The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

/dev/null
Sorry for being a pedant and having standards.

The standard that people should have to use British spelling on a website because the server is in the UK? Yes, you should be sorry for that utterly worthless standard.
near_comatose
The standard that people should have to use British spelling on a website because the server is in the UK? Yes, you should be sorry for that utterly worthless standard.

Math is just incorrect. Your undertaking the study of Mathematics, Maths is a contraction of Mathematics. Math is not. I've never heard anyone say "the study of Mathematic", ever.

While i'm here, I also hate how Americans say "that's so addicting"... again completely incorrect.
Reply 582
Physics is beautiful. No matter how hard you find it, it's always worth pursuing the dream!
/dev/null
Math is just incorrect. Your undertaking the study of Mathematics, Maths is a contraction of Mathematics. Math is not. I've never heard anyone say "the study of Mathematic", ever.

While i'm here, I also hate how Americans say "that's so addicting"... again completely incorrect.

You're welcome.
near_comatose

You just proved my point?
/dev/null
You just proved my point?

It's quite obviously not incorrect.
Reply 586
i was wondering what would be better for doing LAW in the future - IB or A levels?? (hopefully at cambridge/UCL etc)

i know most people who apply at cambridge (etc) have the usual scores of A* and As ..so it won't stand out. but i was just wondering what are the pros and cons of both courses?

and personal feedback of the IB? and whether it was a good choice to take? by the way, which subjects would you recommend in IB (for law or which are most difficult < which i should avoid taking etc) and for A level (for law)?

..im just really confused :/ .. and is IB really as difficult as people say? ALSO how many UCAS points can you get from IB and A levels?
xjjdy
i was wondering what would be better for doing LAW in the future - IB or A levels?? (hopefully at cambridge/UCL etc)

i know most people who apply at cambridge (etc) have the usual scores of A* and As ..so it won't stand out. but i was just wondering what are the pros and cons of both courses?

and personal feedback of the IB? and whether it was a good choice to take? by the way, which subjects would you recommend in IB (for law or which are most difficult < which i should avoid taking etc) and for A level (for law)?

..im just really confused :/ .. and is IB really as difficult as people say? ALSO how many UCAS points can you get from IB and A levels?

Remember that IB is designed to challenge top students, so only take it if you're properly confident you can cope with the really high standard. Cambridge's standard offer for IB is like 38 points or something, minimum, and ideally you'd be wanting 39, 40 or so.

I never had the option to take IB and it's something I always feel quite disappointed about. If you are academically bright, A-levels and equivalent will just bore the crap out of you. Yes, IB is meant to be a lot of work (look in the other threads in this section for an indication- and that's taking into account the TSR bias of most posters here being geniuses) but if you want a real challenge and a course that will prepare you well for uni, IB is very well looked upon.

On the other hand, A-levels will give you lots of time to focus on extra-curriculars and other interests, and will allow you an easier time.
xjjdy

Well, I guess it depends on what courses you're able to study.
IB is a good choice to take but you have to be willing to put a lot of time down into studying. Most people seem to say that A levels is easier. UCAS points don't really matter, universities generally don't follow the UCAS points system.

I have no clue what subjects are good for law but go for subjects you feel that you'd be best at. Avoid taking 'soft' subjects - trinity college cambridge has a list of subjects which they consider more suitable than others: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

It's really up to you... A levels seem easier - as they take less subjects - but their subjects are more in depth, you also have more freedom when picking your subjects. for the IB you have to take English, a science, maths, a humanities etc... so if you happen to be bad at one subject but have to study it, it'll affect your entire grade.
Reply 589
Xelb
x

Don't worry....I took physics SL and its a really easy course :smile:
And there's a really low grade boundary :smile: Like 68% for a 7
And there isn't any advanced math at all :smile:
Reply 590
I'm just finishing IB1 doing

English A1 HL
History HL
Chemistry HL
Math SL
French B SL
German A1 SL

I'm pretty much bilingual German/English but haven't really been in many German classes until this year. I was originally going to take German A2 but my teacher said she was unfamiliar with it so I'd probably get a better grade in A1 anyways or otherwise I could just do B HL.

However after the first year I just realized I don't really like reading in German which is basically all the A1 course is, also I'm pretty sure I'd get a 5 in the exam which is really less than what I want. So do you think it would be better just registering for the A2 exam next year 'cause I think B HL would just be taking the easy option out and with A2 I could still get a bilingual diploma.. ?

