The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sarsi
Also the grade boundaries for further maths are higher than maths. e.g. for an A in D1 it could be 64/75 rather than 60/75(80%). This is because less people do FM and the scoring for each candidate is higher.

No they aren't, the grade boundaries are decided in exactly the same way as any other exams - aim to make it so an A is 80%, B is 70% etc but if candidates respond particularly good/bad move them up/down a bit.

Also for modules like D1 which can go in either Maths or Further Maths, it's exactly the same paper/exam...
Reply 61
Well, I don't really want to give any of them up, and I can be pretty committed when I want to so I guess I'm going to do 5 A levels (unless I really don't like one of the subjects).

trust me now, you do not know how difficult your AS year is, i know someone else would have said this but GCSEs are easier than ASs,
i might be doing 5 (still unsure, will decide after results) and i can tell you now that subjects change over time, i absolutely loved chemistry at the start of this year probably more than my others but that changed and now i still like it but less than the others,
if you want to do maths at university i recommend you do history but reconsider gov.pol or atleast do it to AS-level and do something more mathsy in the A2 year, you won't make any sense of it now but for maths the top universities want extra exams like STEP and possibly AEA maths. you could possibly even do further add. maths to AS-level (if you think you are determined to do maths then why not),
the fact you are considering gov.pol and philosophy suggests to me that you may find later on PPE to be the degree you want to do and you may want to research this degree now rather than later (economics at university is similar to a-level maths with some writing thrown in)
Reply 62
fubsadoo
Sounds like bits of Citizenship GCSE taken to A Level. I hope it gets a hell of a lot better than that was. :smile:

Hopefully it's nothing like citizenship, because I hated it! :smile:
Hopefully it's nothing like citizenship, because I hated it! :smile:

Politics is nothing like Citizenship-I can tell you that after completing it at AS level. Anyone who has said it is "soft" and disrespected is lying, and although it's not quite as respected as much as History, my friends who take both say it's a similar difficulty, so there you go. There's a guy in my class who takes Maths, FM, Physics and then Politics and he says he finds it a nice contrast to all his mathsy stuff all the time. I think everyone in our class is keeping it next year, goes to show how enjoyable it is :smile:
Reply 64
MewMachine
Politics is nothing like Citizenship-I can tell you that after completing it at AS level. Anyone who has said it is "soft" and disrespected is lying, and although it's not quite as respected as much as History, my friends who take both say it's a similar difficulty, so there you go. There's a guy in my class who takes Maths, FM, Physics and then Politics and he says he finds it a nice contrast to all his mathsy stuff all the time. I think everyone in our class is keeping it next year, goes to show how enjoyable it is :smile:

Oh good, I was beginning to get worried about taking government and politics. Thanks for the reassurance :yes:
Oh good, I was beginning to get worried about taking government and politics. Thanks for the reassurance :yes:

No problemo. :smile: If you need any help with it, just send me a message. Infact I'm quite annoyed with people who've said it's not worth taking. You want to take it and you seem dedicated to your subjects. People I have known who've taken 5 including Maths and FM have coped perfectly okay, and you will if you just keep on top of things. You can drop one after AS anyway :smile:
Reply 66
MewMachine
No problemo. :smile: If you need any help with it, just send me a message. Infact I'm quite annoyed with people who've said it's not worth taking. You want to take it and you seem dedicated to your subjects. People I have known who've taken 5 including Maths and FM have coped perfectly okay, and you will if you just keep on top of things. You can drop one after AS anyway :smile:

Thanks, though you might regret the offer to help me in the next couple of months :p:
Reply 67
I want to do medicine at uni, and am currently taking Maths, Further Maths, Chem, Bio and Psychology. Am finding it a bit hard, and thinking of dropping one. Everyone is saying to me that I will only need 3 good A Levels to get into uni. What do you guys reckon. Regardless I think I would only do Psychology to AS anyway. So is it going to make much difference whether I have Further Maths aswell? Should I try really hard and stick at it, or drop it and do well at normal Maths A Level. Obviously I have to keep Chem and Bio for two years.
Thankyou very much guys, Im so confused! Quote me pretty please (:
Which modules would people recommend for MEI A2 Further Maths? (aside from M1, M2, S1, S2)

Latest