Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Aaaah I did my UKCAT on Thursday and it didnt get too well =(
my scores were :
VR 430
QR 590
AR 560
DA 580
With an average of 540...I know its an extremely low UKCAT.
My gcse results were 5 A*s 4 As and 2 disctintions in ICT DiDa...
My AS level grades were ABBC
I know my AS level do not meet minimum requirments of AAAb...and my UKCAT is really bad...but I want to study Medicine more than anything...But I know my chances are low....So far my choices are
Bristol...Keele...UCL (counting on BMAT) and the 4th is undecided...
Any advice...
Reply 581
Nash24
Aaaah I did my UKCAT on Thursday and it didnt get too well =(
my scores were :
VR 430
QR 590
AR 560
DA 580
With an average of 540...I know its an extremely low UKCAT.
My gcse results were 5 A*s 4 As and 2 disctintions in ICT DiDa...
My AS level grades were ABBC
I know my AS level do not meet minimum requirments of AAAb...and my UKCAT is really bad...but I want to study Medicine more than anything...But I know my chances are low....So far my choices are
Bristol...Keele...UCL (counting on BMAT) and the 4th is undecided...
Any advice...

Can you get predicted AAA and achieve those grades? If the answer is yes then you still have a chance. Just apply to the UKCAT light uni's and make sure they don't need a b in your fourth AS.
Reply 582
Would 665 be too low for Sheffield? I really want to apply there. Thanks.
Reply 583
I got 625 and my gcses are 1A* 6A 3B NVQ ICT AS-aaab
does this mean i dnt have a chance
Reply 584
Thanks for the awesome thread guys, reading it has been really helpful.
I've just done my UKCAT and got:
VR 630
QR 740
AR 650
DA 710
With a total score of 2730 and 682.5, what does this mean?
For uni's such as Newcastle and Sheffield, this thread suggests the UKCAT is really important...does this mean that with those UKCAT scores, even if I were to get 4 A's at A2, and have 10A*'s at GCSE, I wouldn't be considered as a serious applicant?

Please advise,

Mike

[Please quote this in replies :smile: ]
just did my ukcat and got an average of 560 :frown: I know its really bad. I want to study medicine more than anything else.
GCSE 4A* 8A 3B
AS (bio.chem. maths and sociology) AAAA
A2 predicted A*A*A
where can I apply ??/
I don't want to apply to any london unis or any BMAT unis
please reply
I really need advice

thanksssssssss
Reply 586
Hi all.
Just bombed out badly on my UKCAT today, i got av 640 with
550 VR
690QR
650AR
690DA
i have 7 A*s an A and a B for my GCSEs, and am predicted all As for A2. Do you reccomend that i apply to unis that do not weigh the UKCAT that highly with my current grades?
Thank you
[please quote this in replied :biggrin: ]
VR-560
QR-690
AR-580
DA-590
This averages out to 605, which is at least over the 600 boundary, but it's still really sh*t in my opinion. I got 2A*, 6A, 3B. Got AAA in A-level and BB for AS. Currently doing a BSc Degree in Biomedical Sciences, predicted 1st class degree.

Experiences working with children (for 3 years) and old people. Shadowed doctors and nurses in hospital and GP surgeries. Also, work experience in hospital pathology lab. Did some 6th form college tutoring. St John's ambulance for a year. Adult Spanish classes.

Do people think I even have a chance? I mean my UKCAT is pretty sh*t. Also, most universities look at UKCAT like there is no tomorrow nowadays. I've already applied before and failed miserably. This time I just want to have a better idea of where I actually have a chance.

Thank you all for any advice.
Reply 588
Baki

EDIT: By bad I mean anything between 599 - 500.

So your options are:s-smilie:o all in all, if you get poor UKCAT grades its not the end of the world. It just means you might have to change your plans around a bit.

:

Hey ok so can I ask what would you consider a good UKCAt score... like an average score that most medical apaplicant who Get Offers would have ? :biggrin: cheers
Reply 589
Godin_D
Hey ok so can I ask what would you consider a good UKCAt score... like an average score that most medical apaplicant who Get Offers would have ? :biggrin: cheers

That really does change from institution to institution. Like I said before, people with below 600 scores have received offers.

In terms what I generally consider "good", I would say anything above 630.
Mikey1789
Thanks for the awesome thread guys, reading it has been really helpful.
I've just done my UKCAT and got:
VR 630
QR 740
AR 650
DA 710
With a total score of 2730 and 682.5, what does this mean?
For uni's such as Newcastle and Sheffield, this thread suggests the UKCAT is really important...does this mean that with those UKCAT scores, even if I were to get 4 A's at A2, and have 10A*'s at GCSE, I wouldn't be considered as a serious applicant?

Please advise,

Mike

[Please quote this in replies :smile: ]

Sheffield cut of was 680 or thereabouts, may have increased this year

Ring admissions, obviously apply to birmingham as they don't use ukcat and will jizz over your GCSEs
Reply 591
i did my ukcat about two weeks ago and performed pretty badly..

VR=620
QR=610
AR=610
DA=650
average = 622.5

i have 5A*s and 5As at GCSE, got AAAA in my AS levels and will most likely be predicted A*A*A for A2.. i'm thinking of applying to leeds, liverpool, manchester and maybe nottingham/keele/leicester.. i know manchester looks at ukcat quite a lot but manchester would be my first choice ideally and i would LOVE to get in.. on their website they said:

As a guide, last year we interviewed candidates with a range of UKCAT scores between 1990 and 3160; the majority of applicants invited for interview had achieved a total UKCAT score of 2580 or above.

they still interviewed people with low scores (1990) so do i still have a chance?? please help!! thanks xxx
Reply 592
It's not that bad.

Don't apply to KCL, Bart's, Newcastle and Sheffield.
You may find that those with lower UKCAT scores were part of their partners scheme (widening access). If you are uncertain about applying then e-mail Linda Harding (admissions bod) - she's helpful and straight to the point. While you want Manchester, it may be a really high risk option when you only have 4 choices.
Reply 594
Despite loads of practice, I only managed a meagre average 550 on UKCAT. I have been contemplating whether to really go for the access to medicine course. Is there a point in continunig with the course when ukcat is low. I dont feel i have much choices applying to med school now. any advice would be appreciated.

i am relatively new to this forum and its confusing where exactly to look for answers. the Big ukcat thread seems long but doesnt answer my question at all.

Regards
Why not apply to unis that use the BMAT or don't use an admissions test at all? Your options will depend on how you did at gcse and AS level though. . .
Look in the Medicine Subforum and at the "Stickies."
There is a large thread dedicated to this problem where you should be able to find good advice:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=965152

Spacecam
Look in the Medicine Subforum and at the "Stickies."

I don't think it's actually a sticky, is it? I just went to link it and was surprised that it wasn't.
Reply 598
what are your AS grades and GCSEs like?

Apply to 2 non-ukcat unis and 2 bmat unis
or 3 non-ukcat unis.
Reply 599
well, I am originally from india with school qualifications from there. however I am Nurse working here, this is why i chose to access to medicine. Not sure wheter to go for it. I mean is it worth doing this courese with my Ukcat of 550.

Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending