The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

(-:*UCAS*IS*SENT*:-)
:lolwut:

They look at your lowest score and rank you on that basis.

An average of 540 means that the lowest section must have been...not something they would like.

Everyone says that, however they don't
omjaikali
You don't need high UKCAT for Leicester

leicester scores, academic criteria, P.S, reference and ukcat out of 5 each (20 in total) getting 700 will get you 5 points in the ukcat section, getting 600 will get you 4 points etc etc. but getting low doesn't mean you will be rejected, the ukcat is important but if your other attributes are amazing the ukkcat wont do much. last year you needed a 16/20 to get an interview, so you could have gotten a 1/5 in the ukcat section and still get an interview (then the interview its self is scored on different attributes, its not a simple yes or no decision). but what if your other attributes weren't that good, the ukcat could be the only thing that help you out. this is the advantage/disadvantage of a strict scoring system, getting the absolute minimum an you have a chance, but get an amazingly high over the minimum (except for unis that score individual grades) wont make much of a difference, you wont be given as much preference as you deserve compared to a uni that gives a score to each of your grades., also getting a bit under the minimum and your screwed :frown:
ScrubZ
Yeah simple really, you've got a good application (bar UKCAT) so just go for unis that don't require it: Lpool, Bristol, UCL, Imperial..etc

if you really don't want to go to any that don't require the UKCAT go for a gap year and practice practice practice the UKCAT!!

ye but thats not completely necessary I mean threes only so much practice you can do, everyone who does it already has the skills, all the practice does, is teach the person how to recall those skills when needed and in a quick time. a max of a month is needed, and some go in who have just practiced for a couple of days and come out with amazing scores,

I'd definitely think of changing at least 1 of the options to one that doesnt require the ukcat, or apply to ones that ask for it but dont use it to the extent as others (some just want you to take it, some state how much of a percentage its worth, and ive seen some low percentages.

by the way i'm not trying to insult your opinion, just stating their are other options, taking a gap year may effect his/her chances, it must be checked first whether unis are alright with excepting gap year students as not all of them do
Reply 383
CHILLIN-DRAGON
ye but thats not completely necessary I mean threes only so much practice you can do, everyone who does it already has the skills, all the practice does, is teach the person how to recall those skills when needed and in a quick time. a max of a month is needed, and some go in who have just practiced for a couple of days and come out with amazing scores,

I'd definitely think of changing at least 1 of the options to one that doesnt require the ukcat, or apply to ones that ask for it but dont use it to the extent as others (some just want you to take it, some state how much of a percentage its worth, and ive seen some low percentages.

by the way i'm not trying to insult your opinion, just stating their are other options, taking a gap year may effect his/her chances, it must be checked first whether unis are alright with excepting gap year students as not all of them do

I'd say UKCAT is a lot to do with luck buttt (esp. verbal reasoning section) with practice your score will definitely improve. And for QR, practice will help you spot the easy questions from the hard and so you'll know which ones you'll have time to work out then go back to the 'harder' ones you guessed (if you have time) at the end, cos there's no way you have time to work out all the questions!!

Also sure practice will help for AR so you'll know what kind of things to look out for, cos again there's no way you have time to work them all out!

But you are right loads of people hardly prepare at all and come out with amazing scores!! Could be that they're naturally clever but I reckon it's mostly luck!!

I think she/he will have to change Durham and Nottingham definitely cos they put a lot of emphasis on UKCAT (esp. Durham) dno bout Peninsula and Edinburgh.

Also fair point about gap year, some unis don't like re-applicants if they've applied to the same uni the year before. Gotta think carefully!
_Andrew_
Everyone says that, however they don't

http://www.le.ac.uk/sm/le/a100/index.html

Says it right there, on the site.

The all above '400' = 2 systems is exactly the same as the 'lowest score above 400', so if your lowest score is
400- you get 2 points
500- you get 3
600- you get 4
700- you get 5
Hippysnake

http://www.le.ac.uk/sm/le/a100/index.html
Says it right there, on the site.

The all above '400' = 2 systems is exactly the same as the 'lowest score above 400', so if your lowest score is
400- you get 2 points
500- you get 3
600- you get 4
700- you get 5

Point taken, I was originally under the understanding that it was just a mean average. I actually find that system so annoying, as I scored in the 700's for verbal and DA, 690 for Quantitative and then bloody 530 for abstract:frown:
rohmana
they dont consider it too much

ow really thats good because i only got 585 :mad:
Reply 387
hi guys you know quite alot about unis. I am predicted 3 As at A'level and I only got 615 avg. in my UKCAT (560 lowest mark) I'm applying for dundee, aberdeen, manchester and keele. Can I have some advice please.

GCSE: 1A*,4As,2Bs,2Cs and 2Ds
ihateusernames
wow thanks any other advice you would give on which universities? ive been frantically emailling all the unis i wanna go for i really hoped my ukcat would be good cos i know my acedemic skills arent great compared to ppl who got all A*'s. at the moment im really doubting whether i will get even 1 interview :frown: let alone an offer

i read somewhere tho tht some medical schools enter clearing which shocked me :eek: is this true because i thought they had a waiting list thingy for ppl who did well in interview but didnt get an offer

oh and does anyone know the ratio of applicants to places for some uni's (just curious really dont care which ones)

Have a look at http://www.ukmedicalschools.com/ and then at 'med schools' (although you'll need to make an account). That's really useful for ratios.
2 universities supposedly enter clearing - Cambridge and Barts. I don't know if they have recently, but that's what it says on the UK Medical Schools website. I don't know how it works - maybe they enter clearing as a last resort?
What about SGUL? Providing you have sat the UKCAT, got an average of A in your top 8 GCSEs (amongst other things like predictions of AAA - check the website) you'll be called for interview. What universities have you emailed?
ScrubZ
I'd say UKCAT is a lot to do with luck buttt (esp. verbal reasoning section) with practice your score will definitely improve. And for QR, practice will help you spot the easy questions from the hard and so you'll know which ones you'll have time to work out then go back to the 'harder' ones you guessed (if you have time) at the end, cos there's no way you have time to work out all the questions!!

Also sure practice will help for AR so you'll know what kind of things to look out for, cos again there's no way you have time to work them all out!

But you are right loads of people hardly prepare at all and come out with amazing scores!! Could be that they're naturally clever but I reckon it's mostly luck!!

I think she/he will have to change Durham and Nottingham definitely cos they put a lot of emphasis on UKCAT (esp. Durham) dno bout Peninsula and Edinburgh.

Also fair point about gap year, some unis don't like re-applicants if they've applied to the same uni the year before. Gotta think carefully!

you are right luck does have a lot to do with it, especially if someone is running out of time, and guesses the answers. In my opinion as long as you know what to expect, by a bit of practice, anymore wont have that much of an effect. like for the abstract one, if you remember the points to look for (is it symmetrical, curved etc) and apply it to every question, threres not much more you can do. as for the quantitative one, your a 100% right, practicing does teach you to recognize the easy ones from the hard ones, but really thats all it does, it doesn't develop the skills needed as most people entering should already have those skills (e.g percentages, factions.)the verbal reasoning one is a bit odd, theres really only one rule to follow"dont use any previous knowledge", other then that it depends on how well you interpret a piece of text, whether you can quickly realize if something merely implied or is actual fact (this varies among people). and as for the code section (forgot whats its called) you just really have to practice how to manipulate the same words into many different things, (e.g if the code comes out as "opposite,decrease,people) this can be interpreted as an "increase of people" (opposite of decrease is increase) of "many people" or "a lot of people" so it may be really obvious (like the first one) or slightly less obvious like the others.

but i definitely agree that luck can help quite a bit, unless you time management is perfect, your gonna be guessing some answers (there isnt any negative marking) , so imagine if you got the majority of your guesses right, you have got a 25% of getting an answer right in a guess (except for the coded section, as it WILL state that for some sections 2 answers are needed, this WILL be stated in the individual section)
Hippysnake
Do you want RAEP!?
I owe the following people RAEP.

Spoiler:
Get_cape_rape_cape_fly
rape_by_rape
rape876
alexrape 123

What.the.hell. :hmmm:
I can tell who they are :awesome: but whyyyyyyyyyy?
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
What.the.hell. :hmmm:
I can tell who they are :awesome: but whyyyyyyyyyy?

raep is just my way of saying "You're awesome."
HIYA!

Can anyone tell me about the whiteboard that you are given??

There's a bit of confusionn on whether your given a digital wtboard or a piece of a4 paper (no rubbing off), or a real wt board ( no rubbing off)

Cheers (:smile:)
appletree_1
HIYA!

Can anyone tell me about the whiteboard that you are given??