So question is, German A1 or A2 really ?
Reply 591
Well first you needa ask yourself can you speak german fluently, because to handle A1/A2 you needa be nearly fluent in speaking and writing and there's a huge difference in approach and quantity of IAs in both courses, whereas in B you just needa take 2 orals and not written assignments. So you should consider with your teacher which option suits best for you because I guess you should have done or started doing some IAs so no point starting all over again. Well getting a 5 in a foreign A1 language is already a great achievement I guess, in terms of competitveness with those who are fluent.

So i guess you should think will doing A2 makes your workload increase and time to adapt the difference in approaches to the course.

For me I guess you should stick with A1 because in A2 you do lots of reading too.!
nsb92
I'm just finishing IB1 doing

English A1 HL
History HL
Chemistry HL
Math SL
French B SL
German A1 SL

I'm pretty much bilingual German/English but haven't really been in many German classes until this year. I was originally going to take German A2 but my teacher said she was unfamiliar with it so I'd probably get a better grade in A1 anyways or otherwise I could just do B HL.

However after the first year I just realized I don't really like reading in German which is basically all the A1 course is, also I'm pretty sure I'd get a 5 in the exam which is really less than what I want. So do you think it would be better just registering for the A2 exam next year 'cause I think B HL would just be taking the easy option out and with A2 I could still get a bilingual diploma.. ?

So question is, German A1 or A2 really ?

It's really up to you, I'm not sure how many books you read in A2 compared to A1. You've got summer to do a lot of reading - if you're willing to. But if you really don't want to I guess go down to A2.
I'd say go down to A2 so that you can get a higher grade (:
You're doing three languages so would that make you eligible for the bilingual diploma? or does it have to be two A1s or one A1 + one A2...
I'm taking two A1's and I really don't mind the reading so I'm sticking with it. :smile:
so i'm wondering if my subject choices are a waste of time:

Philosophy HL
Physics HL
Chinese HL

Math SL
English SL
Art SL

mostly because i've got physics higher and math standard, and it seems if i want to go down that route most unis want maths higher, so am i wasting my time with physics? and secondly because i really wouldn't mind switching to D&T higher, as i'm doing it now in GCSEs and am passing with flying colours.
secondly, are the higher and standard arrangements tough? with all the subjects i've taken as standard, the teachers have also told me that i'm capable of doing higher, so i'm down for the most useful/easy combination.

thanks.
Reply 594
Well it depends to what career path you will take. I mean if you wanna do Engineering sorta degree in uni, you MUST do physics and maths HL, but if you like physics and you take it at HL thats fine. Well its not a waste of time such that you know what you wanna do in uni.
Reply 595
Hey guys, I am about to start IB, I was just wondering do you think there is any benefit in doing 4 higher levels instead of the usual 3. Do you think your application would be considered higher when you apply for unis if you do 4 hls rather than 3?
Reply 596
Zirek
Hey guys, I am about to start IB, I was just wondering do you think there is any benefit in doing 4 higher levels instead of the usual 3. Do you think your application would be considered higher when you apply for unis if you do 4 hls rather than 3?

The advantage is that you study an extra subject in depth (which can be interesting) and you have the freedom to cut back your workload without losing the diploma. I don't think universities would pay that much attention to it, to be honest.

Depending on the subjects, it can be a lot of work; especially when suddenly in the second year you realise you have next to no free periods ever. I survived, though. *touch wood*
Reply 597
Zirek

Unis dont care in the slightest bit!!! Their normal requirements usually specify the grade of your 3 HL subjects, ie. it is a waste of time and effort to do a 4th HL subject which wont be considered as an advantage over others, in fact, if you get a lower grade becoz doing a 4th HL, that matters!!!
Reply 598
Thanks jc_bach and dbmag9! :smile:
Reply 599
Hey guys! I'm kind of finishing to sort out my IB program, so here is how far I got:

Italian A1 HL
English A1 HL
Biology (HL Course BUT with SL Exam, Italian Legislation... go figure!)
EITHER History HL OR French B HL

Math (SL Course BUT with Studies Exam, once again Italian Legislation)
Biology (See above)
Either History or French

So, looking beyond my really messy "cheating the law" system, would you recommended I take History or French HL? I've been studying French for the past five years at B level and achieved a DELF B1 diploma this year, but I also really like History!

Suggestions? :woo:

Latest

Trending

Trending