The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Thingeh
Lots of applicants for psychology degrees don't have Psychology qualifications at secondary school level.

However, English A2 is probably more than sufficient for Psychology SL/HL.

you mean i don't really have to take psychology in IB to study psychology in Uni?

Anyways i'm not too sure if ill take psychology course, i might take business and management instead...you know a backup plan...

"] :woo:
Reply 381
pmd
hello!
I'm about to start the IB but i still have some doubts..
I'd like to study in an Ivy League university or in Cambridge/Oxford either medicine or geography or environmental science

so.. this is what i've chosen so far:

HL:
English
Geography
Chemistry

SL
Maths
Spanish
Biology (and.. i'm not 100% sure, i don't know if it's necessary to have 2science subjects for the careers im thinking of.. i don't know if it would be okay if i chose French or History, what would these universities appreciate the most?)

Also I have this doubt because i like french/history/biology equally and I'm good at the 3 of them

Thanks in advance!!!!

Base on what i know, if you ever want to get into medicine in University, you will need at least two sciences. So i guess you should study both CHem and Bio.
I'm not sure but i think you will have the advantage in admission to faculty of medicine if you taken two HL science which is HL CHem & BIo. and that is if you can get 6s and 7s in both sciences at HL.
Reply 382
Mykk3i
you mean i don't really have to take psychology in IB to study psychology in Uni?

Anyways i'm not too sure if ill take psychology course, i might take business and management instead...you know a backup plan...

"] :woo:

Yah that's exactly what I mean.

It does help though.
Reply 383
Mykk3i
What should i do??!! MY subject choices are due soon!!
i want to do accounting too!! HAha
but you see my math suck! Do you think ill be alright if i choose this option?
HL: English A2, Business and Management, Economics
SL: Chinese A1, Math, Psychology/Chem

well actually i want to study med too.

I don't think that would be a very good idea, because if you want to get into good universities I'm afraid math HL is like a requirement. Move the english down and do math higher. If you want to medicine, move chemistry higher and do business SL. Therefore:

HL Maths
HL Chemistry
HL Economics
SL Chinese
SL Business
SL English

It's the best choice. Relatively, if you dont like math you probably would not like accounting since it's a bit of math. My dad's an accountant, partner of Deloitte (a multinational)
Reply 384
AngelxPop
I don't think that would be a very good idea, because if you want to get into good universities I'm afraid math HL is like a requirement. Move the english down and do math higher. If you want to medicine, move chemistry higher and do business SL. Therefore:

HL Maths
HL Chemistry
HL Economics
SL Chinese
SL Business
SL English

It's the best choice. Relatively, if you dont like math you probably would not like accounting since it's a bit of math. My dad's an accountant, partner of Deloitte (a multinational)

oo, that would be a nice combination but i must do at least a A1 in language. Moreover my chem teacher is deciding whether or not he will let me to CHem HL plus my math is not that good, my teacher won't allow me to take Math HL

THx! though!

But would the university want both economics and business? i mean can i just take business at either hl or sl?

.em///thx again lol
Reply 385
Mykk3i
Base on what i know, if you ever want to get into medicine in University, you will need at least two sciences. So i guess you should study both CHem and Bio.
I'm not sure but i think you will have the advantage in admission to faculty of medicine if you taken two HL science which is HL CHem & BIo. and that is if you can get 6s and 7s in both sciences at HL.

thank you soo much :smile:
Hey :smile:

I applied to read Medicine in the UK this year, and as far as I know Chemistry HL is essential (but it's not TOO difficult so don't worry). I think it might be alright if you take Bio SL with that. However, I would advise you to contact the universities that you are thinking of applying to, and asking them about the subjects/levels(HL or SL)/grades they require for each subject. That will be your safest bet.

I don't think you'll need Maths HL for Medicine; Maths SL should suffice for the maths used in Medicine. (Also, Maths HL is very hard, so if you don't feel confident at it it's better to stick to SL).
Hope this helps. Good luck!
Another advice for your language choice:
While English A1 and Chinese A1 are in the same level, the cut-off grade boundary for Chinese A1 is harsher than English A1 i.e. you will need more raw points to score a higher band (1 to 7 in this case).
This is probably due to the fact that there are tons of hard-working, linguistic-fluent Chinese students up in the mainland who take Chinese A1 as their first language. Competing with them would be strenuous.
Also by looking at your MYP grades in Chinese A (I assume it's 1-7 right?) I suggest you to consider carefully before enrolling into the Chinese A1 course.
Hi, right now I am in Yr 11 so next year I have to choose my IB subjects.
I definitely do NOT want to choose the wrong subjects but here is what I have in mind:

HL Math
HL Bio
HL Art

SL Chinese B
SL English A1
SL Psychology

I honestly do not know what I want pursue later on in life or enter whatever university, but I just want to ask:
what can I do with these subjects?? or what can I study?

Like for example, if i change bio or physics, then with physics, art and math HL, I can study to become a architect but I do not like physics so I am not entirely sure...
At the moment, I have only chosen subjects that I like.
Please tell me what kinds of options do I have?
Thanks very much :smile:
Reply 389
hotchococolate
Hi, right now I am in Yr 11 so next year I have to choose my IB subjects.
I definitely do NOT want to choose the wrong subjects but here is what I have in mind:

HL Math
HL Bio
HL Art

SL Chinese B
SL English A1
SL Psychology

I honestly do not know what I want pursue later on in life or enter whatever university, but I just want to ask:
what can I do with these subjects?? or what can I study?

Like for example, if i change bio or physics, then with physics, art and math HL, I can study to become a architect but I do not like physics so I am not entirely sure...
At the moment, I have only chosen subjects that I like.
Please tell me what kinds of options do I have?
Thanks very much :smile:

Hi there (: I think your subject choices are really amazing, and it would really be a shame to not do physics. Math and physics are very good together as you can study many subjects, such as engineering, a lot of sciences (neuroscience, areology etc), math, computer science, physics, architect, etc...

Biology is an amazing subject as well, but however you need chemistry if you want to get anywhere with biology. But I guess it is better to do a subject you enjoy rather than a subject you don't (physics), but is really entirely up to you. Biology, maths, and art don't really go together. To be an architecture, physics is a requirement in good universities and beneficial to your life in the future if you want to be an architect.

The options you have are:
- maths
- art
- business/economics
I can't really say on the top of my head, but math HL will open up many doors. I would recommend you to switch bio to physics...but if you really don't like it, don't force yourself as it is a 2 year course :wink:
Reply 390
I am definitely in a terrible situation here. I want to apply for Psychology (my school only offers SL) but it seems that i can only take business and management because i don't have enough higher level subjects and it saddens me (even though there is no essay for business!)

I have two QUESTIONS!

Question1:
Would universities prefer me with a higher grade in English with a low grade in chinese or the other way around? (EIther one of the language is A1 and the other is A2)

Questions 2:
Currently i have a few problems with my choices, which do you think would work best if i want to apply for Medicine(mostly going for psychology) and my back up Business(accounting/finance/marketing)??

CHoice 1: SL: Math, Psychology, A1 language
HL: Bio, Chem, A2 language

CHoice 2: SL: Math, A1 language, A2 language
HL: Bio, Chem, Business & management

Choice 3: SL: Math, Chem, A1 language
HL: Bio, Business & management, A2 language

I need a solution quick><!
If you want my current grades to help me make my decision please tell me!
Thcx-
Reply 391
BUmp3i-
Psychology at A level is pretty much a basic version of what you do in your first year of a psychology degree...
with that in mind...
If english is your first language (or you can prove you can speak it v.well) then go for the higher grade in chinese, so long as your english grade is also good (b+)
Choice 2 looks good, you've got the subjects you'd need for medicine, and an intro to business.
Just my opinion....
Reply 393
Which of the two is a better choice?
I want to study medicine in University but incase i don't get in, business and management could be my back up.

So should i take B&M HL or Psychology SL?

What do you think i should study for my two years in IB?:woo:
Reply 394
icecreambunnie
Psychology at A level is pretty much a basic version of what you do in your first year of a psychology degree...
with that in mind...
If english is your first language (or you can prove you can speak it v.well) then go for the higher grade in chinese, so long as your english grade is also good (b+)
Choice 2 looks good, you've got the subjects you'd need for medicine, and an intro to business.
Just my opinion....

oki:] thx! i was also thinking of choosing choice 2 unless i drop my chemistry to SL!

way better as it's very scientific oriented on one hand but also has A 1 and 2 languages which shows that you can write essays. However if you decided to do eng A1 you could do the 2nd lang B, which would be way easier!
Reply 396
moonlight_freakout

way better as it's very scientific oriented on one hand but also has A 1 and 2 languages which shows that you can write essays. However if you decided to do eng A1 you could do the 2nd lang B, which would be way easier!

I want this choice too but firstly i might not be able to do well in both bio and chem HL in fact i might fail chem HL. Even though i think i'll get a 5 in MYP but feels like it's not good enough, my teacher threatens me :s-smilie: )

I am now considering maybe i should drop Chem to SL and therefore i cannot take psychology (as said my skl only offers sl for psyh)

Another reason is because i will not only struggle on chem + psyh(reading n writing intensive) but also Chinese as i might get a 3 or 4.

I won't be able to get a full diploma if i do language b/

I'm just not sure whether or not i will be able to enter the medicine field in university with a predicted score above 36.
I'm taking BM HL right now, and it's my favorite subject. It really depends on what you wanna do. I'm gonna study international business in university in 2011, so it's ideal for me! If you like business, it's amazing. I really enjoy doing it.

About the uni thing, check with your career adviser about what subjects you'll need (biology, chem etc.) and then choose what other subjects you want. As long as you know which subjects are required to study medicine in that country and you do well in those, pick psychology if that's what you want :wink:
Reply 398
VioletHour
I'm taking BM HL right now, and it's my favorite subject. It really depends on what you wanna do. I'm gonna study international business in university in 2011, so it's ideal for me! If you like business, it's amazing. I really enjoy doing it.

About the uni thing, check with your career adviser about what subjects you'll need (biology, chem etc.) and then choose what other subjects you want. As long as you know which subjects are required to study medicine in that country and you do well in those, pick psychology if that's what you want :wink:

well yeh im taking bio and chem already. Many uni don't require psyh now but thats what i want to study however it's writing intensive and there essay so i might not do it.

I heard that there is no essay for business right??"D
is it hard studying businesS like learning all those strategies? lol i actually like business too but not as much as psyh (i just hope there is less work xP)

btw do you have any example?? anything would do, just kind of wanting to get the idea of Business HL xD loly one more question if you are studying econ + business, which would u prefer for accounting/banking/finance and such? x} thxxxx
Mykk3i
well yeh im taking bio and chem already. Many uni don't require psyh now but thats what i want to study however it's writing intensive and there essay so i might not do it.

I heard that there is no essay for business right??"D
is it hard studying businesS like learning all those strategies? lol i actually like business too but not as much as psyh (i just hope there is less work xP)

btw do you have any example?? anything would do, just kind of wanting to get the idea of Business HL xD loly one more question if you are studying econ + business, which would u prefer for accounting/banking/finance and such? x} thxxxx

Hmm, well bm is pretty easy for me, since it's all logical and I mostly think logical, so it's hard to say if it's hard or not for everyone. I think many people in my class find it hard, and yes, there's tons of strategies and charts and stuff you have to learn, but as long as you study you'll do fine.

You have to do an internal assessment for business though, where you personally have contact with a business to get information. It can be a bit tricky, but very interesting :rolleyes:

The book we have is huge, and there's tons of stuff you just have to read over and over again to remember, so it's not a course you can sleep through. I tried though!

It's a lot about case studies, you learn the things by taking up examples and working through them, at least we do. But all in all you learn a lot, and if you wanna study bm in the future this is definitely an advantage. There's marketing, budgets and so much more.

I know that you should never ever use wikipedia :p: but I stole this from there (I don't have my book at home atm, but this sounds like what we've done):

"An Introduction to Organizations including the need for business organisations, the different types of organizations and their objectives.
The External Environment including different environments in which organisations operate.
Marketing including marketing strategies to achieve organisational objectives and in response to the changing environment.
Human Resource Management including the way people influence, and are influenced by, organisations in order to achieve organisational objectives.
Operations Management including operation decision making, linking, in particular, with human resource management, quality assurance and customer care.
Accounting and Finance including how organisations manage their finance and the strengths and limitations of the tools of financial analysis."

I don't take economics, I sucked at it when I tried. But since I only take bm and math studies, I would never ever apply for finance or anything like that. But if I was going to, I think I'd choose economics. Did this help at all?

Latest

Trending

Trending