you manage that?
What Subjects And Stuff?
O.o I did 14? Although I flopped one or two of them. I was forced into it by my school... I didn't have much choice. Loads of people did 15/16 at my school aha. I didn't know this was an abnormal thing?
Reply 51
I did 13. Though 2 of those were IT, which is a bit of a cheat, really. I did three more than the school requires, because I took Statistics in year 10, did a GCSE in each science rather than Applied Science and I did full course RE in addition to history.

I got 11A*s, an A and a B :smile:

But I think that it's a bit unfair to suggest people who do well have no life. They do msot of the time, I think.
Oh god who actually cares. XD

There is a life outside of school and GCSE's are a pretty rubbish way of testing intelligence, hense why all the doctors who just know how to pass exams never turn out to be the best ones.

Edit: I'd also add that GCSE's do not matter at all as long as you get a C in Maths and English. I have done work experience in many places and everyone I've spoken to says the same thing; employers (who I have spoken to) do not care how many GCSE's you have done or what you got in them.

It's not even about A levels. As long as you get good enough A levels to get a good degree then you're set. Even then they told me that a degree is just a very small line in your CV.

So haha to those who have no life trying to do 10000 GCSE's.
Reply 53
snawkie
Oh god who actually cares. XD

There is a life outside of school and GCSE's are a pretty rubbish way of testing intelligence, hense why all the doctors who just know how to pass exams never turn out to be the best ones.

Edit: I'd also add that GCSE's do not matter at all as long as you get a C in Maths and English. I have done work experience in many places and everyone I've spoken to says the same thing; employers (who I have spoken to) do not care how many GCSE's you have done or what you got in them.

It's not even about A levels. As long as you get good enough A levels to get a good degree then you're set. Even then they told me that a degree is just a very small line in your CV.

So haha to those who have no life trying to do 10000 GCSE's.

Nothing in the current curriculum tests intelligence :biggrin:
IGX_RSV2
Nothing in the current curriculum tests intelligence :biggrin:

Hahaha! So true!!! XD
Reply 55
I've taken 17 GCSE's, I'm only expecting B's though.
Reply 56
I think counting GCSE equivilents I've done upwards of about 17. I got 4 and a half GCSEs (inc. equivilents) from one subject.
I've done three in english, three in science, two in maths...
Its ridiculous! I started doing them in year 9! I didn't have too much of a problem (not got results yet :/)
but it is stupid.
Tallulah_
I think counting GCSE equivilents I've done upwards of about 17. I got 4 and a half GCSEs (inc. equivilents) from one subject.
I've done three in english, three in science, two in maths...
Its ridiculous! I started doing them in year 9! I didn't have too much of a problem (not got results yet :/)
but it is stupid.

Three in English? :lolwut: I thought there was only two:

*English Language
*English Literature
*???

What's the third called?
Reply 58
im so academic
Three in English? :lolwut: I thought there was only two:

*English Language
*English Literature
*???

What's the third called?

Well it's not english specifically, more like media studies lol.
We just did it in english lessons because I was fast tracked:o:
I got a crap grade considering lol.
Tallulah_
Well it's not english specifically, more like media studies lol.
We just did it in english lessons because I was fast tracked:o:
I got a crap grade considering lol.

Oh.

FYI, media studies DEFINITELY doesn't count as an English. :mmm:

I'm guessing you're with AQA?

Latest