There's a bit of confusionn on whether your given a digital wtboard or a piece of a4 paper (no rubbing off), or a real wt board ( no rubbing off)

Cheers (:smile:)

They gave me this plastic sheet that writes on like a white board, but you're given a permanent marker so you can't rub anything off.

If you run out of space you're supposed to ask for another sheet, but it's double-sided and you won't really need more than a single side :s-smilie: If you're writing more than that you might run out of time :s-smilie:

They gave me this plastic sheet that writes on like a white board, but you're given a permanent marker so you can't rub anything off.

If you run out of space you're supposed to ask for another sheet, but it's double-sided and you won't really need more than a single side If you're writing more than that you might run out of time

i see i see,

are you sure about the part about 'asking for more'?

Im working on the 600q book and the QR section is insanely difficult, not to mention time.
Im working on maybe several pieces of paper for the QR section. Id be real stuck if i run out of paper!
felt_monkey
Have a look at http://www.ukmedicalschools.com/ and then at 'med schools' (although you'll need to make an account). That's really useful for ratios.
2 universities supposedly enter clearing - Cambridge and Barts. I don't know if they have recently, but that's what it says on the UK Medical Schools website. I don't know how it works - maybe they enter clearing as a last resort?
What about SGUL? Providing you have sat the UKCAT, got an average of A in your top 8 GCSEs (amongst other things like predictions of AAA - check the website) you'll be called for interview. What universities have you emailed?

cambridge...lol no chance of that besides for barts my ukcat score is too low

i do qualify for sgul but dont they look at ukcat? and im not sure because although i will get AAA and B (cos im doing 4 ) my third A will be in media and some unis dont accept that the B is in English so im not sure still
Hi all prospective med students :smile: Another little dilemma here, just wondering if anyone could give me some advice!
Well my college say that I have to submit the UCAS form tomorrow (eek) and I am still undecided on a 4th medical school.
My UKCAT is 670, I'm happy with this score but many of my teachers have been saying things along the lines of "hmmm...670...well...pretty average isn't it..." (which does nothing for my confidence lol)
Anyway I am interested in Sheffield. Would you apply to Sheffield with my UKCAT score? I know people say that there's a 'cut off' of 670 but I emailed them and they deny it... Just wanted to know other people's views as i am quite undecided about whether it is too risky. (Especially when my top three choices are oxford, birmingham and st.andrews!!) The alternatives to Sheffield would be Cardiff or Liverpool.
I have top grades in all the academic stuff, and I think i have a strong personal statement.
Apologies for the whiney/wordy post!
xx
Reply 397
is dundee hard to get into? (i have 3As predicted at A-level) UKCAT avg. =615 :frown:
appletree_1
i see i see,

are you sure about the part about 'asking for more'?

Im working on the 600q book and the QR section is insanely difficult, not to mention time.
Im working on maybe several pieces of paper for the QR section. Id be real stuck if i run out of paper!

Well they told me to raise my hand if I needed more but it's a waste of time doing that really :s-smilie:

If you think you won't have enough room then I'd work on writing less (it uses up your time anyway, having to move from the sheet/marker to the calculator so often), or just writing smaller (but still legibly) :smile:

aliceprimavera

Spoiler

I'm not sure about the truth behind the UKCAT cut-offs for Sheffield, but (assuming it's true) considering that the "cut-offs" for the previous two years were 670 and 675, I would think it's too much of a risk unless you really badly want to go there. Your top grades and academics, PS might off-set the cut-off, but who knows, really? :dontknow:

mzahid6
is dundee hard to get into? (i have 3As predicted at A-level) UKCAT avg. =615 :frown:

Every medical school is hard to get into.

With that said, your UKCAT is fine. Make sure you have a strong PS :smile:

"Dundee University Medical School requires applicants to sit the UK clinical aptitude test (UKCAT) which will contribute a small amount to the selection process."
ihateusernames
cambridge...lol no chance of that besides for barts my ukcat score is too low

i do qualify for sgul but dont they look at ukcat? and im not sure because although i will get AAA and B (cos im doing 4 ) my third A will be in media and some unis dont accept that the B is in English so im not sure still

SGUL don't really care about the UKCAT. Providing you've taken it you're fine, as (nearly) everything is down to your interview. The only subject they exclude is General Studies, so providing media studies is a predicted A and you have biology and chemistry, it's fine :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending